Thread: Buying a Kicker, need advice

Default Buying a Kicker, need advice

It looks like I am going to be picking up a kicker to push my 21' Riverrunner this year when I am out in the salt. Im looking for something in the 9.9 range but I have not made up my mind on brand. The only requirement is that is a 4 stroke, all else is up in the air at this point. Do any of you guys think that one brand is better than the rest or all they pretty much the same? Prices seem to be pretty similar between the Yamaha, Evinrude, Suzuki, and Honda, are there other brands that I should be considering? Probably going to buy at next weekends outdoor show if all goes well. Thanks for any advice.

Ron

My first thought is an 8hp will do just fine for your application. The Tohatsu 4-strokes have worked great for me in the 3.5hp and 8hp versions. A friend is using an 8hp on his 24` pilothouse and it does fine for trolling and limping home. I`ve become a Suzuki fan as well but haven`t run any of their small motors. Most all will do the same just at a different price point.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I ran a 9.9 Honda on my 22' metal boat. Would push it along, if I had to fight a head wind I might have wished I had a 15hp or just hunker down like a wise man would do. Personally, LOVED that Honda engine. Found it used for about $1000.
    Hard to beat lil motor!

I bought an 8hp Tohatsu 4 or 5 years ago and it has worked as well as I would expect any motor too. It was less $ than most of the other brands but I haven't heard much negative about any of the 4 stroke kickers. I was particularly fond of the first 9.9 yamaha that I bought because it was much quieter than the other 2 strokes but I wouldn't say it was any better than the Tohatsu I currently have.

Default power tilt & trim with remote control

highly recommend getting a kicker with power tilt & trim & remote control
    then you can drive from the front of the boat instead of the back
    being in the back is fine for trolling, but not so fine for emergency when main is dead and you have wind/waves

I like the Yamaha T8 remote control except that it does not have pull start (unless you remove the cowling).

Pictures of install on my wooldridge sport in older post on forum

We have been shopping for a kicker as well and finally settled on the Tohatsu brand as they are less expensive than the competition. The reviews are great on the Tohatsu brand. The shops claim they hardly ever see any issues with them and the guys in the shop run Tohatsu themselves.
    BK

I have a older Tohatsu 9.8 2 stroke and it has never had a lick of trouble. I use it as a trolling motor, a oh crap kicker (never had to do that cause my suzuki main is reliable as heck) and yank it off and use it for the inflateable
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Where did you get your Tohatsus?

I was looking at the Mercurys but thinking that the Suzukis would match my next boat a little bit better which will have twin Suzuki 150s (thinking about the long haul).

I think that the smaller mercs are tohatsu blocks. I wouldn't be surprised if the suzukis were, as well. Marita sells the tohatsus. I used one of the 9.8s a few springs ago for spring bears and have to say that it was one of the smoothest and quietest little motor that I have used. Bears didn't pay any attention to it.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Just bought from these folks ...cheaper even with shipping than any quotes I got at the Sportsman show....http://www.onlineoutboards.com/Tohat...Outboards.html $195 shipping to Anchorage.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I think that the smaller mercs are tohatsu blocks. I wouldn't be surprised if the suzukis were, as well. Marita sells the tohatsus. I used one of the 9.8s a few springs ago for spring bears and have to say that it was one of the smoothest and quietest little motor that I have used. Bears didn't pay any attention to it.
    pretty sure there suzuki's but not positive.....no matter great motoers for the price

I bought my tohatsu from Marita and they said that all the smaller tohatsu outboards were manufactured by Mercury.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    I bought my tohatsu from Marita and they said that all the smaller tohatsu outboards were manufactured by Mercury.
    I am pretty certain that small merc, tohatsu, and nissans are all tohatsus. Just what I was told by a guy that sells them. Guess I could be wrong.

Go with whichever one you can get the best price on.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I am pretty certain that small merc, tohatsu, and nissans are all tohatsus. Just what I was told by a guy that sells them. Guess I could be wrong.

Go with whichever one you can get the best price on.
    I did a little diggin around, although they don't put this kind of information on the internet so that it is easy to find. I think I may have had it backwards and you are probably correct that Tohatsu manufactures motors under 30hp for several other brands. There are many cases, some of which people won't believe where a manufacture builds motor, toolboxes, appliances ect. for many companies and the primary difference between them is stickers, color or possibly additional options. If I'm not mistaken, Snap On does not manufacture thier own tool boxes, they are made by Waterloo, same goes for Craftsman and other brands. Bottom line is that it still comes down to what your looking for and for what price.

Marita is within $30- of the Tohatsu I bought compared to the website....FYI

Website;
    MFS6CDL
    Integral Tank 20" Shaft
    (Long) Manual
    Start Tiller
    Handle 59 lbs $1319.99

Marita price is $1352- and no shipping.

Good website though, appreciate the link.
    BK

Merrc 4 stroke less than 30 HP are made by Tohatsu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_Marine

I agree with titobandito, especially in bad weather. It only takes once to make a believer out of you.
    Also, if it is manual, you just won't use as much as you could. You may think you will but you won't, at
    least I or anyone I know has. Had a Honda 8 hp but seldom used it coz I had to hang over the back and
    couldn't see very well. Plus with a good wind and two ft sea you were just treading water. Now have 20
    hp Honda electric/power tilt and always use as soon as possible coz its easy. Over the years that adds up
    to alot of hours and gas on your big engine. It also has plenty of power if you limp home on a crappy
    weather day. If you can't afford that at least start at a 8 hp coz they have a 5 amp output that can be used
    to recharge your batteries if they are dead. Still go large and electric and you won't regret it.