Thread: Using the wrong primer?

Default Using the wrong primer?

Hello all,
    I made a mistake while making rounds for my .375 H&H. I noticed my mistake on my data sheet a month later. I wrote down WLR as the primer of use. It should have read WLRM. Maybe it was an error in writing or maybe an error in loading I'm not sure as to which one. So the question is; what would happen if the WLR primer were used? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to hunt with these rounds. But I'm curious as to what these loads would chronograph at. So what do you folks think? And what loads have you folks found successful with the .375H&H 270gr TSX? The TSX seems to be my new ticket. Thanks Josh

Here is the load in question:
    Test rifle: Browning A-Bolt .375H&H
    Primer: WLR
    Bullet: 270 gr Hornady Spire Point
    Powder: 72.0gr RL-15
    C.O.L.: 3.570"
    Case: Remington (new)

I doubt it will make any real difference. Probably drop a few fps but without a crono I don't think you will see a difference. There is the possibility that accuracy could change some but only testing will tell.

It's not possible to say definitively, but having used WLR primers a good bit I'll submit that the WLR is a "hot" primer and that your RL 15 powder charge is neither terribly heavy or difficult to ignite. I'd have to check but I think I've use CCI 200 primers (perhaps less "hot" than the WLR) for a very similar load of RL15 in a 375 H&H with nary an issue. I'd shoot your loads and see how they perform, but I wouldn't expect much if any noticeable difference.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I've never had a problem lighting of a ~70gr charge of RL15 with a standard large rifle primer. It's impossible to predict what effect the primer switch will have on your velocity, accuracy or peak pressure. It will have some effect, but it is unlikely to be drastic. You might just find that the load is more accurate.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Well disregard everything. I went back and did some reading. In the " The Complete Reloading Manual for the .300 H&H and .375H&H" it states to use a WLR primer as per Hornady. So I guess problem solved or it's a misprint by the publisher, which I doubt. Thanks to all that replied.