Thread: Dreaming a bit...

Default Dreaming a bit...

Reading up the other day on some folks who thru-hiked the Appalachian trail. Husband said that if he could take six months off of work, he sure wouldn't spend it hiking that trail! So I got to wondering, if you could take that amount of time to hike something, what would it be?

In my lifetime, I'd love to see a "trans-Alaska trail", that takes in at least some of each type of terrain up here. Might not be possible to go across the entire state, but it's an intriguing idea, and who wouldn't have it on their list? AT? Pshaw.
    " the stars, the snow, and the fire. These are the books he reads most of all." ~John Haines

6 months is a ton of time and I sure wish I had it! I would probably wonder around the brooks range for several months starting at the haul road and hiking east. Then maybe have a raft dropped at the Sheenjek and use it to float back to civilization. Once the brooks froze over I would head to south east and wonder around, perhaps try out sea kayaking.... OK... back to work the mouths that rely on me for food and shelter insure that I will be a pretty old man before I get to do anything like take 6 months off to explore!

cdubbin, I think that'd be awesome!

?
    John Muir Trail in California is emotionally satisfying especially if you're inclined to his beliefs and writings.
    Catch and release a few golden trout, certainly one of the most beautiful animals on earth.
    Not exactly wilderness by Alaska standards.
    Not too many bugs, probably a few too many hikers.

I believe you all ready nibbled at what the Grand Canyon in Arizona has to offer.

The Teton Mountains, Yellowstone in Wyoming.

Hawaii has all the hiking trails you could want.
    Porte Rico has trails, and many clear water rafting opportunities with water so warm it is uncommon to us Alaskans.
    Last edited by Brian M; 04-09-2012 at 14:06.

I'd start somewhere around Kotzebue and head to Canada via the Brooks Range. A packraft, fly rod, camera, and a bow in hand, I think I could have quite the adventure.

Its amazing what some people can do in six months.
    Total distance: 4,678 miles

http://andrewskurka.com/adventures/a...on-expedition/

Quote Originally Posted by tustumena_lake View Post
    Its amazing what some people can do in six months.
    Total distance: 4,678 miles

http://andrewskurka.com/adventures/a...on-expedition/
    Holy cow...!!! I can't imagine how hard that could be, but I can imagine how rewarding. Makes me think of Frank Glaser and how he walked all over AK.

there was an article (small 4 page mention really) In the march 2011 Nat Geo about a guy who hiked all around alaska for 176 days. His name is Andrew Skurka and he has done other super hikes around the states. His route started in Kotzebue, took the winter iditarod route to Dillinger, east through the AK range, through Slana, McCarthy, down the Copper river to Cordova, and then down the coast to juneau. From there he turned back north, taking a route through Whitehorse and up through Canada until he turned west again in the northern third of anwr, and followed the Brooks back to Kotzebue! He skied, hiked and pack rafted the whole thing. I don't know if I would have the drive to complete something that massive, but the idea is awesome! I would really like to do the Slana to juneau segment, and the brooks range segment if I had the time and funds.