Thread: Couple of Questions about Seward in June/July

Default Couple of Questions about Seward in June/July

My son and I will be fishing out of Seward for halibut and salmon the end of June/first of July. We have booked seats on one of the better charter boats. I am looking forward to having a great time. My questions, What are the catch limits on halibut and salmon that time of year? And, Is it proper to give the skipper and deckhands tips at the end of the trip? And if so, what is the suggested amounts? Thanks.

Seward has the most complicated limits in the state. For strictly halibut and salmon you are allowed 6 salmon in the bay, 3 out of the bay, and 2 halibut. This gets complicated because salmon are typically taken inside the bay, so if the skipper fishes for salmon on the way out, you are limited to 3. Typically halibut are taken outside of the bay. If there is time on the way back in after you have your halibut, you can fish for your limit of 6 salmon back in the bay.

To further complicate things there is the issue of lingcod, the season opens July 1st. It's illegal to take lingcod inside the bay. If you catch and keep a lingcod outside the bay, it is illegal to fish for any species when you re-enter the bay. So if you take your 3 salmon inside the bay, head out and take your 2 halibut and anyone on the boat keeps a lingcod, nobody on the boat can fish once you re-enter the bay, so effectively your salmon limit is 3.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Seward has the most complicated limits in the state. For strictly halibut and salmon you are allowed 6 salmon in the bay, 3 out of the bay, and 2 halibut. This gets complicated because salmon are typically taken inside the bay, so if the skipper fishes for salmon on the way out, you are limited to 3. Typically halibut are taken outside of the bay. If there is time on the way back in after you have your halibut, you can fish for your limit of 6 salmon back in the bay.

To further complicate things there is the issue of lingcod, the season opens July 1st. It's illegal to take lingcod inside the bay. If you catch and keep a lingcod outside the bay, it is illegal to fish for any species when you re-enter the bay. So if you take your 3 salmon inside the bay, head out and take your 2 halibut and anyone on the boat keeps a lingcod, nobody on the boat can fish once you re-enter the bay, so effectively your salmon limit is 3.
    And if the skipper and deckhands can figure all that out and give you a good trip, tip well.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

What's complicated about that?

Quote Originally Posted by mowerman24 View Post
    My son and I will be fishing out of Seward for halibut and salmon the end of June/first of July. We have booked seats on one of the better charter boats. I am looking forward to having a great time. My questions, What are the catch limits on halibut and salmon that time of year? And, Is it proper to give the skipper and deckhands tips at the end of the trip? And if so, what is the suggested amounts? Thanks.
    The limits you will see on a charter in Seward will be 2 halibut of any size..On the salmon end of it you will be likley fishing in the ocean where the limit is 6 salmon of which 3 can be silvers and 3 can be pinks OR of the 6 - 2 can be King Salmon( provided you purchase a king stamp ( which at that time of year I would reccomend). With all that said, once you catch 3 silvers you will likey be told that you are limited out because most guides are not crazy about catching and releasing silvers so that you might catch pinks or kings. The mortality of releasing ocean salmon is fairly high ( their scales are easily knocked off) and honestly they are more valuable left of the next group of fishermen or for the commercial fishermen that paid for them to be made in a prince william sound hatchery.

So expect a good chance at 2 halibut and 3 salmon and everything else is a bonus includeing the usualy plethora of rockfish, after July 1 Ling cod, maybe a king or a pink.

I am sure you will have a blast. My crew of 2 deckhands on a boat with 14 fishermen always feel like things went well financially when they average 20 dollars per fisherman total. So if they end up with 100 - 140 dollars each, after providing exemplary service and professionally cleaning all the fish caught, they are very happy. Just a guidline from someone who see's what happens day in and day out. sometimes they end up with a lot more, usually not less than 100 each. Even if the fishing is less than spectacular, their work ethic and service is tops and it shows at the end of the day.