Thread: New Placer video w/ 2012 Pro Polaris catching on Fire!!!

Default New Placer video w/ 2012 Pro Polaris catching on Fire!!!

Polaris fans don't watch. Two weekends ago three buddies who all have 2012 Pro RMK's and I went to Placer. One blew his clutch, and one caught on fire! My HCR pulled out one of the Pro's... Needless to say we didn't get much riding in because of the issues but there is some avalanche footage and two fair climbs. I will admit that the polaris will climb slightly higher than the Arctic Cat but, the cat makes it home every time.
    Enjoy
    -JR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Mje0H_nmU

Any idea what caused the Pro to go up in flames? That one is serious. Clutch springs probably aren't even produced by Polaris so I really don't have to much worry in that failure. Most likley just a freak bad spring. Now fire on the other hand.... not good! It was exhaust side and it looks like it went out pretty easy so did he have something in there like gloves or goggles that were to close to the pipe??

Quote Originally Posted by Gilliland440 View Post
    will admit that the polaris will climb slightly higher than the Arctic Cat but, the cat makes it home every time.
    How many belts has the cat clawed through?

Nevermind, thought you were riding a '12 cat. Gotta love the chassis that you're on...nice sleds. Hard to beat that Pro chassis from what I hear though...

Looks like he's running the stock can, and the fuel line is nowhere near there, so LuJon might be onto something with having some sort of combustible material close to the exhaust. As far as the broken clutch spring, why did you tow that guy out too?

As the sled makers are going to lighter weights, magnesium is showing up in the chassis to a greater extent. Ski-Doo had a spate of these a couple of winters ago with the cans or brakes (can't remember which), causing the chaincase to light up. The innards of the machines are getting much tighter now too than in years past, not enough airflow to keep the works cool.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    0 in 850 miles! And they are hard miles as you can see from my videos.
    -JR

0 in 850 miles! And they are hard miles as you can see from my videos.
    -JR
    Yeah, in my next post I saw that you aren't on a '12...which I hear are struggling with this issue...

The sled started loading up and soon thereafter lit up! We assume that fuel got in the exhaust and ignited. The broken clutch springs seem to be a reoccurring thing with the 2012 pros since the one that caught on fire broke the same ones a month earlier. I didn't have to tow out the pro w/ the broken clutch. After breaking the springs the clutch wouldn't disengage!
    -JR

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    If anyone is going thru belts, regardless of brand, check alignment. On some of the BIG HP sleds the clutches are actually moving the engine in it's mounts and the reason you see some of the reinforcing pieces.

As far as my Cats go I get at least 2k out of a belt. These are not up to top performance but are still useable. I also have deflection adjusters on all my sleds. I have one belt that has about 2500 miles on it and after this past weekend up in Eureka running cross country thru the deep sloppy stuff it's done. We were glazing them pretty hard picking our way thru the trees going slow and trying not to get buried in the heavy snow.

Just an update.. Eagle River Polaris & A.C. has now had their sleds for over two weeks and they said it would be at least another two weeks until they look at them and this is where they purchased them from! With service like that it is amazing they are still in business.
    -JR

If anyone is going thru belts, regardless of brand, check alignment. On some of the BIG HP sleds the clutches are actually moving the engine in it's mounts and the reason you see some of the reinforcing pieces.
    The new ProClimb cats have a solid mounted connection between the engine and secondary. Alignment on the ones I saw blowing belts was spot on. The actual belt manufacturer was the big suspect early in the season, but I haven't heard much at the end of the season. The Pro RMK's weren't immune. My son's two buddies were blowing through belts like crazy on their's until they got worked on (updates?).
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Yeah the Polaris' in the video have blown 3,3 & 4 belts each, all have 800 or less miles on them.
    -JR

Yeah the Polaris' in the video have blown 3,3 & 4 belts each, all have 800 or less miles on them.
    -JR
    Wow, thats the worst I've heard! I've got a few buddies who are running around 850 miles on them on factory belts. Hmmm....

Nobody blows Bearcat belts like I do. I've done in 4 in 1600 miles. However, most people don't put them through the full throttle hell I do. Riding style has a ton to do with it.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I have a 2011 pro RMK and have not blown, but frayed 2 belts but not blown (some guys cut off the fray and run it till it goes), and I have 1600 miles on it. the warr. just ran out and only got broke a ice scratcher. I ride with a group of 4 2012 pro rmks and none of them have blown a belt this season in around 1000 miles each or any other problems.

the biggest problem with the Pro RMKs is the running boards being weak, but for 2013 they are going to be much better....

2011 M8, 3700 miles in one year and three months...still on orginal belt. some of you have seen me ride...i'm not gentle. orignal belt is getting retired this week before i head out into the soup snow for spring bear.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212