Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you pay for a second halibut?

Default Would you pay for a second halibut?

I want to keep the details and politics out of this thread. I want to keep this simple and my question is the potential charter clients.

If the halibut bag limit was reduced to one 20 pound chicken in South Central Alaska, would you:

A) rather pay 299 dollars for that trip or

B) would you rather pay 399 dollars to catch that 20 pound chicken and also catch a second halibut without size restriction for a two fish bag limit?

A or B?

Thanks in advance

Neither option would be worth the price for a 20 pound fish. It would cost way less to go buy the fish yourself at the supermarket.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

A day run costs me at least $300 so if I was going to be on your boat I would gladly take option B cause I`m sure it would be more than worth the while.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

B, $100 would be worth it to lose the size restriction for the second fish.

cant imagine paying $300 for a charter with a limit of 1 sub 20 lb fish.
    option b may bring some to the table - but geesh that is getting pricey!
    more likely option c. none of the above.

IMO, I wouldn't ever pay anything near that for one small fish, and would be unwilling to pay 400$ for two fish unless there was a chance for bigger fish and a multiple species combo.

I would suspect people willing to pay those prices would most often go for option B.

Quote Originally Posted by Azimuth View Post
    B, $100 would be worth it to lose the size restriction for the second fish.
    B. Ditto what Azimuth said. I don't agree with any other responder so far, except AK2AZ.

man, I am glad I got my own boat, but if I had to pick, option B hands down
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

My question is:

If you pay $399 for a charter, and you know that one fish needs to be 20lb, how big would you expect the second "any size" halibut to be, for you to pay $399. Would you pay $399 if you caught (2) 20lb fish? Or would you gripe if you didn't catch one over 40lbs?

And, is the charter purely for meat purposes, or do some of you do it for the experience?

I agree with Fishwhacker "IMO, I wouldn't ever pay anything near that for one small fish, and would be unwilling to pay 400$ for two fish unless there was a chance for bigger fish and a multiple species combo. I would suspect people willing to pay those prices would most often go for option B"

Glad I have my own boat, because both options are ridiculous.
    BK

I pick C. If I knew I was restricted to one halibut at 20 pounds, I would go to Nusegya and call it good. The bad thing about that is giving into THE MAN! I am all for releasing anything over 100 pounds, but anything else is fair game. I'll keep it cordial and leave it at that and will not get into bycatch waste for Comms.

I'm with these guys, option C, if I'm paying for a charter to fun fish, which I use to do all the time, it'll be for something fun like Tuna, Marlin, Kings, sharks. At that price it is way cheaper to go to the store.

Charterboat Operator

with option A you land / keep an 20 pound fish, net yield (est) 10lb fillet halibut. at New sagays price today of $19.99/pound for skinned fillets that would surmount to approx. $200. worth of meat + any additional bycatch + a day of fun. For the charter person that is highly calculating the cost of there trip in comparison to what they paid for the trip and not how much fun they are having it would not work out too well, option B though expensive would/could definitly be more $ effective for this same person.
    so as not to convolute the original question, B would be my answer.

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    with option A you land / keep an 20 pound fish, net yield (est) 10lb fillet halibut. at New sagays price today of $19.99/pound for skinned fillets that would surmount to approx. $200. worth of meat + any additional bycatch + a day of fun. For the charter person that is highly calculating the cost of there trip in comparison to what they paid for the trip and not how much fun they are having it would not work out too well, option B though expensive would/could definitly be more $ effective for this same person.
    so as not to convolute the original question, B would be my answer.

I know this question begs to get political but I am just obtaining the first response from you guys and it is very helpful. Me feeling is that on chicken, even combined with a few salmon and few rockfish is a really hard sell for Anchorage folks. Where a two fish combo even is is more expensive is more well recevied.

one comment about Trawler By-Catch..the North Pacific Fishery Management Council is taking final action on halibut by catch reduction in Kodiak in June, so there is going to be ample oppertunity to comment to them about that problem and all of your particpation would be greatly appreciated. Private boaters and charters should all be voicing their opinion on catching and wasting 5 million pounds of halibut a year right around the corner from where we all love to fish. I will post a thread with the contact information as soon as they are taking comments.

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    I one comment about Trawler By-Catch..the North Pacific Fishery Management Council is taking final action on halibut by catch reduction in Kodiak in June, so there is going to be ample oppertunity to comment to them about that problem and all of your particpation would be greatly appreciated. Private boaters and charters should all be voicing their opinion on catching and wasting 5 million pounds of halibut a year right around the corner from where we all love to fish. I will post a thread with the contact information as soon as they are taking comments.
    Thats Great News AKCapt. Even though nothing really goes to waste at sea, I'm not in favor of the welfare system, if the fish or bottom dwellers wanna eat, they need to earn it like everyone else. LOL

Personally I would be more inclined to take the option B charter as I really like halibut and 10#'s of meat for a $300 boat ride seems pretty useless to me. I'm also not one to go out and kill any large halibut either. Anything over 60#'s goes back into the sea.

From what I read here, on one is going to keep a small fish as their GAF fish and pay $100 for it, more like a 40lb or larger fish would be a bargain. This means the GAF fish in lbs. is going to be way over the 20lb average, who gets charged for all those extra 1,000 of lbs of quota? Now in year two your GAF fish is going to at lease double, then what sized fish is a client going to pay for? Certainly would not be any thing small, now if you are fishing an area where you don't catch large Halibut you essentially are out of the GAF program in the second year. My clients can do the math pretty quickly, apparently the council cannot.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by profishguide View Post
    From what I read here, on one is going to keep a small fish as their GAF fish and pay $100 for it, more like a 40lb or larger fish would be a bargain. This means the GAF fish in lbs. is going to be way over the 20lb average, who gets charged for all those extra 1,000 of lbs of quota? Now in year two your GAF fish is going to at lease double, then what sized fish is a client going to pay for? Certainly would not be any thing small, now if you are fishing an area where you don't catch large Halibut you essentially are out of the GAF program in the second year. My clients can do the math pretty quickly, apparently the council cannot.
    GAF? IFQ? Council? Those are political questions that go far beyond my original post

Just asked a simple question and so far about 15 people were able to answer that question.
    I have no desire to have this simple question become a debate about the mertis of any management plan or politics.

There are other places for that on this forum.

Just gauging public senitment and their williness to pay a premium for an extra fish of any size in times of low abundance. I think so far I have a very good idea of what that sentiment is.

That is they will not pay for a trip with one chicken is the end result and they will go fishing if the trip includes a second fish of any size, which may or may not be larger - its still fishing.

Thanks for all of you for answering the question.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    I pick C. If I knew I was restricted to one halibut at 20 pounds, I would go to Nusegya and call it good.
    Is Nusegya fun?

'Cause halibut fishing is.

I would pick B, but I would expect the captain to be proactive in seeking larger fish for the premium paid for my 'second fish.' I think this would be the problem, particularly for out of state folks. They would be upset with two chickens if that second fish could be 'any' size. I would much rather see the charters taking two chickens for the majority of their clients rather than hammering the large fish population to avoid the wrath of their clients.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast