Thread: Hewescraft Searunner

Default Hewescraft Searunner

Up to recently I used a Sportsman 180, but decided to sell it after being beaten up by 3 footers in PWS. I have just ordered a brand new Hewescaft Searunner 220 ET HT with a 150hp Yamaha, but after reading some of the previous threads I am getting a bit uncertain around my choice. Most of these threads concludes that the Ocean Pro is a better boat. My mine usage of the boat will be fishing and hunting out of Whittier, and potentially some trip out of Homer to pick up some Halibut. But, before changing my order to an OP and spending the additional $$ i am seeking some advice from you in the forum that has experience from both boat types.

I've got a 220 HT with the 150 Yamaha. Couldn't be happier. The OP is a bit wider which would give me a bit more head room while sleeping but for the price difference I doubt its worth it. If its not to late I would highly recommend getting the extended transom! That little change will move your fish box from the bow to the stern. My fish box is in the bow which means my cabin gets fish slime and blood constantly tracked through.
    Other than that no complaints from me.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

With the Ocean Pro as and option, I wouldn't even consider the searunner. Other than being a few thousand dollars cheaper, the Searunner does not have any advantages over the ocean pro that I can think of. If you are paying cash, I could see where a few thousand dollars could be a deal breaker, but I wouldn't think financing an extra few grand on a 50-60k boat would break the bank. I bought an Ocean Pro, and I never even considered going with the searunner
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I bought my Ocean Pro 22' hard top last summer, with a Honda 150. Love it, but would recomend a larger engine. I sometimes feel underpowered with a few adults on the boat.

I have a 4 blade prop on it, so I've been wondering if that is a factor. I'm going to try a 3 blade to see what that does.

I agree that the OP is alot more boat. The extra beam really makes a difference in the space and how it handles the water. The boat also has higher gunnels than the Searunner, at least I thought my 2006 did. AK Bird Brain also nailed it that the ET is also well worth the money. I know on the OP that the bottom of the boat is extended out under the ET effectively making the boat function like a 24 footer I think its the same on the Searunner. One other point that no one has mentioned. I had an OP with a 150hp on it and wished I'd had more power. I've heard from others that the 150hp on the Searunner is fine but if I bought another OP I'd get at least a 175hp or a 200hp. It's an important point as it would raise the price even further. Good luck in your search and let us know what you finally end up with.

I had an OP with a Yamaha 150 and loved it. Too bad I had to sell it for a home building project. I had it often loaded to the gills with people a gear. I ran the 16 pitch yamaha 3 blade aluminum prop and it was awesome. I also added a Doel fin so it would plane out at slower speeds which is very important in rough seas. I never felt it was underpowered or sluggish. In fact Honda and Yamaha have about 6 or so different performance reports online so you can see the difference. The Yamaha 150 got the best fuel economy at cruise and that is why I went with it. I have a few friends with the Searunner 220 HT ET who had boat envy. The Searunner is tippier at rest by far which is really big when fishing, and they really noticed the difference in size.

If you can, bite the bullet and go for the OP. If possible go down to the harbor and see if you can stand on the fish deck of an OP and Searunner and walk from side to side you will see what I am talking about.

Sobie2

Another vote for the Ocean Pro. Put as much motor as you can afford on the back.

Go with Ocean pro. The extra width will pay off in long run.
    Having extra cabin space I can tell you is great.
    My story I was deciding between a 24 or 26 Alaskan.
    After hearing from many people who had the 24 and wished they got the 26 I paid the extra $$$ and it was worth every $$$ I paid!!!!!
    i also asked for an extended cabin. This has been
    great since I hunt from the boat and may be on it for a week.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I have an OP HT ET with a 150 yamaha, 4 blade. The extra width and beam rise is worth the extra money. My friend has a searunner and side by side on land or on the ocean in heavy seas there is no comparision, OP. It is worth the extra money for sleeping, heavy seas, and piece of mind. If you have the extra money splurge for the OP, you will not be disapointed.

I boarded both a 220 HTET and a 220 OP HTET on the same day with the good looking blonde that keeps my check book. The Sea Runner was equipped with a Yamaha 150 and the Ocean Pro had a 225 Honda. She opted for her grandchildren going out in the Ocean Pro. She is a wise woman and I sure don't have any regrets. The trick was getting her to the either or stage versus the neither nor stage.....

Ok, you guys suck your giving me boat envy! But for the price I paid and what I upgraded from I still couldn't be happier with my boat!
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Bird Brain View Post
    Ok, you guys suck your giving me boat envy! But for the price I paid and what I upgraded from I still couldn't be happier with my boat!

What you can afford is critical in buying a boat. Buy one that is too big and all of a sudden you need a new truck to pull it with, a new job to pay for the extra gas you are burning, and going to the water won't happen nearly as all you'll be doing is working so you can pay the loans off.

I "settled" on a CD 22 and sure I want a bigger boat. But, it will go just about anywhere I want to go within reason, has been very easy to maintain, is easy to tow, and sips gas. The higher the price of fuel goes, the better 4-5 MPG looks in a boat with decent sea capabilities. I can afford to run it all summer long as often as I desire. That is important to me.

I will not go as far as to say you made the wrong choice like the others did. You just know the depths of your pockets much better than they do. I mean, not everyone works for 180 days on the slope with tons of time off earning a 6 figure salary. I envy that quite a bit, actually. If I did, things would be very different for sure.

Thanks for all of your advices. I looked at both boats and I have to admit the OP is wider and more stable. Said that, in the end of the day my wallet decided. The extra $ for the OP and a bigger motor was to much for my budget, so I settled for the SR 22 with extended transom, hardtop, 150HP yamaha and a 9.9hp kicker. Anyway it is a big upgrade from my Sportsman 180. I look forward to my first trip out of Whittier.

Next time I probably have to decide between a 24' or 26' Alaskan.

Well I promise you made the best decision that worked for you so don't worry about it and enjoy the boat. I'm hoping to be out by the end of the month or early May so if we can hook up and enjoy a few drinks on the water let me know. Congrats on the new ride. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Congrats and see you on the water!!!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Right on! A new ride is something to get excited about. Congrats. I hope it provides you years of boating pleasure.

I just got a used 19' Workskiff centerconsole. It's tricked out with a nice 140 Suzuki, hyraulic tabs and steering, ect.......It's what I can afford and trailer. Trust me....It's gonna see some serious service.

Default Congratulations on the new boat

Quote Originally Posted by AsilG View Post
    Thanks for all of your advices. I looked at both boats and I have to admit the OP is wider and more stable. Said that, in the end of the day my wallet decided. The extra $ for the OP and a bigger motor was to much for my budget, so I settled for the SR 22 with extended transom, hardtop, 150HP yamaha and a 9.9hp kicker. Anyway it is a big upgrade from my Sportsman 180. I look forward to my first trip out of Whittier.

If you are getting beat up by 3 footers, did your new boat come with adjustable trim tabs? They are one of the best investments for comfort you can make in a boat and will become your best friend.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Quote Originally Posted by akdeweyj View Post
    If you are getting beat up by 3 footers, did your new boat come with adjustable trim tabs? They are one of the best investments for comfort you can make in a boat and will become your best friend.
    Yep them thingies are good.....slowin' her down helps too.....

Quote Originally Posted by AsilG View Post

I think you'll find you will be well equiped to visit most corners of the sound in average boatable weather conditions.

We all wish we could afford bigger boats, well until we hit the gas pump
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I ran a 22-ft SeaRunner HT (no ET) for six seasons, killed a LOT of fish, and made some great memories. I replaced her with a 26-footer, but I was still sad to see her go.

Enjoy the new boat!