Thread: kotzebue air taxis for moose

Default kotzebue air taxis for moose

i know this has been hashed out several times here but i can't find the info i need through the search feature. does anyone have any reccomendations for air taxi services out of kotzebue for moose? the only one i can find is mike spisak with ram aviation. anyone have any experiences good/bad from ram aviation. their prices seem high but not sure what the going rates are out of kotzebue.

thanks.

Golden Eagle Outfitters. They are based in Delta but also operate out of Kotz during hunting season.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I would look for someone other than whom you have listed

that is listed in the original message

Go with Golden Eagle. I have used them and have been very happy. Them being Jarrid and Jesse. They won't BS you about the animals and what they think your chances are. Good safe pilots.

Default Kotzebue Hunt

One thing about the air taxis in Kotzebue is that it seems like they are all good operators, good pilots, good people and they are all friends! Not to many places you can go that they don't cut each others throats and talk smack about each other. We've used Ram Aviation on many hunts and they've done a good job. I met Jared in Kotzebue last year and he seemed like a nice young man. Matt next door to Ram was a wild man and the guys at Northwest were very nice. I think any of them will fly by the hour but people have to remember that they pay for all the time in the airplane and if you can't get to someplace because of the weather or you get to where you are going and someone beat you there you will continue to keep paying. I think it probably all washes out in the end price wise between the operators and probably even a set rate or by the hour equalizes in the end. One thing about a set rate is that it is set and there are no additionally charges so you can budget for your hunt. Communication before, during and after your hunt is an important service that operators need to have. Variables can cause hard feelings when your done with your hunt and you have to shell out another grand or two. All in all, Kotzebue is great place to hunt out of and the operators work together and all are friendly and in fact I have found that the majority of people in Kotzebue are very friendly and social as well.

Quote Originally Posted by grizschmitz View Post
    I would look for someone other than whom you have listed
    griz, thanks for your opinion. do you care to elaborate your experiences? a pm would work. thanks for all your opinions. i am worried that with ram aviation we are going to pay 5800 x 2 = 11,600$ and go not far from town or somewhere that it's cheap for him to take us. not that distance always equates to a better hunt experience or more and better opportunity to harvest quality animals. however, it sometimes does. who knows?

Simply put, you get what you pay for. I went with Ram Aviation after plenty of research. He has been flying in that area longer than any of the others operating there. I took a 68" bull, a nice caribou, and caught countless ten to fifteen pound char the whole time. When you look for an air taxi, safety should be a big priority, and with Spisak you can be sure you'll get in and get out safely... And also have a great shot at taking some world class game.

I flew with Northwestern Aviation the first time I went to Kodiak and had a great trip. The following year Northwestern was all booked up so despite the negative feedback I was hearing I decided to give Ram Aviation a call. I did not give him any information over the phone other than the river we wanted to be dropped off on and the dates. His prices were alot more than I had paid with Northwestern so I then told him that I had flown to the same river the year before with Jim Kincaid (Northwestern Aviation) and asked why his prices were so high. He said, and I quote, "Oh, I didnt realize you were a resident...well I can match Jim's price for you. We deal primarily with non-residents and they usually just pay whatever we want." After that conversation the red flags went up so I went with the next best reputable outfitter out of Kotzebue, which is Jared with Golden Eagle Outfitters. It is also not true that all the air taxi operators up there are buddies. Give a call to a few of the reputable ones and they can tell you about some real shady and F'd up things some of the other transporters pull. Also, if you pay real close attention while in Kotzebue you'll notice the troopers will usually head over to the same few transporters planes when they return with clients. That might give some insight as to which ones aren't so honest. Good luck on your trip

swimmer,

thanks for your insight. i am in a little different situation in that i don't know or can't say which river of exactly where i want to go. i don't have the insight to do so. i am in a situation where all i can do is tell an air taxi that i want a great moose hunt and don't mind paying for it. i am at their mercy and it stinks. if i knew a "good" river to float or a "good" stip/hunt area to fly into it would be a little easier getting quotes from the air taxi services. i did notice that their moose hunts come with a camp (supplies) so i asked if we were willing to ship our own gear our there if we could save some money. the said they would knock off 600$. 600 off 5800 still leaves a pretty stiff fee for a resident moose hunt at 5200$. for those that have flown out there in the past, did you have a good hunt for less? did you know "exactly" where to go (in other words, did you tell the pilot where to take you)? thanks.

Fall of 2010 a non res who uses this forum hired Jared of Golden Eagle. The non res had a moose draw for the Tag/Selawik area of unit 23. Jared flew him up and down the tag trying to find a place to drop him. High water that year made the little tag pretty difficult for wheeled planes. Jared ended up finding a place somewhere up the Selawik I think and dropped the guy there. He set up camp and did some calling before turning in. Next morn he poked his head out the tent and a 60 plus bull was standing there. Shot the bull from the tent. Called Jared for an early pick up and was back in Kotz the next day, if I remember correctly.
    The story was posted on the forum but I don't remember the guys forum name. It might be JEFF or JEFF P.
    Anyway, Jared is good.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

sdrhunter, my pm is not set up, I can email ya my excerience however,

Quote Originally Posted by sdrhunter View Post
    swimmer,

thanks for your insight. i am in a little different situation in that i don't know or can't say which river of exactly where i want to go. i don't have the insight to do so. i am in a situation where all i can do is tell an air taxi that i want a great moose hunt and don't mind paying for it. i am at their mercy and it stinks. if i knew a "good" river to float or a "good" stip/hunt area to fly into it would be a little easier getting quotes from the air taxi services. i did notice that their moose hunts come with a camp (supplies) so i asked if we were willing to ship our own gear our there if we could save some money. the said they would knock off 600$. 600 off 5800 still leaves a pretty stiff fee for a resident moose hunt at 5200$. for those that have flown out there in the past, did you have a good hunt for less? did you know "exactly" where to go (in other words, did you tell the pilot where to take you)? thanks.
    Sounds like you need to do some more planning and research. Couple of things, I might suggest contacting Papa bear out of Bethel and see if they have anything left, You might get lucky. THe other thing would be to contact Mike Strahan the owner of this site and see if he still has anything available. I assume that you are shooting for something this fall? If you are.. you are a little behind the power curve and may have some difficulties securing a spot.
    Semper Fi and God Bless