Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where would you go in Res Bay this weekend?

Default Where would you go in Res Bay this weekend?

So if you bought a new boat over the winter and wanted to get it in the water and maybe see if you could find a few fish to bring back, where would you go? The forecast in Res Bay is for 10 and 2, so it shouldn't be much of a problem getting to Pony, etc., but where would you go?

Thanks!

In Res bay I'd do a little prospecting for feeder kings around Rugged, Hive, and Fox. If the weather outside the bay looks good maybe drown a few herring south of Barwell around the 50 fathom line and see if you can dredge up a halibut or two.

Not wanting to a smart $&@, but besides kings, and that would be slim, I would see if the king lady is going out and if so - stay back a mile or so from her for kings. If you get butts, I think it would be by pure accident. But if you really want to go for a ride PM Andy at crackerjack and ask him, he'll give the best he knows.

For what it's worth, I tried several early runs in years past (4 to be exact) and its nice to get out but fishing or catching was better at New Sagaya's, not to mention a whole lot cheaper...

Good luck
    Tony

Looks a bit rough outside of Rugged for saturday. For me I`d head around the corner by Barwell (as mentioned) and drift the 50 line very early and get back inside by 2pm. It will be sorta rough coming back with wind from the north. I generally average the the gore pt. and res. bay to find out what kind of roller influence there will be. This shows me outside of Rugged that you could expect closer to 5` seas outside. Pony would give you a good beating on your way back.

PKZ120-111500-
    CAPE SUCKLING TO GORE POINT

400 PM AKDT TUE APR 10 2012
    .TONIGHT...NW TO NE WIND 15 KT. SEAS 5 FT.
    .WED...NE WIND 15 KT. SEAS 5 FT.
    .WED NIGHT THROUGH THU...VARIABLE WIND 10 KT. SEAS 5 FT.
    .THU NIGHT...W WIND 15 KT. SEAS 5 FT.
    .FRI...S WIND 15 KT. SEAS 4 FT.
    .SAT...E WIND 30 KT. SEAS 8 FT.
    .SUN...E WIND 20 KT. SEAS 11 FT.

$$

PKZ121-111500-
    RESURRECTION BAY

400 PM AKDT TUE APR 10 2012
    .TONIGHT...VARIABLE WIND 10 KT BECOMING N 15 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT.
    SEAS 3 FT.
    .WED...N WIND 15 KT BECOMING S IN THE AFTERNOON. SEAS 3 FT.
    .WED NIGHT...VARIABLE WIND 15 KT BECOMING N AFTER MIDNIGHT.
    SEAS 2 FT.
    .THU...N WIND 15 KT. SEAS 3 FT.
    .THU NIGHT...N WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
    .FRI...S WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
    .SAT THROUGH SUN...N WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I don't mind the 8 footers so much, but I would mind is that they come from the E and SE. Barwell could be crazy with waves bouncing around everywhere. They will probably be much bigger in front of the Capes with that wind direction. The trip to Pony could be bad. As usual, it is an on the water call. There are lots of days they blow the forecast. If the winds, tides, and seas allow for it, I try trolling the pts around the southern tip of Fox, Rugged, and Hive. They are halibut there too at times - usually later in the year.....

I've picked up a few rock fish south of Bear Glacier drifting over some drop offs. The fishing is mediocre, but you should be able to pick up a few fish.

Honestly I'd consider running out of Whittier. You can pick up some rock fish on the N end of Culross passage and the boating is generally more protected and smoother than R bay on a questionable day.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Here's the Whittier forecast for this weekend from Weather Underground
    Saturday
    Partly cloudy in the morning, then overcast. High of 34F. Winds less than 5 mph.

Saturday Night
    Overcast with a chance of snow and rain showers. Low of 28F. Winds from the ENE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 50% with accumulations up to 2 in. possible.

Sunday
    Overcast with a chance of snow and rain showers. High of 32F. Winds from the ENE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 70% with accumulations up to 5 in. possible.

Sunday Night
    Overcast with a chance of snow. Low of 28F. Winds from the NE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 70% with accumulations up to 4 in. possible.

Monday
    Overcast with a chance of snow. High of 34F. Winds from the ENE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 70% with accumulations up to 1 in. possible.

Monday Night
    Overcast with a chance of snow. Low of 28F. Winds from the NE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 70% with accumulations up to 4 in. possible.

Tuesday
    Overcast with a chance of snow. High of 30F with a windchill as low as 21F. Winds from the ENE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of snow 70% with accumulations up to 4 in. possible.

Tuesday Night
    Overcast with a chance of snow. Low of 27F. Winds from the ENE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 70% with heavy snow possible.

Wednesday
    Mostly cloudy with a chance of snow. High of 37F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of snow 40%.

I prefer the Noaa marine forecast

http://pafc.arh.noaa.gov/marfcst.php
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Of course we use the marine forecast too [will be monitoring very closely as a matter of fact] but how 'bout that wx undergrond for a quick visual ~ seems winter is not through with us just yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I prefer the Noaa marine forecast

http://pafc.arh.noaa.gov/marfcst.php

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    Of course we use the marine forecast too [will be monitoring very closely as a matter of fact] but how 'bout that wx undergrond for a quick visual ~ seems winter is not through with us just yet...
    You may already do this, but the NOAA site also has extremely good info on what the weather is doing. If you can sort through the techno-speak they use, the "Forecast Discussion" (look at top of column on the left) has really good information on what the forecasters think is going to happen today and in the next few days. I also love the "TV Weather" because it gives a very good graphic representation of what is going on around us and further away. I love the Weather Underground site and use it daily, but when I'm planning a day long trip I use them all to try and figure out exactly what's going to happen.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Thx Mutt, I'll be sure to look at the discussion area. I've been getting better at interpreting the NOAA lingo ~ at least they seem to have a better grasp on things than the local new channel meteorologists...I do like the one local Alaska channel [not one of the major networks] that goes into great detail to include the aviation portion. Not sure if it's broadcast from one of the universities or what but the channel eludes me right now.
    We always heed the weather advisory's and stay home if it looks too bad. We couldn't get out much last August because the low systems lined up on our every other weekend trips the wife didn't have to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    You may already do this, but the NOAA site also has extremely good info on what the weather is doing. If you can sort through the techno-speak they use, the "Forecast Discussion" (look at top of column on the left) has really good information on what the forecasters think is going to happen today and in the next few days. I also love the "TV Weather" because it gives a very good graphic representation of what is going on around us and further away. I love the Weather Underground site and use it daily, but when I'm planning a day long trip I use them all to try and figure out exactly what's going to happen.

These shortcuts are my best friend on my Smart Phone http://climate.gi.alaska.edu/Wx/current.html http://www.arh.noaa.gov/wmofcst.php?...FC&type=marine

If I were home, heading out and this was my new boat, I'd hit the Pot Barn, gear up, get a few pointers from Steve and Hit PWS and soak some shrimp pots and take in the sights.

Thx Mutt, I'll be sure to look at the discussion area. I've been getting better at interpreting the NOAA lingo ~ at least they seem to have a better grasp on things than the local new channel meteorologists...I do like the one local Alaska channel [not one of the major networks] that goes into great detail to include the aviation portion. Not sure if it's broadcast from one of the universities or what but the channel eludes me right now.
    We always heed the weather advisory's and stay home if it looks too bad. We couldn't get out much last August because the low systems lined up on our every other weekend trips the wife didn't have to work.
    As everyone of us knows all too well a weather forecast and marine forecast are only as good as the person making that forecast. I moved to Homer from Anchorage because I was sick of driving all the way down here because the weather forecast was favorable only to find that it was totally unfishable. I'm lucky because I can actually see what the water looks like from my kitchen window now, but I've also had WAY too many days in the past of not going out fishing because the NOAA marine forecast was for 5 ft. seas in K-Bay and when I drove down to my boat to do some work on it found that from the Spit out as far as you could see was a slight wind chop and 6 inch rollers. And then there have been the times it says there will be 2 ft. seas and driving out the Spit I've turned around half way out when there were 5 ft. breakers on the beach. LOL! Over the years I've lived in Homer I've learned to put about 33% faith in what the NOAA marine forecast says it will be. When they say there are going to be gale force winds and 8 ft. seas you can usually count on it, but variances of a few feet on smaller weather days is not uncommon.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I am envious you live in Homer.....I agree with you Dave on any forecast, they are right a lot of the time. The problem lies that they are only right about 1/2 the time on a good day. I have gone out on plenty of days when they said 10 foot seas to be in 2-3 footers. I have gone out with just the opposite too.....On the water decision as I said.....I wouldn't be too shocked to see huge seas, or the best conditions known to mankind.....

I do like the one local Alaska channel [not one of the major networks] that goes into great detail to include the aviation portion. Not sure if it's broadcast from one of the universities or what but the channel eludes me right now.
    PBS ch.7
    They have Alaska Weather on every night 5:30-6:00. They do statewide weather first, then a weird break with an Alaskan interview, or film clip, then last half has the aviation and marine observations/forecasts. It is the only one to watch. Forget the other weather guys/gals!! NOAA has the TV graphics from the show here http://pafc.arh.noaa.gov/tvwx.php

I think I am going out of Seward on Friday for a shakedown run. I will send you a pm with some contact info for me, and I would be glad to let you know what I find.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

No matter what, it will be far more fun than sitting at home on the coach.....By far......

Yep, that's the one I like...Thanks ~ wife hit me the other night with the prospect of heading out of town and living on one of the costal communities in 5 years when she can retire. Maybe one day soon I can look out our window and see for myself . Just towed the boat out from side yard and ran the engines ~ just about ready...

Quote Originally Posted by bkbaker View Post
    PBS ch.7
    They have Alaska Weather on every night 5:30-6:00. They do statewide weather first, then a weird break with an Alaskan interview, or film clip, then last half has the aviation and marine observations/forecasts. It is the only one to watch. Forget the other weather guys/gals!! NOAA has the TV graphics from the show here http://pafc.arh.noaa.gov/tvwx.php

Quote Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
    So if you bought a new boat over the winter and wanted to get it in the water and maybe see if you could find a few fish to bring back, where would you go? The forecast in Res Bay is for 10 and 2, so it shouldn't be much of a problem getting to Pony, etc., but where would you go?

Thanks!

Just bringing this back to the top - wondering if you went out this past weekend? Any luck and how did your new boat worked out for you?
    Tony

We decided not to go last weekend. The weather just didn't look inviting. I had the boat out on the water weekend before last for a brief time, she's a beauty! Going to take a little time to figure out exactly how she needs to be loaded to run level and true, but really easy to drive and a great ride. Now she just needs to get a little bloody and we're all set! Only have one day this weekend, so a day trip to the Sound or Res Bay might be in order.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast