Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Requirement to notify law enforcement

Default Requirement to notify law enforcement

So I'm a law biding citizen and have every intention of always being so. But being somewhat forgetful, I can easily imagine getting pulled over and in all the excitement forgetting to immediately disclose that I have a firearm. When I've carried around law enforcement in the past it hasn't been a problem, but I can easily see it happening. After the response I saw on Alaska State Troopers, I don't really want the problems that would follow forgetting.

Since the law states that any posted notice shall have force of law in regards to ample notification forbidding carry in any private establishment, I figure the same should be true in reverse. So I'm seriously considering a sticker for the outside of my vehicle that states something to the effect of: Dear Law Enforcement Officer, under (cite relevant law) I must inform you that I am a lawful citizen carrying a concealed firearm inside this vehicle...regards

Then if I forget I can still argue that I gave proper notification.

thoughts?
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Well, you'd also be advertising it to everyone else as well. Which might deter some criminals but might encourage others. Also, I don't know that a sticker on your car would count as legal notification, but I don't have the relevant statute at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by RainGull View Post
    ...Since the law states that any posted notice shall have force of law in regards to ample notification forbidding carry in any private establishment, I figure the same should be true in reverse. So I'm seriously considering a sticker for the outside of my vehicle that states something to the effect of: Dear Law Enforcement Officer, under (cite relevant law) I must inform you that I am a lawful citizen carrying a concealed firearm inside this vehicle...regards

Then if I forget I can still argue that I gave proper notification.

thoughts?
    I'm not so sure this would hold the same weight. The law you refer above is actually a No Trespassing law. You are not breaking any firearms laws by possessing a firearm in a business that has posted a sign saying "No Guns Allowed". If they find out that you have one they can ask you to leave and if you don't then they can turn you in for trespass and you may be guilty of that. But, you have not broken any firearms laws, that is provided you can legally possess the gun in the first place.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I think it would depend on what you were doing when you got pulled over.

If you are going to carry in Alasak you have a duty to notify and with that (implied, in my opinion) you have a duty to be enough in control of yourself and your gun to remember to notify.

If you got two screaming kids that need a potty break in the back seat at high noon and got pulled over for a turn signal light being out, well, maybe, I am not a LEO. If it is 2AM and your truck smells like a brewery...

The LEOs I do know assume everyone is carrying all the time - but you the law abiding citizen have a duty to notify as part of being law abaiding.

A sticker would only imply as such because you may not be the only driver of the vehicle, therefore it may not be valid as notification. Not to mention if an officer is reading a sticker on your vehicle when he should be watching the occupants would be rather dangerous, therefore not expected to be read.

I think the common sense approach is keep hands on the wheel as the LEO approaches, let them know you legally have a firearm and where it is located...then let the officer direct the next move.

Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I'm not so sure this would hold the same weight. The law you refer above is actually a No Trespassing law. You are not breaking any firearms laws by possessing a firearm in a business that has posted a sign saying "No Guns Allowed". If they find out that you have one they can ask you to leave and if you don't then they can turn you in for trespass and you may be guilty of that. But, you have not broken any firearms laws, that is provided you can legally possess the gun in the first place.
    All depends how the LEs interpret 'business'. Many businesses are private residences (owned by someone and not public) and AK statues are clear that is an offence to enter a private residence with a concealed handgun without the express permission of the owner. If a sign is posted then I would suggest that many LEs and lawyers would consider that a legally binding notice and is same level of offence (firearms in 5th degree) as failing to inform a Peace Officer.

To the OP, I think a sticker does not meet the requirements of the law.

If you are following all laws don't worry as you won't get pulled over
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    If you are following all laws don't worry as you won't get pulled over
    Usually true and usually if your not an idiot around the cop forgetting isnít going to be a big deal. For example I happened onto a wreck this winter, I stopped and was up on the side of a Chevy truck holding the door open with one hand and getting kids out with the other when the Trooper showed up. I started handing kids down to him and never gave any thought to my gun. Later when I was giving the Trooper my info I remembered and told him, all he said was ďI know, donít worry about it.Ē Do your best to comply and do the right things you have little to worry over, act like an ass and youíll have issues!

As someone already has posted: YOU WOULD BE NOTIFING CRIMINALS AS WELL AS LAW ABIDING FOLKS>

I believe the best is to keep both hands resting on the steerring wheel, and wait for contact when and if you happen to get pulled over.

And yes, sometimes you will get pulled over for stupid ****, I once got pulled over for snow on back bumper coving license plate- North Pole finest might have made a mistake removing me from my vehicle and going behind his "for safety" on the road. his entire back window, trunk lid, bumper, ect was COVERED. I pulled out my cell phone and asked if he minded if I took a picture of where we were at.... He looked at the two vehicles and gave me a verable warning to keep plates clear and to check my plate light.

I thanked him and drove on home. Still laugh at the photo of his car when I see it.....

Chris

Hope I typed ok, this eye surgery crap is not going as good as should.

CY

Does this law apply to guns in a motorhome also?

Just because some millionaire suits , 100's of miles away from you wrote on a "piece of paper" that you should tell "their" goons (and they are their goons) that you need to reveal anything about yourself, does NOT in anyway mean you have a duty too.

Your not a rebel, or a anarchist, your an Alaskan.

You do not need corrupt millionaires who you have never met and would have you arrested (by their goons) if you ever knocked on their door, dictating your life for you.

Freedom means freedom. Don't tell them. Enough cowards in this world as it is. That's how we got in this mess to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by spruceGoose View Post
    Just because some millionaire suits , 100's of miles away from you wrote on a "piece of paper" that you should tell "their" goons (and they are their goons) that you need to reveal anything about yourself, does NOT in anyway mean you have a duty too.

Your not a rebel, or a anarchist, your an Alaskan.

You do not need corrupt millionaires who you have never met and would have you arrested (by their goons) if you ever knocked on their door, dictating your life for you.

Freedom means freedom. Don't tell them. Enough cowards in this world as it is. That's how we got in this mess to begin with.
    You sound just like Schaeffer Cox. Are you allowed internet access in jail?
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    You sound just like Schaeffer Cox. Are you allowed internet access in jail?
    Are you allowed internet in your police state?

Wanna know why America was founded? In case your public school didn't tell you.
    To be free from the roman catholic church, and power grovelling bureaucrats.

They amazingly accomplished their goal of forming a new type of government. Sadly, it didn't take long before the bureaucrats regained their power.

Sheep will be sheep. As quoted posts prove

Are you allowed internet in your police state?

Wanna know why America was founded? In case your public school didn't tell you.
    To be free from the roman catholic church, and power grovelling bureaucrats.

They amazingly accomplished their goal of forming a new type of government. Sadly, it didn't take long before the bureaucrats regained their power.

Sheep will be sheep. As quoted posts prove
    ***!!!

Intersting re-write of history!

oh sorry, did your 9th grade history teacher tell you different?

george washington, john adams and the lot would be rolling over if they could read this dribble

oh sorry, did your 9th grade history teacher tell you different?

george washington, john adams and the lot would be rolling over if they could read this dribble
    Perhape you mean "drivel"? And George Washington and John Adams should be capitalized as they are proper names. At least that's what my 4th Grade English teacher taught me.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Perhape you mean "drivel"? And George Washington and John Adams should be capitalized as they are proper names. At least that's what my 4th Grade English teacher taught me.

Shhh. It's all okay, Obama, Parnell, benedict and the rest are on YOUR side. Shhhh. Just give us time. Eutopia is coming. We just need more control.

.ps.... please sign up for facebook. Nothing wrong with that. Shhh. Just come

Shhh. It's all okay, Obama, Parnell, benedict and the rest are on YOUR side. Shhhh. Just give us time. Eutopia is coming. We just need more control.

.ps.... please sign up for facebook. Nothing wrong with that. Shhh. Just come
    Hmmm, you lost me there friend. Best of luck with whatever's troubling you.

Spruce, it's called the rule of law. We cannot make appeal to law or rightly claim citizenship if we denounce the government entirely. While I agree that any law that opposes the constitution is void and cannot be a law in force, and I agree that every person has equal rights and that no corporation has any as rights are inalienable and consequently cannot be amassed, and while I do believe in a restoration to treu principle and good government, it cannot, will not ever be done by forsaking what we now have. It must be done within the rule of law.

It reminds me of the old thread here about firearms confiscations. I still say that if they kicked in your door now in full swat gear you would likely comply. Heck even criminals who say they are going to go out in a blaze of glory seldom do. But even if you resisted, you'd be stomped into the ground and none would rise up to help you out. If it ever does happen, it will probably be just like nazi Germany, a neighborhood at a time and nobody will resist until it's there turn and then there won't be any promise. It's just not going to ever coalesce around gun owners banding together to fight off the hordes of confiscators.

Your one man charge, blaze of glory will never be glorious, your cause is just not noble or common enough as illustrated by your fellow gun enthusiasts here.

Doubt me? Recollect that we have let heaps of anti-gun legislation go without much besides a whimper (such as the assault weapons ban). But ask yourself if that doesn't also prove my point. By working within the law we have seen more than I ever expected to see rolled back (like that assault weapons ban and weapons in NP's and gun free zones etc...).

Don't be a hater, embrace the rule of law and make your voice heard within her chambers to make it better (true patriotism) lest your isolated lone voice be lost on the crickets or those with no allegiance with no flag to wave...
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Don't be a hater, embrace the rule of law and make your voice heard within her chambers to make it better (true patriotism) lest your isolated lone voice be lost on the crickets or those with no allegiance with no flag to wave...

The law is corrupt. Written by corruption, for a mindless mass that people call society. Any illusion of input you think you or anyone has , is, an illusion.

In nazi germany it was against "the law" to not turn in a jew whos location you were privy to.
    embrace the rule of law
    No thanks.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast