Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arctic Cat ATV's

Default Arctic Cat ATV's

Do you fellas have any practical experience with Arctic Cat ATV's or some thoughts about their overall quality and dependability? I am poking around looking at wheelers and like some of the features of the AC's but I don't know anyone who has ridden one, let alone owned one. Any comments about the AC's?

Thanks,

Tim
    Last edited by tccak71; 04-06-2007 at 15:06. Reason: Punctuation

Default 2005 500

I have a '05 500 and I really like it. I had some problems with the stock tires breaking the bead, but Arctic Cat replaced the tires with their newer tires and have not had a problem since. Really like the suspension travel and the larger fuel tank. Does great on gas.

Actually have a buddy that is picking up his new '07 500 today from the Arctic Cat in Eagle River.

I bought a 700 last year and put 27 inch Mud Lites on it and I absolutely love it. Best racks on any ATV. Suspension is first rate as well. It will go through mud holes that my King Quads (they have 26 in Mudlites on them) or my ex 6 wheeler would get stuck in.
    Negatives are it is diffcult to steer at low speeds and it is heavier than most and the stock tires are useless for anything but trail riding. They come with a 3 year limited warranty but so far I have not taken mine back to the dealer for anything yet.
    Tennessee

Default I'd go Suzuki

If your looking at getting a wheeler for off trail use I'd think about going Suzuki for the simple fact that they offer a straight axel in the rear. Also AC and Suzuki engines are both made by suzuki so the only major difference between the two is the chassis. A couple of buddies bought 05' 400cc and 500cc. The 400cc is basically worthless in reverse being that there is no low for that gear and starts lugging out at the slightest incline ro obstruction. However they may have a reverse override like on other makes on the 07s I dont' know.

The 500cc seemed to do good although it did seem to lug a little bit in the deep mud with the mud lites on it. My AC is the older '99 and is straight axel in the rear and did better even pulling a trailer when the others weren't. So if you are going to go with a Independent Rear suspension which I admit is way nicer to ride on trails I'd probably go for the AC 700.

Default Check out this movie of an Arctic Cat in action

You can see the underside of an Arctic Cat. I was on a Rincon.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/8...5b0013c43b.htm

I have an '04 650 auto, my friend has an '04 650 auto, my brother has a '03 500 auto, and my cousin has a manual '03 500. All of them are Arctic Cat four-wheelers, and I can honestly say we have all had nothing but problems with them. Junk four-wheelers in my opinion and not reliable at all. Mine has seen two hunting trips were it broke down both times.

Default Nice Video!!!

I like the video looks like the Toyota Tacoma commercials

AC's have some of the highest ground clearence offered in the industry, with some of the best weight rated racks too. I just happen to have one I'm preparing to for re-sale if your interested. I was going to wait until the weather got better and take pics of it and post it in the Swap/Sale Forum. Send me a PM if you want and I'll tell you more about it. 05 w/low miles!

Default '01 Ac 400

I bought mine new in '01. It has been a great machine. I've never had any problems out of it, other than the brake shoes wearing prematurely. I've had it in mud, muskeg, and snow up to the seat (granted I may not have been moving forward at those times)... my point is I got out, and the machine still keeps starting when I press the button and moving forward and reverse when in gear. It ain't a pretty machine, but pretty don't get you to and from...

My regret is that I didn't go with the 500. At the time, 4-wheelers in the 500cc class were the big dogs. I had never had a problem with 300-350cc machines, and thought a 400 was big enough. I have never been too hindered by the 400, but would have liked a little extra power at times.

Arctic Cats have great ground clearance, a nice ride, and great rack capacity. I have no regrets about buying one, and will most likely buy another when this one eventually gets passed down.
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

There's been no regrets with the AC I have. It's also a 400CC (TBX Model). It has gone everywhere my Honda (500CC) has with no questions asked while loaded with gear. The storage compartments on it are incredible and the dump bed....unreal! Rocks, Fire Wood, Meat, Fish, Gear you name it this one's never complained about it. Did I mention the ground clearance! Not sure what others were expecting while going in reverse but no 4 wheeler is designed for high speed going backwards. Fallen trees, rocks, mud, creeks, both forward and backwards this wheeler has handled everything I ever put it through. Stability...it's got it.

Default 400 AC in reverse

Quote Originally Posted by Whitetail1der View Post
    There's been no regrets with the AC I have. It's also a 400CC (TBX Model). It has gone everywhere my Honda (500CC) has with no questions asked while loaded with gear. The storage compartments on it are incredible and the dump bed....unreal! Rocks, Fire Wood, Meat, Fish, Gear you name it this one's never complained about it. Did I mention the ground clearance! Not sure what others were expecting while going in reverse but no 4 wheeler is designed for high speed going backwards. Fallen trees, rocks, mud, creeks, both forward and backwards this wheeler has handled everything I ever put it through. Stability...it's got it.
    The 400CC AC doesn't have a low range in reverse. Obviously you don't want to go fast in reverse. What I'm saying is there in just no low end torque on the AC 400 in reverse. When your alder crashing or on an incline you often have to get off and push as well as run the throttle. My buddy and I talked to a couple dealers about this and it seems that they had other people come in and complain about the same problem on the 400cc. Just geared wrong is what they told us. And they told us it isn't nearly as easy as just putting a different size gear in there to get more low in power in reverse. However, they may have put at different reverse gear in the 400 TBX. I don't know.

Also they 12" ground clearance is a problem when crawling up steeper hills or hills while trying to beat the brush down at the same time. The front end comes up easier than say the Suzuki 9" clearance. Just been our experience between the two wheelers.

Default Bought an 07 AC

I just purchased a 07 AC 500 automatic. I bought it with plow and winch and used it all winter to plow snow this winter. Was amazing! Took it out to test it's capabilities out at Jim's Creek a couple of weeks ago. Handles great with the front and rear independent suspension. Climbs, hauls and cuts through deep snow with the best of them. Didn't get stuck once and even had to pull out my friends 07 Polaris when he burried it in the snow.

I have how ever had some minor problems with the gas gage not being accurate. It fluctuates from full to empty constantly. I had it in the shop and they replaced the fuel sender on it and it work for a bit and now is doing the same again. I have also experienced a problem with it staying idol when I stop on the trails. Runs great while I'm cruising, but when I stop so does the engine. May be bad gas, so I'm going to run out the gas in it an put some fresh gas in.

All in all I am pretty satisfied with it although I would like to get it out more now that the weather is nice so I can get a better picture of how it is going to perform.

Default Ac 400

I just picked up my new 400 yesterday. I had heard the complaints about stock tires coming off the rims here on the forum. Arctic Cat has changed from Carlisle to Goodyear stock tires. According to the dealer, they haven't had any more complaints since the change.
    I haven't had a chance to get mine out and ride yet, but based on my previous experience with my old AC 454, I don't expect any major reliability problems. I do the vast majority of my hunting on foot, but when I do use the wheeler I'm usually with a couple friends. One has a Rubicon, the other has a Polaris 500 HO. My 454 went everywhere the Rubicon went with no problems. The Polaris isn't a bad machine, but within the first month that he had it, my friend had some kind of electrical problems (don't remember what it was), and it seems to overheat pretty easy.
    One of the things that made me choose the 400 was that it is air/oil cooled. Simplicity is a wonderful thing. I'd like it if it had a low range reverse, but I think I can live without it.

Default AC 400 are Junk!!!

I have to agree with my friend AKLanche. Hate to do that of course but oh well. If you are what I would call a lower 48 ATV'er then the 400 is great! However if you do it like we do in AK then they make a better Christmas ornament! Even in 1st low the thing has minimal power and if your tires are caked in mud then they even struggle to turn. My dad bought a 500 Suzuki and I have found nothing better about the 400 over it, other than if you want to spend more on the 400. Bottomline AC screwed the pooch by going with the Gucci look. So unless thats what you're going for buy the Suzuki!!!

Thumbs up

I've had my AC 650 H1 for about a year and love it. Can't beat the ground clearance esp w/27's on it.

My AC is manual. Don't know if they offer the new AC's in manual, but I have no issues with torque. As a matter of fact, my cat has more torque than most machines in its class. I'm sure this is the gearing. It is geared pretty low. 40mph is tops. I wasn't interested in going fast, if I wanted to do that, I would have bought a sport quad.

I didn't want an automatic because of not having a certain gear to stay in/max out. It has high/low and has pulled a 1000lb+ loaded meat wagon over all kinds of terrain from rock to muskeg. I get in and out and don't need to take 50 gallons of extra gas with me when I go.
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

I agree with akndres, I own a 400 and can do a dead pull and dig 4 holes no need for more power. I ride with 650 and 700"s and yes they pull away in a flat straight away but on a trial I keep up just fine.In my opionion if I can spin all 4 wheels on a pull I have no need for more cc's as I need traction not power. just my opinion

Hotcity2, what year 400 do you have? I know with my 2005 with 26" bighorns there is no way I can spin my tires when I am buried in mud. Also the only way to put it in low is when you are in 1-5th gear, no low reverse. Any help would be great as I hate the fact that I bought a new rig and my buddies 99' can spank me any day. Also I didn't buy the machine to go more than 30mph so that's not something I care about with an ATV.

Default Rider Quality

Your buddy is just a better rider. Just playin HAHAH!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast