Thread: Sat. Phones

Default Sat. Phones

I'm in the market for a sat phone and have decided to purchase one out right. This will mainly be used for back country hunts and emergency communications as I spend the majority of my time out of country for work in remote places. The Iridium Extreme 9575 looks to be top notch and in fairly compact/light weight. Does anybody have any experience with this model?

I'll be coming back through Anchorage next month. Can anybody recommend a store/business up there that has them and sells plans? Looks like Surveyors Exchange has them and sells plans. Does anybody have experience dealing with them.

Thanks!

I picked one up last summer at AK Sat phone. Both hem and Surveyors Ex are running iridium. Only difference is airplan.

Do a comparison and go with whomever gives you a better deal. Mine so far has been a priceless purchase.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by jab7275 View Post

I'll be coming back through Anchorage next month. Can anybody recommend a store/business up there that has them and sells plans? Looks like Surveyors Exchange has them and sells plans. Does anybody have experience dealing with them.

Thanks!
    I've worked with Surveyors Exchange a fair amount for Sat Phone purchases and rentals. My experience with their customer service has been excellent thus far. I recommend them.

Yk

My experience is if it says Iridium it is a great product. I currenttly haver the 9505 (i think) and I owned to older model before this one. The 9575 being just a newer model than mine I would simply expect that thye have improved it even further.
    Louis

Yep. My 9555 has served me right. I only used about 30 minutes last fall so the rollover was nice.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

The GPS Store garmin dealer also sells Iridium phones and plans.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    The GPS Store garmin dealer also sells Iridium phones and plans.
    ^^^^^ aka Surveyors Exchange. .

I had an Iridium 9500 that I sold and then bought a 9505a on Ebay. I can vouch for 9505a. Great service from Western Alaska and Brooks Range to Gulf of Mexico and British Virgin Islands.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

i don't have experience with that particular model but i've got the iridium 9555 from surveyors exchange and they have been great easy to deal with and no problems whatsoever.

I bought the 9555 before heading to Afghanistan and it's been working good over here. I haven't used it yet in Alaska but shouldn't have any problems. I got mine from Radio Fairbanks new for $1300 with a bunch of accessories. The plans at Radio Fairbanks I think are the same from Surveyors Exchange. I got the world wide plan for $600 and it will expire this May so I'll switch to the Northern Lights plan.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine