Thread: Trolling Kodiak

Default Trolling Kodiak

My wife and I will be tourists in Kodiak for the month of August. Would it be best to charter a combo or salmon trip? Would it be wise to buy a King salmon stamps or will it be to late in the season? We will do two or three charters. Would it be best early in August or later for salmon?

August can be a very productive month in Kodiak.

At sea, some charters will offer you the opportunity to troll and bottom fish in combination. Trolling will at that time produce silvers and sometimes kings. Bottom fishing will stay standard with halibut and the rest of the white flesh quarry. Do your research; dual opportunities at sea are traditional with the smaller six-pack charters and not the larger passenger capacity vessels.

Later August will be somewhat better in run timing for the silvers at sea. As far as your king stamps go that's a toss up. Ask your skipper once you've selected his boat and do check his references, then decide. If I was the client, I would buy the stamp...

Rosenberg; Sarasota, FL / Kodiak, AK
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Last summer I started pulling silvers around the 20th of July. Kings were good, real good as long as you could stay away from teh pinkies until I had to pull teh boat around the 15th of Aug. Silvers, well, they were silvers. I never got teh boat back in the water last fasll, but river fishing stayed consitent until Nov. Most of Oct and Nov it was me and the bears on the rivers.

A good way to ensure that you catch your king is to forgo buying the stamp.

Buy a king stamp. Some of my best king fishing was in the first couple weeks of August.

Default Felling better about August

Thank you gents. We will be buying King stamps. I'am felling much better about fishing Kodiak in August.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snope View Post
    My wife and I will be tourists in Kodiak for the month of August. Would it be best to charter a combo or salmon trip? Would it be wise to buy a King salmon stamps or will it be to late in the season? We will do two or three charters. Would it be best early in August or later for salmon?

Quote Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
    A good way to ensure that you catch your king is to forgo buying the stamp.
    Truer words have never been spoken!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com