Thread: Feedback on Freeze Dry Guy Foods

Default Feedback on Freeze Dry Guy Foods

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this. My apologies in advance if it isn't.

I've just recently started trying out to do some tent camping and will be planning to do a bit of backpacking later this year. Given that, I've been checking out some freeze dried foods to take with me during my trips. I was wondering if anyone has tried the foods from Freeze Dry Guy? I came across this contest where they're giving away $250 worth of freeze dried foods for free, and they are from this company. With the amount of camping I'm planning to do (and the fact that I'm a terrible cook), that's really gonna come in handy, and I'm really tempted to enter the contest. But I'd like to first get an opinion about it before joining.

Many thanks in advance.

Following your link, it looks like freeze dry guy is actually just the distributor of products made by companies like Mountain House and Just In Case. Of the products I saw listed in my brief visit to the site, Mountain House were the only ones I have heard of or tried. We eat quite a bit of MH on our backpack and hunting trips each year, as they are lightweight and easy to prepare with boiling water, and need minimal clean up. On trips where you are expending a lot of energy, I would recommend planning to eat an entire 2 portion package yourself...they never seem big enough to actually share when you have been working hard. Our favorite flavors have been Turkey Tetrazini, Beef Stroganoff and Chicken with Mashed Potatoes. The ones we didn't like were Beef Stew and Sweet and Sour Pork...but this is probably just personal preference.

Winning the contest would certainly be economical, but if to don't win, these meals are widely available at places like REI, Sportsmans Warehouse and Fred Meyer. If you are in the Anchorage area, Marc Taylor at Wiggy's Alaska usually has a good selection too.

Hope this helps!