Thread: The little sue.

Default The little sue.

Now, I hear of people catching big fish out of there all the time. lots of fish...like its just like anywhere else.

me and dad used to fish there every 2 weekend or so all summer every summer for the past 5 years and we only caught maybe 4 or 5 fish, one of them being a palomino trout. we use most everything form vibrax (defiantly the most common of our salmon tackle), pixies, plugs, eggs, flys, everything, and we just never have the success. typically we hike 2 or 3 or 4 miles down stream or up stream, heck we even found a way back there through the woods a few miles from out house and we fished there and still nothing. We catch a lot of fish at any other place like sheep, ship (only fished there 2 or 3 times when we drop people off at the air port or something and we have a lot of extra time) montana, willow, and all those. What are we doing wrong? I am rarely ever skunked in salmon fishing except when I go to the little sue. And I know its not just me, cause dad is one of the best fishermen I know and he doesn't catch any either... heck one time I even stripe down and swam across the creek and fished all along there. still nothing.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I might suggest run timing, and where your fishing. The little su you really need a boat to get to the better spots. But like you have stated there are good holes you can walk to. Anther thing I would like to point out is this is a fishing site, and fish stories are part of it.. It is and can be a productive place to fish you just need to know the river.

well we hit the timing good, we go to the cleaning stations and lots of folks have fish...Maybe I just jinxed it or something....
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

No fishing has gotten harder there with the increase in boat traffic on the river in the last several years .Walking distance is just that,
    walking distance ,only so many holes to bad fish/game cann`t /won`t fix .A second road in with no boat traffic between it and Burma
    would turn this river back into what it once was and could be again ,for the walk in people and the boat people would still have most of the river

The Little Su sucks, even with a boat. I wish they'd close it down for five years and let it rest.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Quote Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
    The Little Su sucks, even with a boat. I wish they'd close it down for five years and let it rest.
    I don't know if I'd go as far as saying it "sucks" as there are fish there. But, I agree, it isn't getting any better. And it isn't what it was in recent memory. Of course, with that said, it had some really good years in the last decade. As with all rivers, timing is everything.

I'm callin it now. The Little Su will be open for king fishing, single hook, unbaited, artificial lure only. Then around the end of June ADF&G will issue an "emergency closure" on river to King fishing because of the lack of fish. Hopefully I'm way off but I have a feeling... "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    I don't know if I'd go as far as saying it "sucks" as there are fish there. But, I agree, it isn't getting any better. And it isn't what it was in recent memory. Of course, with that said, it had some really good years in the last decade. As with all rivers, timing is everything.
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

I hope they restrict it to a weekend fishery too. The fish that make it all the way back the river to spawn need some protection in lean years for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    I hope they restrict it to a weekend fishery too. The fish that make it all the way back the river to spawn need some protection in lean years for sure.
    I think a weekday fishery would probably be a better answer. Less people out during the week than on the weekend. Say Wednesday Thursday.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I assume that you guys haven't read http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ses.pr03272012 It's unfortunate but sounds like a necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    I assume that you guys haven't read http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ses.pr03272012 It's unfortunate but sounds like a necessity.
    Bout time....the only thing that sucks is I have wednesdays and sunday off work and sundays are usually crazy busy...

Does this mean Friday thru Monday, or Friday & Monday. I'm confused.

"The Little Susitna River will be further restricted by allowing harvest on Friday-Monday only"

Because Friday thru Monday are the busiest days on the river, shouldn't those be the C&R days?
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA

The way I take that is on the Little Sue, you can catch and keep a king on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday only. You can catch & release kings on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday only. And of course, single hook, unbaited, artificial lures only. And yes, I agree, that sounds backasswards to me too. You would think it would be the other way around. That river is going to be a friken zoo on Fridays through Mondays, especially with all the guide boats on the river Hopefully nobody gets hurt or, god forbid killed because of all the maniacs running the river and the fisherman standing in the middle of the river. Hell with the price of gas this summer I guess thats another one I can kiss-off this year... good luck ya'll... "fishon"... somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
    Does this mean Friday thru Monday, or Friday & Monday. I'm confused.

"The Little Susitna River will be further restricted by allowing harvest on Friday-Monday only"

Because Friday thru Monday are the busiest days on the river, shouldn't those be the C&R days?
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Great, so the busiest days of the week are catch & kill, but the slowest days are catch & release.

What could possibly go wrong with that plan?
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA

Combined with an annual limit reduction of only two from the Little Su and single hook, it should be enough to make the goal without having to close the fishery. Last year they closed the fishery on June 17, after half the harvest normally takes place and missed the goal by 13 fish. Looks to me like they took into account a number of factors before deciding on restrictions. They can still close it inseason if necessary, but hopefully by starting out slow that won't happen.