Thread: WTB: Canoe Trailer

Question WTB: Canoe Trailer

Wanted: Canoe Trailer for 15' Predator Old Town

Jeff in North Pole
    Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by alaska bush man View Post
    Wanted: Canoe Trailer for 15' Predator Old Town

Jeff in North Pole
    You'll much sooner find a flatbed. Staple astroturf down to the bed; then you can slide her on and off just fine. That's what I do. Plus that leaves you lots of room to haul other stuff, which for me is sometimes an ATV, lots of firewood, my gear, and/or a dead big game animal.

Like family man says...I use a 8.5' X 10' flatbed/ tilt for a 17' canoe....and you can get multiple uses out of the tilt trailer...

Default hangin' off

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    Like family man says...I use a 8.5' X 10' flatbed/ tilt for a 17' canoe....and you can get multiple uses out of the tilt trailer...
    Wow, you're hangin' off the back farther than I am.

Canoes are light enough that you can do it safely though. I use a 16 foot flatbed and my canoe is 19 or so feet long. I use 2 inch straps with big ratchets to secure it down, and always flag the bow of the boat that hangs off the back of the trailer. Works really well. I like having the extra trailer space to put stuff, so all my gear (lots) doesn't have to ride in the canoe until we get to water.

I don't tilt, but I do back into the water until just before my hubs go under, and my heavy canoe just slides off quite easily, usually with just one hand, even if I've already attached my 125 pound motor to its transom.

I got my flatbed from a fellow forum member here for something like a grand, I think. Dual axle, no brakes.