Thread: If You have not Heard the lastest Scam

Default If You have not Heard the lastest Scam

Guys have heard a couple of reports of someone or someones cutting catalytic convertors off of vehicles. Listed on the trooper dispatch is one from Cantwell and I know the Willow Air Service parking lot got hit a couple of weeks ago. They are roughly worth a 100 bucks as scrap and alot of places will do free shipping.

Here is the lastest dispatch

Case number: AK 12202499

Type: Theft III

Text: On 4/8/12, at 1556 hours, the Alaska State Troopers investigated
    the theft of catalytic converters from a vehicle parked at mile 169 of
    the Parks Highway. Investigation revealed unknown person(s) removed the
    converter from a 2011 Toyota Tacoma some time between 4/6/12 and 4/8/12.
    It is believed that at least three other vehicles had their converters
    stolen while parked on the Parks Highway during the same time period.
    Value of the reported converter was estimated at $400. Investigation is
    ongoing.

Thats been going on for a few years now,- here not as much as the lower 48 but it started catching on when the price of meatals started rising.

In the lower 48 they would work parking lots. Less than 5 minutes per car with a bat. opp. sawzall.

Check out postings on Southern Airboat. They were cutting them within minutes after the guys left the boat ramps. It's been happening down south for a couple years now.
    Sad that some Sh**bag would do this while your out in the woods.
    Guess thats one of the reasons I like parking at Deshka Landing so much. I don't mind paying for the security of a parking lot with cameras.
    BK

Makes me wonder if a guy could wire up an electric fence controller to the exhaust pipe.

Please someone come steal the dpf off my new dodge then my mind will be made up for doing the delete...
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Makes me wonder if a guy could wire up an electric fence controller to the exhaust pipe.
    Or a few 330 Connor bear Traps.

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Please someone come steal the dpf off my new dodge then my mind will be made up for doing the delete...
    I agree. They can have mine.

My guess is that some of these convertors are being removed by the owners now that emissions checks are gone away. then they claim that it was stolen and probably claim it on insurance at the same time they are selling them on the internet.

Sorry but I am at that age now where I have an excuse for being cynical and senile !

Unfortunately for one of the folks I know that got hit at Willow Air that was the last thing they needed. I wonder how long it will be before they start doing some kind of emissions equipment checks. Many do not realize how easy it is to tell when a vehicle has removed their convertors.....a definate different exhaust note.

And let the dope-smoking-hippie-freaks keep on drumming away about drugs being a victimless crime. The vast majority of quick cash made from theft like this goes right into buying drugs.

Heck with the bear fence... I want a full-blown Taser system for the entire body of the vehicle. One electrode connected to the ground and the other attached to the body. Arming mechanism wired into your remote door locks. Park at any trailhead you like.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Many do not realize how easy it is to tell when a vehicle has removed their convertors.....a definate different exhaust note.
    FALSE...If you remove JUST the convertor from the system there is no sound change that can be detected by the Human ear. Catalytic convertors are a direct pass-thru chamber with miniscule back pressure.
    Boondocking & Bowls of Deep Fresh Powder !
    2002 RMK 700 144"
    2010 Summit 600 Etec 146"
    Weekends and Holidays Rule Mondays Usually SUCK

Default Cat Theft

Very rampant in the lower 48. Last time in Oregon, I seen people parked along side the road with signs buying converters. The new SCR devices on the 2011 PowerStrokes and Duramaxes also have a fair amoutn of precious metal inside. catlock2.jpg

I talked to 2 people this week that had their converters stolen and I work at a dealer and we had a new truck towed in with the converter cut off... I really hope that someone is looking into this...

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    I couldn't wait for someone to steal mine. You probaly don't want to know how much better that truck will run without the DPF so I won't tell you about the 24mpg highway milage and less issues...

Quote Originally Posted by AKsummit View Post
    FALSE...If you remove JUST the convertor from the system there is no sound change that can be detected by the Human ear. Catalytic convertors are a direct pass-thru chamber with miniscule back pressure.
    You can take everything from the cat on back, and replace it with a high-flow (like flowmaster; it has less back pressure) exhaust, and you definitely get a "cooler" sound, and some more power. Add a high flow air filter (K&N) and you'll realize another gain. When I raced in stock class with the SCCA, those mods were still allowed without me being bumped into a modified class, where I'd have to compete with anything-goes type of motor-heads.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsummit View Post
    The chamber even being pass thru will make a exhaust note change, think of it as a pass thru muffler vs a straight piece of pipe. Looking here lately at a local high school I was able to pick 3 out 4 that had their cats removed or installed just by the sound when passing. I did it on a bet and won me 50 bucks. Now none of them had their stock mufflers installed but why would you remove one and not change the other? The ones with cat in and aftermarket muff just don't have the pop of a straight thru pipe. There is a change just have to listen. Diesel guys are the easiest ones to find, especially Fords but that may be because I have owned them.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    I couldn't wait for someone to steal mine. You probaly don't want to know how much better that truck will run without the DPF so I won't tell you about the 24mpg highway milage and less issues...
    I agree. Mine fell off back in 08. Lovin the great mileage.
    Also, we have had a few cats stolen out here at the airport too. No leads yet though.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

If someone wants mine off my RAM 3500 they can have it, send me a PM. At 11-13mpg, you can have it for nothing.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine