Thread: Has anyone ordered E R Shaw barrels?

Default Has anyone ordered E R Shaw barrels?

I just ordered one for in 416 Taylor for this year's project. They said 3-4 months which would put it dang close to moose season. Just wondering if anyone has ordered from them. I suspect they give the 'worst case' timeframe. At least, I'm hopin anyway.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Highestview, I have had a couple 458 barrels put on ruger actions a while back and it was about 3 months IIRC which they first quoted 4-5 months so I would suspect it will probably be a little sooner that estimated...Hopefully...

Why would you spend that kind of money and wait that time for a no-name maker? A hundred dollars more and you could have had a Kreiger, Lilja, Hart, Brux, Bartlein or Obermeyer. $100 is the difference between the finest in the world and bargain basement.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Gosh, Maybe I was too abrupt. I apologize.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Not everyone can be loaded with cash ER shaw is top of the line for me... I guess I'm a "bargain basement " citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Why would you spend that kind of money and wait that time for a no-name maker? A hundred dollars more and you could have had a Kreiger, Lilja, Hart, Brux, Bartlein or Obermeyer. $100 is the difference between the finest in the world and bargain basement.
    It's also a matter of finding a company that had 416 Taylor on hand, which they did. When it comes time to putting together that 1/2 MOA 6.5x55, I'll definitely go for something high-end but that's not the purpose of a 416. I'm building a rifle thats purpose is to knock a big moose or brownie off it's feet within 200 yards.

Besides I've heard good things about them. I talked to a guy yesterday who had a Krieger and an ER. He didn't seem to have the same attitude about ER. I grow weary of the attitude that anything less than the best is crap or a waste of money. It doesn't have to be a Leupold to be a good scope, etc... Also, its a little pointless to tell me what you would've done AFTER I've ordered it. No offense.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

When you order the reamer, tell the reamer manufacturer you would like a "finish" reamer, they are quite a bit tighter than standard, with this it should shoot really well.

Forgot to add: you can also rent the reamer rather than buying one. Still, ask for a finisher.

Their barrels actually come pre-threaded and chambered. All it needs is headspaced once it gets here.

Well I went with Er shaw because for the barrel fitted and cut and headspaced to be action was very little over 300 dollars. As this was a camping gun, I like to buy used stainless rugers that can be had pretty cheap and then fit them with stainless er shaw barrel and have a totally weatherproof rifle for brown fuzzy things.. Other barrel sites I went to seemed to be around 500 dollars for the barrel and fitting which wasnt worth it to me as I dont need my 458 to be a tack driver, heck if it groups 3 inches at a 100 yards, thats fine for its intended purpose..

Amen to that oldboar... I even full length re-size any brass that I use for dangerous game, which pretty much defeats the purpose of a match chamber. I'd much prefer a dangerous game rifle to be on the loose side rather than match tight.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

it is hardly "$100" more for a "premium" barrel - just yesterday I spoke with ER Shaw AND Douglas and the difference for the exact same spec'd barrel was $320 vs. $600 - MY next barrel job will be with an ER Shaw too - Over the years I'v had a couple of "premium" duds too, so don't "think" that's not a possibility - a "1/2" barrel on a hunting rifle is of no use to me if the bullet that produces that 1/2" group is not one I would choose to use

OH, forgot to add ... just check into how long ER Shaw has been making barrels ... might surprise alot of you !

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    Their barrels actually come pre-threaded and chambered. All it needs is headspaced once it gets here.
    AHA! Now that's a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    AHA! Now that's a plus.
    For sure. Not to mention they gave the game away and told me if I had an FFL, it was 20% off too. I ran straight to my preferred dealer and had him order it for me.

I had shaw rebarrel a push feed winchester 70 to 35 whelen for my dad. The rifle turned out great. fit and finish was good, bluing was good and it has proven to be pretty accurate. Most factory loads running 1.5-2 " at 100 yards. While their barrels might not be as good as some of the other name makers I think you will be happy with it.

I sure wouldn’t call Shaw a no-name maker. What’s in a name anyway, if its good it doesn’t matter who made it and if its no good it still doesn’t make a hooey.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Sounds like a winner and your strategy is sound. Hopefully your new thumper will be in your hands by the end of the summer. I've always wanted a 416...

I have never heard a bad word about the quality of Shaw barrels or their work. I'm thinking, why pay too much money when you can get the same quality for less?