Thread: Looking for a revolver smith, Anchorage or the valley.

Default Looking for a revolver smith, Anchorage or the valley.

I just picked up a Ruger Redhawk 45 Colt and like many of the Rugers in this chambering it's cylinder throats are undersize of the bore. The bore is .452 and the cylinder throats range from .4512-.4517. I am wanting to have the cylinder throats opened to .4525. I've no intentions of running anything other than cast bullets in it. Are there any revolver smiths in the Anchorage/Matsu area who can do this work. Also looking for a trigger job on the same gun while I'm at it. Thanks in advance.

Mart

Lots on info on doing this under the handgun section of this forum. There is even a reamer floating around if you want to do it yourself.

Out of curiosity - is the barrel in your Redhawk correctly aligned / screwed in properly?

Quote Originally Posted by mart View Post
    I just picked up a Ruger Redhawk 45 Colt and like many of the Rugers in this chambering it's cylinder throats are undersize of the bore. The bore is .452 and the cylinder throats range from .4512-.4517. I am wanting to have the cylinder throats opened to .4525. I've no intentions of running anything other than cast bullets in it. Are there any revolver smiths in the Anchorage/Matsu area who can do this work. Also looking for a trigger job on the same gun while I'm at it. Thanks in advance.

Mart
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I don't have a set of revolver range rods to check the alignment but the cylinder and bore alignment appears to be correct as near as I can tell by eye.

Mart

Default Barrel installation

Mart-

Thanks for the reply.

What I was actually interested in was if the barrel was correctly screwed into the frame i.e. if the top of the barrel rib was flat with the top of the frame. On the last three .45 Redhawks I've examined - including mine- the barrel was not screwed far enough into the frame. If you looked at the barrel from the muzzle end with the top of the frame horizonal the front sight was in the 11:30 to 11:45 position. You can also check the top edges of the barrel rib against the side of the frame - the distances should be equal of course.

Check the whole gun over carefully for the barrel alignment and any other issues - mine had several barrel related problems. The great folks at Ruger got everything squared away except the barrel alignment and refunded my purchase price when they couldn't fix it.

I hope your Redhawk checks out fine. I've been looking to buy another one myself as soon as I find a correctly assembled one.

QUOTE=mart;1106085]I don't have a set of revolver range rods to check the alignment but the cylinder and bore alignment appears to be correct as near as I can tell by eye.

Mart[/QUOTE]
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

The barrel alignment looks pretty good. I shot it today with cast bullets. I will definitely be getting the cylinder throats reamed to .4525. It shot poorly to say the least with cast. I pretty much expected that with the throats undersized like they are.

Mart