Thread: Rhino Modification and Accessories

Default Rhino Modification and Accessories

I have a 2011 Yamaha Rhino with stock wheels and tires. I need help with two issues.

First, what is the best gun mount that is inside the cab and out of the elements. I have a top and a soft back window.

Next, I would like a larger and more aggressive set of tires. Any recommendations?

Ah, I thought of one more thing. Is a lift kit a good idea and is it something that someone with average mechanical skills could install?

Check out Sky MFG for a gun rack. I have one in the ranger that sits just behind the windshield and it's been awesome.

Maxxis Zillas, Swamp Lites and mud Bugs are awesome.

Almost all 2" lift kids are simply a spacer between the shock and it's factory bolt hole. Very simple to install.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Thanks for the info!

I have a 06 Rhino and I am constantly adding parts and new things, right now I am waiting to install a new Sheave. Do a search for 2" CFM lift on Google, it's like $60.00. ALso check http://www.rhinoforums.net/ all the info you need to modify and upgrade your ride!
    Yesterday I ran into an Old Girlfriend and I thought I missed her...
    So I backed up and hit her again, ya know sometimes I really do miss her!!

Here's what i did... A couple of ratcheting gun mounts from Kolpin under the roof. I've banged around pretty good and the rifle is very secure and quick to get out.

English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

I ordered tire ITP Mud Lite from these people and they shipped for $64.00 to AK Had them in three days.
    http://www.motosport.com/utility/tires was under $400 for set. they have good deals on all tires.

SKY Mfg mount, same one for a Rhino.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Great input from you all. I appreciate it.

Where did you get the wheels and which ones did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by FishKing View Post
    I ordered tire ITP Mud Lite from these people and they shipped for $64.00 to AK Had them in three days.
    http://www.motosport.com/utility/tires was under $400 for set. they have good deals on all tires.

sorry if I'm a little late to the discussion. I believe Sky makes a rack for either 1 or 2 guns that is made to go in the roof. I have the Rhino gun boot mount that hooks to the frame in the rear, above the bed. Holds Kolpin gun boots and fits between the frame incase of rolls, and brush. As for tires. I have 2 rhinos, and I use ITP Mud Lite XCR's ... they are belted which gives me a bit more confidence on the side walls. They are meaty and have plenty of traction as well. You can buy packages with ITP wheels as well. All the rims are fairly similar. Pick which flavor fits you. I will tell you that the old timers give ya a bit of a hassle if ya have shiny rims on your rig though. I never the end of it, until it's raining and they want ride with me since I have a roof:-).

In response to the lift kit. 26 or 27 inch tires give you quite a bit of float, as well as alot of clearance. It has been my experience that high centering and clearance is never really the issue with rhinos. If you are going to get stuck, its usually in the muck or tundra, and a couple inches of lift isn't going to help anyways. Invest in a snatch block and a good strap to go along with your winch, itll save ya a ton of hassle. Oh, steer clear of the floor mounted gun racks that go between riders. My buddy had one, and he took it out due to it being in the way, and ratling all the time. It also put some fairly nasty rub marks on his rifles.

little late here... But i usegbc gators on my 2011 with a 2" lift and my little rhino gets along pretty good. I mounted two guns like aces did, been like that foralot of miles and never has fallen out.. i forget its there. And i would recommend either getting mud guards for your rhino or relocating the radiator/fan/oil cooler. my fan died from mud at the knik glacier, along ways from the parking lot!

I see that this is a late question, but I am having a hard time coming up with a gun rack that works and keeps it dry. I used the bag style one that hangs behind the seats but they aren't waterproof. I like the looks of the sky rack system that mounts behind the half windshield. Those of you that have this, how do you like it and how well does it keep your rifle dry behind a half windshield? The ones under the roof, does it get in the way up there? It looks like it would be the driest but I might bonk me in the melon. Any thoughts? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kobuk View Post
    I see that this is a late question, but I am having a hard time coming up with a gun rack that works and keeps it dry. I used the bag style one that hangs behind the seats but they aren't waterproof.
    You could put a plastics bag over it.

Quote Originally Posted by kobuk View Post
    I see that this is a late question, but I am having a hard time coming up with a gun rack that works and keeps it dry. I used the bag style one that hangs behind the seats but they aren't waterproof. I like the looks of the sky rack system that mounts behind the half windshield. Those of you that have this, how do you like it and how well does it keep your rifle dry behind a half windshield? The ones under the roof, does it get in the way up there? It looks like it would be the driest but I might bonk me in the melon. Any thoughts? Thanks
    I have the Sky mfg double rifle roof mount on my Rhino, comfortably holds two scoped rifles. I really like it so far. It makes for quick access, keeps the rifles dry(if you have a roof) and holds them good. It never gets in the way for me as the rhinos roll cage is already pretty tall(i'd like to chop mine a few inches to be honest), but i'm about 5' 9", still couldn't see it bonking your head even if your taller.

So what mods did you end up doing to your rhino?