Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squid fishing?

Default Squid fishing?

Is there any squid fishing up here? I never really thought about it till I saw squid lures at B&J's. Id like to catch some. What are the depths/techniques/seasons/places?

I know we've discussed this before. I did buy a few squid jigs several years ago, but have never used them. From some google searches I figured I'd have to fish for them at night, and somehow after a days worth of fishing, shrimping and hiking I usually find myself sound asleep during squiding hours.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Anybody ever caught any fish in the sound with squid in their bellies? Might tell ya how many squid are out there and where???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Anybody ever caught any fish in the sound with squid in their bellies? Might tell ya how many squid are out there and where???
    I've lived in Alaska for over 20 years now and I've never heard of any squid being caught anywhere around the North Gulf Coast waters. But that doesn't mean that they don't feed on them elsewhere. I shouldn't give away my secrets, but my absolute favorite winter king lure is a squid imitator. I've caught more kings on it than any other lure I use. Sure, maybe they attack it only because it might look like something edible, but it sure works for me.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I tried it once off the dock in Auke Bay harbor here in Juneau one night because I had seen some squid a different night when I was down there for a bit. No luck, but did have a harbor seal come right up to the jig seemingly out of nowhere....Speaking of harbor seals, I think they eat a decent amount of squid. Here's a pic of one that came out of a seal, I got the photo 2nd hand off FB....

squid.jpg

With the explosion of Humbolt squid, I wouldn't be surprised if they follow schools of herring or come up in summer time, but I would think that someone would run across them with the diamond or rockfish jigs. When I worked on boats in San Diego, we'd catch Humbolts at all times of the day. At night it was easier because the baitfish would gather around the lights for them to feed on. The other squid we'd catch would be the California squid around Catalina, those squid were not hunting, they were mating on the surface under the light. We'd see them on the fish finder, but tough to catch during the day. The California squid seem to like the colder water and enjoy the California "winter and spring" with water temps in the mid 50's...like a nice summer day up here.

i remember as a kid that my dad had pulled up to a trawler down in icy bay PWS, that had been dragging for shrimp, we pulled up to buy some shrimp from him and there were about a dozen squid laying on his deck. we had a nice shrimp feed that night along with some squid steaks, they were about the size of the photo that DR.No is holding. I myself have never caught one, but i have seen them get caught.

I have caught lots of salmon in PWS with squid in their stomachs. usually seems to be around july. I have noticed that when the squid are thick the kings tend to stick around. the squid are about 5 or 6 inches long, kinda like market squid. I don't see this every summer, but the fishing is better for me when I do see them. when you bring a salmon onboard they will sometimes poop out some dark stuff that seems like ink from the squid. open up the stomach and you will see the squid. kings seem to feed on them more than silvers (maybe because they are deeper?).

I spent 20 years gillnetting in the sound and on the copper river and i have never ever seen a single squid. Granted i never caught many kings but i've caught many boatloads (sometimes 3 or 4 boatloads a day) of reds, dogs, silvers and humpies and never has one of those fish puked up a squid. I've also hacked up my share of salmon sharks getting them untangled out of the gillnets and never seen any whole or pieces parts of squid in them.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I just did a quick search on "Humboldt Squid" and "range of pacific squid" and found a number of hits saying the same thing. This is from the National Geographic News: "And, perhaps most significantly, the Humboldt squid's range has expanded both northward and southward to places they haven't ever been seen beforeóAlaska and southern Chile."

And from Squid-world.com: "In the Northern Pacific squid have been identified from the North Pacific starting at the Bering Sea all the way to the Sea of Japan."

I'd have to say finding them somewhere between South Central and Southeast AK wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. There's one important thing I've learned in my time on this planet: Just because you can't see it does not mean it isn't there." It would be interesting to hear what some of our local fish biologists have to say about squid in AK waters.

Muttley,
    with all the halibut you've caught and all the halibut that get caught and butchered in homer have you ever seen a squid or what might be squid pieces in any of them? I'm not saying they ain't out there but if there were any and in any numbers i think somebody would have a story about it?? I think between all the charter folks and the rec and commercial fishermen on here we know a LOT MORE about whats swimming out there than the fishcrats.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

We caught 1 king about 25# south of Culross 3 years ago that had a squid in the stomach. It was about the size of the B2 squids we use for halibut fishing. The squid was fresh, still had all the skin and eyes in good shape. We caught several kings that trip but that was the only squid any of us have seen. Doesn't seem to be a common occurrence up here.

Potbuilder,

Here is a picture of the one and only time I have seen a squid in PWS.

P7250088.jpg

Doug

Charterboat Operator

pot builder:
    i have caught a lot of halibut with squid in there bellies in CI...
    hmmmm.. the only reason i can think is because i was using them for bait!

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Muttley,
    with all the halibut you've caught and all the halibut that get caught and butchered in homer have you ever seen a squid or what might be squid pieces in any of them? I'm not saying they ain't out there but if there were any and in any numbers i think somebody would have a story about it?? I think between all the charter folks and the rec and commercial fishermen on here we know a LOT MORE about whats swimming out there than the fishcrats.
    Potbuilder, maybe you should do a little research on squid and squid behavior before you talk about them. As I said below, I just did a quick search of the internet and came up with those hits. I'm not saying I'm an expert on the subject, I just take what facts are presented to me and make a conclusion from that. And I can't believe that someone would state what was said on those websites about squid being found in Alaskan waters if it didn't have some basis in fact. And I doubt that these findings are from "fishcrats" (whatever that is) and are most likely reports from scientific sources.

From the little I know about them I doubt that the halibut I catch would be feeding in an area that would typically be the proper habitat for squid to reside in. Therefore it would seem to be unlikely that any of the halibut I catch would have squid in their stomach. I tend to fish where sandlances, crabs and octopus are abundant and that is backed up by what I find when I open the stomach of the halibut I pull into my boat. From the little I have read it seems squid tend to reside in very deep water (like up to and over 1000 ft. deep). I don't know about you, but I never fish in water that deep.

What I do find amusing is that you say, "but if there were any and in any numbers i think somebody would have a story about it." Well read the posts that surround your post in this thread and you will find exactly what you seem to indicate would be the most likely evidence that squid do indeed exist in Alaskan waters. There are more posts here from people that have seen squid around here (5 I believe) than from people that haven't. Hmmmmm.....

Diving here in Juneau, it's not totally uncommon to see a stubby squid and we frequently see their eggs on stuff.

A few years ago, they were catching a few larger squid off the dock in Sitka. http://juneauempire.com/stories/0524...50524009.shtml

I do know that Western Auto in Juneau has started stocking squid jigs.

Good Lord. How in the world did you read what Potbuilder wrote and interpret it the way that you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Potbuilder, maybe you should do a little research on squid and squid behavior before you talk about them. As I said below, I just did a quick search of the internet and came up with those hits. I'm not saying I'm an expert on the subject, I just take what facts are presented to me and make a conclusion from that. And I can't believe that someone would state what was said on those websites about squid being found in Alaskan waters if it didn't have some basis in fact. And I doubt that these findings are from "fishcrats" (whatever that is) and are most likely reports from scientific sources.

From the little I know about them I doubt that the halibut I catch would be feeding in an area that would typically be the proper habitat for squid to reside in. Therefore it would seem to be unlikely that any of the halibut I catch would have squid in their stomach. I tend to fish where sandlances, crabs and octopus are abundant and that is backed up by what I find when I open the stomach of the halibut I pull into my boat. From the little I have read it seems squid tend to reside in very deep water (like up to and over 1000 ft. deep). I don't know about you, but I never fish in water that deep.

What I do find amusing is that you say, "but if there were any and in any numbers i think somebody would have a story about it." Well read the posts that surround your post in this thread and you will find exactly what you seem to indicate would be the most likely evidence that squid do indeed exist in Alaskan waters. There are more posts here from people that have seen squid around here (5 I believe) than from people that haven't. Hmmmmm.....

I took a transporter to Green Island last year - the guy who took us said there were all kinds of pics at B&Js and that he had heard of people catching several types of squid at the entrances to PWS - as well as big Octopus. I'd talk to B&J folks.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Good Lord. How in the world did you read what Potbuilder wrote and interpret it the way that you did.
    Good Lord is right. Do you know how to read? He plainly states that if there were squid out there then people would have stories about the squid they've seen. And there are at least 5 different people here that say they have experienced squid in various Alaskan waters. It doesn't take an interpreter to figure that one out.

And this statement is nonsense: "I think between all the charter folks and the rec and commercial fishermen on here we know a LOT MORE about whats swimming out there than the fishcrats." First, I don't even know what a "fishcrat" is. If by "fishcrats" he means fishery biologists then I can only laugh. What in the world would make a person think that recreational and/or commercial fishermen know more about the squid population in Alaskan waters than scientists who might encounter them in their studies? What an incredible statement!

I am thinking that although there are squid out there they may not be in catchable numbers or in areas frequented by recreational boaters on a regular basis.
    Sure there are stories of people finding evidence of them but I have yet to see reports of people having success catching them recreationally in Southcentral wether on purpose or by accident. And certainly not consistently.
    Last time we tried Squid for bait My buddy bought it and I bought herring. He was bragging it up after catching 2 chickens right away and I only had nibbles on the herring. I switched rigs and proceded to catch Halibut one after the other. My buddy proceded to catch 7 skates in a row of varying sizes up 100#+ before switching to herring and catching more butts.
    I mostly find crab,herring,cod, and candlefish in the halibut we catch.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast