Thread: Flying squirrel in the cabin

Default Flying squirrel in the cabin

Last night left the door open to cool the cabin. Heard a crash bang and found a flying squirrel had crash landed in the kitchen. took some pictures and after a hour he flew away.

Here is the little guy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pretty darn cool! I have a ton of time out in the woods over the decades and have seen thousands of tree rats but have never had a confirmed flying squirrel sighting.

Funny how uncommon some animals are and how rare they are to spot in the wild. I can cross hummingbird off my list after this past summer since I had one hover 3 feet in front of my face for about 30 seconds. If you asked me 3 minutes before that encounter I would have said they didn't live in AK.

Caught one on the trail cam. They also get caught in marten traps, soft fur. This is the first time i got upclose to one. He was docile and i probally could of grabbed him with a glove but didnt think i liked the idea of the chance getting bit through the glove.

They are friendly little critters. Even wild ones. We had 2 wild ones move in with us for a few months. We fed them cat and dog food and they seemed happy. Very curious about us and everything going on.

Regretfully they left us suddenly. Cant wait for the next ones to show up

I don't think they would bite you if you pet them. Ours didn't.

You should have gone after him like John Candy and Dan Aykroyd in the Great Outdoors!!
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

Quote Originally Posted by pa18tony View Post
    Last night left the door open to cool the cabin. Heard a crash bang and found a flying squirrel had crash landed in the kitchen. took some pictures and after a hour he flew away.
    They're cool squirrels to have around, as long as they don't get into your insulation. They'll do just as much damage as the red squirrels.

I'm not buying this last bit though:
    ...and after a hour he flew away.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I think they are nocturnal aren't they? That would explain why they are rarely spotted. I cut a tree down that had one in a nest. Really made me jump when I started limbing, and it came running down the truck at me. I just saw enough of it to tell that it wasn't a red squirrel as it ran past.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticmayhem View Post
    I think they are nocturnal aren't they? That would explain why they are rarely spotted.
    Yup. They're common visitors to sunflower seed bird feeders at night, which is how most people spot them.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Wish they would come to our feeder! Had a buddy who saw one down here years ago on a night mush, and I have heard they have been seen in the halibut cove area.
    anyone else on the kenai pen ever see one?
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

This is the only one I've seen. Saw his partner Bullwinkle plenty of times too.

Interesting! I never took the time to read up on them so I had no idea they were nocturnal. That explains why I haven't spotted one.

I've only seen one. Christmas Eve on my oldest daughter's first Christmas. He landed on the window trim outside the window and kept peaking in to see what was going on.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by pa18tony View Post
    I have seen this before at our camp when I was a lad.....we had an old Westinghouse fridge, and from time to time, squirrels, and mice would hang out behind it....Uncle said they were just "westing."