Thread: How long before an outboard motor is dead?

Default How long before an outboard motor is dead?

I came across an ad for a Wooldridge with two Yamaha motors, one a 150 jet. The ad said he had had them "serviced" and then let them sit since 2006. This got me to thinking: How long can a motor be down before it dies? If you were to try to bring it back to life after X years, how would you go about it?

Default Beat the heck out of it!

30 years ago I inherited a very old (even then) Evinrude that had not been touched in many years. Being a kid, I did what kids do: Since it was locked up entirely, I took the head off, put some oil and a block of wood on the piston, and hammered away until it moved. Re-attached the head, and it ran after that, believe it or not.

I would never recommend to anyone that they do this, but you asked how people might bring a deader back to life, and that's what I did back then.

the real question is were the engines pickled first. if not just sitting for 6 years without running would surely produce internal corrosion to the pistons, rings, and bearing. how bad is anyones guess. it would be a real gamble on your part to purchase them unless you got them at a price low enough to pay for the cost of a tear down and rebuild if required. unless your an outboard mechanic in your spare time, with the cost of shop labor and parts it could get real expensive real fast.

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsiepop ?

Sitting won't kill a motor but there are plenty of things that can go wrong if it wasn't put away properly. Fuel systems can gum up, carb parts can corode , fuel objectors can stick or plug, this is why fuel stabilizers are important. Moisture in the crankcase can cause corrosion , rusted cylinders , rusted rings, rusted bearings, ect. This is why fogging is important on a 2 stroke, oil change before storage on a 4 stroke. Moisture in the gearcase can cause problems also. If the motors were serviced properly and stored out of the elements a motor should last a long time in storage. After extended time I would take a close look at rubber parts, seals ,gaskets, fuel lines, ect.

I type slow , excuse my repeat of some of what loss said

Koda said.
    Danm auto correct

before you even try to turn them over put some marvel mystery oil down the jugs and let em sit for a couple days. I bought a snogo that had sat for a long time and when it wouldn't turn over I turned the clutch by hand (wasn't that hard to move). It broke the rings.

Where is the boat and motors located? Dry interior, or humid, salty coast?
    Low humidity climate, and 2s motors can last a long time. I pulled a skidoo 2s engine apart that had sat for years, and it was clean inside. Thats interior Yukon, which is much like Faribanks.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Remember the first three-wheel ATV, the Honda ATC90 from the seventies? Balloon tires? (If you remember, your old...) Buddy and I were given two of them or rather we got to remove them from someones backyard. They were rotting into the earth, brush actually growing through them! They started, they moved, without doing squat to them! We eventually tuned them up, but never opened the motor, basicly fresh gas, adjusted the chain, air tires, adjusted the brakes, and cleaned air filter. Was very weird that they ran.

My boat sat for 7 years without moving when I was too busy to use it.
    I stored it properly and after years dormant it started right up and ran fine on the properly stabilized 7 year old fuel in the tank.
    Still runs great but it's time to update with a new 4 stroke but not until next year.

I got my dads 1973 20HP Mercury that starts on the 3rd crank everytime and purrs like a kitten for an old motor. It's been used like an old work mule but always given the best feed and kept in the barn when not pulling the plow, so she can still get up an go just like she did back in the day. I think would have a Vet that you trust, give her the once over and maybe hook her up to the plow for a test pull to make sure she is not ready for the glue factory. If she is still strong, has all of her shots records, and the teeth and hooves are still in good shape, then you man have a good motor for the right price.