Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Like a kid with a new toy

Default Like a kid with a new toy

I have been a huge fan of the 375 Winchester for quite some time. Last night I made a purchase which was probably the longest and most anticipated purchase that I have ever made. I bought an unfired, still in the original box Winchester model 94 Big Bore 375. I plunked down $1100, filled out the proper paper work and headed for the door. Two old guys(even by my standards) watched the transaction take place and heard some of the conversation as the purchase was happening. They asked me on my way to the door, do you really plan to shoot that gun? My answer was I plan to try to wear it out!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    They asked me on my way to the door, do you really plan to shoot that gun? My answer was I plan to try to wear it out!
    Unfired rifles..... the celibacy of the sporting world. I don't get the appeal of it and never have. It's like a Corvette that only sits in some guy's garage. Useless, and not what it was intended for.

Get that lead down range EKC!
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Good grief, next the dern fool will be buying a horse and cowboy hat! Your at an age, EKC, where you should be sitting at a checker board with a quilt draped over your creakety old knees and drinking laxitives, that 375 will rattle what few brains you have left in that silly head!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Good for you, EKC:

If I had a gun that was too valuable, to shoot, I would git rid uv it.

Besides, a NIB gun might have some bugs, that need to be worked out.

That's probably why those guys got so old. Dumb thinkin ages a man.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Good grief, next the dern fool will be buying a horse and cowboy hat! Your at an age, EKC, where you should be sitting at a checker board with a quilt draped over your creakety old knees and drinking laxitives, that 375 will rattle what few brains you have left in that silly head!
    Hahaha, that is one of the best responses I have read in quite some time !!

A guy should have a Winchester even while sitting at the checker board. Ya just can't tell what kind of varmit might come wandering by. I agree with Smitty, you just can't trust a NIB gun. You need to get some ammo and head to the range immediatly if not sooner just to make sure it works like it's supposed to.

I have been a huge fan of the 375 Winchester for quite some time. Last night I made a purchase which was probably the longest and most anticipated purchase that I have ever made. I bought an unfired, still in the original box Winchester model 94 Big Bore 375. I plunked down $1100, filled out the proper paper work and headed for the door. Two old guys(even by my standards) watched the transaction take place and heard some of the conversation as the purchase was happening. They asked me on my way to the door, do you really plan to shoot that gun? My answer was I plan to try to wear it out!
    I have a .375 model 94 XTR with a 3x scope on it for 20+ years now. I really like it. Easy to handle, a natural shooter. Good luck trying to wear it out

Use only Cast bullets, and you'll NEVER wear it out.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I did, notice he changes phone numbers, and email addresses, pretty often. Not only that, he thinks I'm a good shot.

I think it's the early stages of "Old Timer's Disease". I should know.

I think he'd look better in a Sombrero, than a Cowboy Hat.

Then, instead of callin them KI YOTEs, he can call them KI YO TEES.

Watta picture.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Them folks need to go to a Vintagers shoot where $100,000 Holland and Purdey's,Grants ,Langs such are shot even in the rain.A unfired gun is a paperweight utill you know it works as intended
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Good for you EKC. I know where there is a brand new Win. 94 in .356 Win hanging on a gunshop wall for $750 that makes me drool everytime I am in there. It has been there a while I know but I just can't bring myself to make them an offer on it. I am afraid they'd take it and I'd have to pony up the money. The budget just won't allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I did, notice he changes phone numbers, and email addresses, pretty often. Not only that, he thinks I'm a good shot.

I think it's the early stages of "Old Timer's Disease". I should know.

I think he'd look better in a Sombrero, than a Cowboy Hat.

Then, instead of callin them KI YOTEs, he can call them KI YO TEES.

Watta picture.

Smitty of the North
    His wife sent me this pic of him last night Smitty - we are too late I reckon!
    Ya, EKC is pretty easy to slip the wool over, I pulled the "Look, there's Elvis" trick on him three times whilst we were eat'n vitals one day and et his apple pie without him a known it!

When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Once you get that thing broke in it will make a good gun to lay across your knees in the rockin chair to keep the wind from blowing away your blanket. I'm takin to Smitty's idea of walk slow and drink a lotta water...gotta keep those kidneys flushed out!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Don't know what you see in these odd-ball cartridges. You're never gonna be able to find ammo for it, and the 375 isn't fast enough, the bullets won't penetrate anything larger than a red squirrel......maybe a gray squirrel, but that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Don't know what you see in these odd-ball cartridges. You're never gonna be able to find ammo for it, and the 3

75 isn't fast enough, the bullets won't penetrate anything larger than a red squirrel......maybe a gray squirrel, but that's it.
    Oh Pooey.

It's these new fangled cartridges like theWSMs that are "oddball".

The 375 would out-penetrate them easy.

What I cawn't unnerstan is how come the 375 Win is more popular than the 356 & 307.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Good luck with your new toy. Give the reloader 10x a serious consideration. I tested this powder at various cartridge lengths. The compressed cartridges showed no signs of excessive pressure, and gave a healthy and safe velocity increase when compressed. I'm going with a drop funnel to see if I can't squeeze 33-35 grains of 10x.

Far as I know, I haven't heard of anyone using 300 grain roudnosed bullets in the 375 Win, but I'm satisfied. It'll certainly bust some brush. Honest to goodness 200 yd gun if yah ask me. I figured, If I'm gonna shoot this "little thumpah", the key to to not concern yourself with velocity, but rather, how big of a bullet can yah push? It's the ultimate "flip the middle fingah" at velocity. Hard to do for hunters of today. It took the hangun hunters to show me what can be done at pistol velocities shooting big bullets. You can place three 300 grain roundnosed bullets into a 50 yd target in two seconds, I know cuz I did it! Guess what? I don't care if the bullet reliably expands eitha!

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Oh Pooey.

It's these new fangled cartridges like theWSMs that are "oddball".

The 375 would out-penetrate them easy.

What I cawn't unnerstan is how come the 375 Win is more popular than the 356 & 307.

Smitty of the North
    The .356 will put a thumpin on ya too!! The .307...now that's a red headed step child if I've ever seen one...no offense to the red heads out there...I was married to one once....sweet little Irish girl...till she got miffed about something.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    The .356 will put a thumpin on ya too!! The .307...now that's a red headed step child if I've ever seen one...no offense to the red heads out there...I was married to one once....sweet little Irish girl...till she got miffed about something.
    Sometimes, they can't take a joke.

I never even seen one, (the 307, not the redhead), but I think it's a mighty fine cartridge for a LA.

Brass is available, but may be scarce. I read on the Internet, they love the 307 in Spain.

I would think that all those Winchester cartridges, 307, 356, and 375, would be winners.

I guess there aren't enough smart folks like me, out there. Yeah, that must be it. What else could it be?

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

You guys are a hoot! Smokey, I hate checkers! I use the pill shaped stool softeners and about every 4 or 5 days something happens....photos coming(not really). I'm also bettin that Uncle Jed and I woulda got along fine.

My son is moving to Minot, ND and he knows of a place there-a-bouts where we can hunt bufflers. I'm gittin ready.

Smitty, I think I finally got a cell phone number that didn't belong to an outlaw previously and now that I unretired myself the place where I work gave me a different e-mail address. I PM ya.

Mainer, I've been shooting R7 in my 375s forever. You mean to tell me that they went and stirred up a new batch of powder thats more better than R7? I just bought 4lbs of R7 so will have to wait a bit to try the 10x.

I fired 20 rounds through the old girl the day after I made the original post on this thread. I wanted to make sure it functioned whilst the guy I bought it from still had my money in his cash drawer and it did.

You guys are a hoot! Smokey, I hate checkers! I use the pill shaped stool softeners and about every 4 or 5 days something happens....photos coming(not really). I'm also bettin that Uncle Jed and I woulda got along fine.
    .....now Granny may have been a different story...!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast