Thread: Halibut in K-bay yet

Default Halibut in K-bay yet

I am heading out in the morning and plan to do a little halibut fishing some trolling and see if I can get some clams for dinner. Anyone have luck in k-bay yet on the butts? How far are you having to run? I was thinking of trying off of Seldovia fresh halibut after this winter we had sounds great

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    I am heading out in the morning and plan to do a little halibut fishing some trolling and see if I can get some clams for dinner. Anyone have luck in k-bay yet on the butts? How far are you having to run? I was thinking of trying off of Seldovia fresh halibut after this winter we had sounds great

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    Have been fishing them for awhile. Not much for size yet and have to weed thru the cod, but some to be had. Kings have been spotty for the past week. Humpbacks spotted today though so maybe a change on the way. Good Luck

Charterboat Operator

0321Tony! been jigging Gray Cod starting end of March. On the 31st we picked up a butt just over 100lbs and the same day one just under! and it blew my mind! then on April 2nd on the same jig machines, I pulled one up close to 80inch's or round 180 ta 200lbs this time of year.! All fish were caught round Barber Creek in bout 14fathoms! That's early even for me! they must be feeding on the Cod so use big bait's IF your lookin for a big one!! and it mite keep you out of the cod... Plenty of micro's out in 40fathom's!!! Not allowed to take any other species other then Grey Cod when jigging Cod. these Halibut were released! good luck

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    A little late for the trip you took last week, but I didn't have much trouble finding them today. The halibut were 16 and 25 lbs. and I got them right about the middle of the bay, and the king was 15 lbs. off the Bluffs. Interestingly no cod at all.
    1 king.JPG2 butt.JPG
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I talked to a friend who had talked to a friend and said that they were seeing "chalky" halibut all ready. Any truth to that rumor?

Quote Originally Posted by akcarv View Post
    I talked to a friend who had talked to a friend and said that they were seeing "chalky" halibut all ready. Any truth to that rumor?
    Not that I know of if you're asking me, but today was my first halibut trip of the season. The 2 I caught today were normal.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com