Thread: Fun times with a BB gun

Default Fun times with a BB gun

I don't remember reading much about air rifles on this forum. I thought I would give a report on my recent gun purchase and shooting experience to add to the hoo ha.

As it turns out, a pesky squirrel really wants to live in my flu wall. All attempts to dissuade him from living up on the third story have been fruitless. Supersonic noise makers, a cat, plugging up the hole that it tried to get into the house have all failed. I don't want to poison it and all the other critters around here. So, I am going vigilante on it. I bought a trust ole' Daisy BB/Pellet gun. Good squirrel medicine I should think. I had a time figuring out what to get. There are quite a few choices. Pump, CO2, spring, .22, .177, scope, sights. I decided to get the same basic model I had when I was a kid. A pump gun that shoots plain old BB's. If there is a tweety bird hell, I am going there because of all the havoc I reeked with that gun in my youth. I know it can shoot stuff dead and I like the little gun. It feels familiar to me, kinda like going home. I really just want to gun run around the woods behind my house and shoot anything that looks like it needs to have a BB in it. The last time I did that my Brother and I shot the Bull next door to my Grandparents house in the cajones from not far enough away. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Anyway, I have this spanky new gun in my possession, now what? Well, go hunting of course. My quest to rid the house of a pesky squirrel echoes some of my moose hunting experiences, with a little bit of caddy shack. First,you have an itch to go shoot a critter. Next, you have to justify it to your wife and make up all sorts of practical reasons why buying yet another rifle is a good idea and lie about how much it cost. Then, you have to go shoot it to be proficient. In my case I shot it out my back door at a tree to sight it in. All the while thinking I was going to get in trouble from my neighbors or something. Now, I am waiting for said critter to wonder by while I am sitting on my stand (couch). I have a couple of shooting lanes picked out for when it climbs down it's favorite tree from my third story. I am possessed. I stare out at that tree for hours at a time, days on end, getting up early and staying up late. I try to keep a quite house and have not had a fire. No drinking or smoking near the back porch so the squirrel does not spook if it comes close. Is there a squirrel call, I am looking for a DVD to help me out here. I am planning my next move, and this is where the caddy shack thing comes in. Maybe I should just go back to work. Oh yea, no FBI paperwork for a BB gun. Ain't America great?

put your fingers together and kinda half kiss and half suck in in-between 2 of them, it should bring them in. kinda "chirp" like a squirrel....it also works for fox, I called my first one (fox) in with it this year. if nothing else you at least will be able to locate the squirrel with it cause it will chirp.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

If you aren't decked out in a ghillie suit in your living room, you aren't doing it right!!!!!!

If you shot your own video, I wonder how much of a market there would be for it. You might get rich. All the family could have parts. I would be particularly interested in watch the part about how you convince your wife that you really needed the BB gun. I think you could have a winner there. Best wishes. J.

do you have the latest greatest scent locking hunting boots and coat? what about a scope? cause everybody knows you need 10000 of gear to kill anything!
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I know he's a little more hi-tech, but this guy on Youtube is awesome for anyone who's into air gunning:

edgunUSA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBg_NroPXSo

He's got a 1080p HD scope camera. Pretty awesome. He's got some farm and a lot of time on his hands or something and spends a lot of time chasing problem species and recording it. He shoots a pigeon at 130 yards. It's pretty impressive stuff. He also knows a lot about his local wildlife so it's pretty interesting to watch as well.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6