Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where to take my new bronco 2

Default where to take my new bronco 2

im hearing jims creek a week ago was ok with alot of snow.
    how about this week? should i head out today and have some fun?
    also i was thinking about trying the eklutna trails aswell.
    if anyone has any info please call me and you should know the area code .... 748 7788

thanks Chad

also, is there any other places around anchorage i can go?

Eklutna Lake trail is restricted for anything bigger than a Polaris Ranger. there are posts set in the ground limiting size.
    Jim creek is where you want to go anyway with that rig.

jims creek today is where i want to go?
    and the bronco II is kinda small but not sure if it would fit because i havent been there.
    thanks for the info! im going to try and get another buddy with a truck to go out with me incase i get stuck..
    if anyone wants to go text or call me.

Eklutna isn't about fitting. It is illegal to drive a highway vehicle there. Even if you fit (and you would cause its a road) you would get fined for doing it. I haven't been out there but I am sure you could find somewhere to have fun out at Jim creek. Just tread lightly and haul your junk out.

ok i just seen on the gov websight ATVS are aloud so i figured i have an atv right? lol (im seriously not sure on that law, please proove me wrong if so)

but i went to jims creek, creeped out and up some little trails on the way out. then got to almost the beach and my buddy was like go up that!
    so i tried.. then i was stuck in the snow. about 45 min of rocking, burning my clutch, digging, and alot of other effort went in. then it was out.
    then i went right into another hole..
    rocked about an hour. digging what we could... it was in a puddle basically just spinning, high centered on snow. (dang record snowfall!)
    rocked it till it moved over like 8 inches out of the hole it made. and we were stuck still..
    the starter gets stuck spinning bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    so i started pulling fuses under my dash in and out.
    then i smelt fire. electric fire... the noise stopped and we waited.
    it didnt start.. sat a while and waited calling people to pick us out.

with a truck on the way for $20 bucks in gas, 2 ladies on horses ride by.

i yell out the window "HEY WE NEED SOME HORSE POWER TO GET US OUT!!!!" LMFAO (hoping it will start)

and it did

so they try with my 2 straps. and dang can a horse pull. although it wasnt enough.

the truck got there,then got stuck about 3/4 mile back. my buddy ran to it and put it in 4 low and got it out.

I TYPED SO MUCH AND IT SIGNED ME OUT WHAT THE FACK!
    i gota do some work, then ill finish the story.

Well, I think you proved that you do not have a real ATV, just a road vehicle with four wheel drive and low clearance. With a lot of money invested, you can turn it into a real off road vehicle if you want to. Get with the offroad vehicle club and find out what it will take, then start going on outings with them to learn their methods.

chadcmb
    It sure sounds like you had your hands full. It also sounds like you need to make some more 'upgrades' to have a better off road vehicle. Two of the guys that work for me have been working on a 'older' model Bronco most of the winter. They have put a 6" life on it, upgraded the tires and suspension. They currently have 35" mud tires on it but it is set up for 37" tires. Another thing that you have over looked is a good winch.
    However it does sound like you are on the way to be able to get out and enjoy the back country.

well you see, i have an 04 chevy 2500hd.
    took it to jim cr a few years ago and it clunked after. havent mobbed again with it.
    only putting out and alittle splashing here and there when im going fishing.

Iv always wanted a mobber rig, so i put on craigslist i have 1000 in silver or cash for a truck.
    someone with this emailed me and i ended up picking it up for $865
    its been 500 miles or so and no problems, accept fuel pump wire had to be retaped at battery(fast fix that i thought was a huge problem)

where is a good cheep winch. not cheep parts, Although quality and price is what i want. (we all want to save)
    what about a used winch?

and next time im bringing a shovel.

History. its a 86 bronco 2 with 3 inch lift and 31s.
    solid front axel (not sure if this is stock or aftermarket???)
    came with brand new rotors and pads for the front.
    has kevalar clutch. and stock (aparently still usable) clutch in back.

this is what he said is new..
    New part on it are: water pump, distributer cap, roller button, starter solenoid, fuel filter, timeing adjusted, sunroof, sparkplugs, oil change. brakes

so for 865 i think it was a steal!
    im just getting started. anyone got a good write up with pictures of a homemade snorkel? or premade?
    i found 2 links but id like more if available.

thanks!

hakoonamatata..... no worries............

chadcmd
    It sounds like you are on your way to have a fun rig. Many years ago I bought a 75 CJ5, that was the frame, running gear tub, block and 5 boxes of parts. Paid $600.00 for it. Several months and $3500.00 later I had a good rig to have fun with. If you have not already done so, get with the folks that take their rigs out there and see what mods they have done. Learn from those of us that have already made lots of mistakes.
    Keep us posted on your trips.

I encourage you to check out alaska4x4network.com.

The Anchorage based 4x4 club is alaska extreme 4x4 (I'm a member)
    A Valley based club is 2 Broke 2 Play 4 Wheelers (I'm VP)

2B2P has a car show May 12th at carquest in Wasilla if you want to swing by and chat.

Also, feel free to get a hold of me anytime if you need a hand getting out of a jam or help wrenching.

Chris Gray
    529-0079
    Chris_lee_gray@hotmail.com

Nothing like rutting the trails to crap before the riding season even really starts.

I bet that Bronc would do just fine at Knik in the summer time. For those of you who have not been to Jim Creek in the past couple weeks IT IS FRIGGIN NASTY OUT THERE, especially so by the dunes. The wind over the winter piled the snow at the dunes between the upper and lower trails to Jim Creek. Now that it is melting just about anything larger than a ranger will have trouble around Jim Creek.

It's a bronco 2 take it to the junk yard and get a full size bronco those little things are known for rolling over.
    He who don't float. Don't follow the ARGO!

Chris Gray

THANK YOU

i went the other day and didnt get stuck.
    had fun with the little trails. and went all the way to the river but didnt want to cross.
    i need to cut my fenders as they rub with the 31s while the truck twists.
    anyone got a write up for these?
    also needto build a snorkle. have seen a few builds but would like to see others.

take it to the junk yard?
    i think not. i have a big truck 2500hd chevy. the bronco 2 fits in the dang 4 wheeler trails.
    do you have a bronco fullsize?
    lets go to jims today and see whats better.
    I ONLY PAID 865 so i think you may have a better truck and could possibly out mob.

but a wiseman once told me. big trucks can only go so far.
    and a fullsize bronco wouldnt fit where i went friday.

im going today
    748 7788 if anyones out there.

i felt welcome till that guy... hahaha hater. if it rolls, ill roll it back over and start her up.
    im not a ford fan but this truck is changing my mind

anyone need a set of 9006 hids? 8k almost brand new. 80 bucks. 85 installed?
    slim digital ballasts

thanks for the rescue Chris and friends.
    changing all my fluids.
    plugs/ wires/ oil are done and its running better.

in the proccess of changing aintifreeze, front and rear differential. and transfer case fluid.

anyone bored today wanta give me a hand let me know please.
    i dont have a garage or anything. just the driveway. but its a dang nice day out.

Also if your not familiar with the creek crossings- go with someone who is. Every year the holes move around and someone goes in over 4-6 feet of water.

Sit and watch where others cross.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

question isn't jim creek a salmon stream, with restrictions on crossing with a wheeled vehicle?

There is a blanket stream crossing permit for the Knik River bank area, high water to high water that covers Jim Creek until it ducks behind the dune.
    The permit allows you to cross, in as straight a line as possible, and proceed on your way.
    In other words, cross it - DON'T PLAY IN IT!
    You can and will be ticketed for playing in it, not for crossing it.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

This has to be the best thread ever! Thanks for the laughs and have fun with your Bronco II

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast