Thread: Tipi style tents

Default Tipi style tents

Im looking at buying a tipi style tent. Im really liking the GoLite ShangriLa 5 but am haiving some difficulty finding a good price on one. Does anyone have any recommendations on any other brand? The only other that comes to mind is Kifaru and they are $$$$
    Thanks
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

The key on the golite is off season sales. They usually sell them for 40% off over the winter. Unfortunately there usually aren't many deals in the spring.

seek outside has their own version of tipi tents. They have several that compete with the Kifaru models. I think AK Lanche bought one of their newer tents to compare to the Beartooth or Sawtooth. Their products get good reviews on 24hour campfire.

Mountain Laurel Designs also make tarp tents.

Bearpaw wilderness Designs also make tarp tents and bug net nests for inside SL style tents. Looking forward to mine showing up this week.

Keep an eye on prolight gear for off season sales. I picked up a SL5 this winter for less than $300 and had free shipping.

The MLD Supermid at 70sf falls between the SL 3 (59sf) and SL 5 (90sf) and also lands right between them in price coming in at $295. The MLD doesn't come with a pole though and is designed to be used with a set of trekking poles tied together.

http://www.wyominglostandfound.com/ Great tents and amazing company to work with you call and you talk to the owner/builder of your Tipi they will build every mod you want into it. price is nice as well
    RLTW
    HUNT HARD HUNT SAFE
    WILL

Titanium Goat makes nice tipi tents - http://www.titaniumgoat.com/

I've got the Ti Goat Vertex 8 and really like it. No such thing as tooooo much room - get a big one. I also use the Ti Goat titanium wood stove. Condensation is an issue with single wall tents, but it's manageable. They make a liner to deal with the condensation issue as does Kifaru.

You might also do a search on tipi tents as they have been discussed here in the past - good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What's the reasoning behind getting one of these type of tents as opposed to a dome tent?

Weight is the reason and the floorless feature lends itself to wood stove use.

My 12 Man Kifau [perfect for 3-4 Geezers] and my titanium box stove together weigh less than 20 pounds in my SuperCub flight.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    What's the reasoning behind getting one of these type of tents as opposed to a dome tent?
    You can keep your boots on when getting in and out. If rafting/boating and wearing waders all day you don't have to take them off outside. Your filthy wet dog can come in and not get everything as filthy and wet as she is. Cleaning out the floor of a normal tent once a wet dog has spent the night in it really sucks.

However, if you are in really buggy terrian you will need an additional net nest for sleeping in.

They offer superior wind resistance and are excellent for cooking shelters and gear storage. Great for sheep hunting. I have a http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com...ga-light-tent/ Megamid, been very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    You can keep your boots on when getting in and out. If rafting/boating and wearing waders all day you don't have to take them off outside. Your filthy wet dog can come in and not get everything as filthy and wet as she is. Cleaning out the floor of a normal tent once a wet dog has spent the night in it really sucks.

However, if you are in really buggy terrian you will need an additional net nest for sleeping in.
    This sums up most of it. I use em because they are ridiculously light and offer a much more comfortable shelter than a bivi. There are several companies like bearpaw that make super light bug-net/floor combos that you can just hang inside a tipi for sleeping in. Our biggest one is 10'x19' and weighs only about 10lbs. It is a mansion for boat or wheeler trips without taking up a ton of packing space like a conventional tent in that size does.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    The MLD Supermid at 70sf falls between the SL 3 (59sf) and SL 5 (90sf) and also lands right between them in price coming in at $295. The MLD doesn't come with a pole though and is designed to be used with a set of trekking poles tied together.
    I've got a lead on an older SL4. It specs out at 90sq ft also. Same as SL5. Do you know any other differences??
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I bought the Shangrila 3 recently and set it up in my living room ( I may have been a bit over excited). It was a great two person tent with gear, so I can only imagine the 5 would be preset impressive. Can't wait to test it out this year! Good luck regardless!

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    I've got a lead on an older SL4. It specs out at 90sq ft also. Same as SL5. Do you know any other differences??
    The SL4 is a A-frame (pup tent) shaped, using two poles instead of one like the SL3 and SL5. I have been looking for an SL4 nest to use in my SL8 shell for a 50/50 split between bug-proof and true floorless.

Just a note, my previous statement was wrong the SL4 was a single pole tipi or pyramid style tent. I am not sure if it is 4 or 5 sided and couldn't find a diagram online. I "think" it is 4 sided. I have the 3, 5 and 8 in my collection and was thinking that the 4 was a smaller version of the SL6 and 8 design.

Having no personal experience with a tipi, I would suspect that proper setup and placement are both key determinates of how bomb-proof they can be. How many people are using tipis for sheep and goat hunting? The wt and usable space make them seem like a great option.

Quote Originally Posted by BREW View Post
    Having no personal experience with a tipi, I would suspect that proper setup and placement are both key determinates of how bomb-proof they can be. How many people are using tipis for sheep and goat hunting? The wt and usable space make them seem like a great option.
    Love mine,, so much room for the weight. 12lbs with the stove and liner, 4 1/2 lbs for just the sawtooth. I can have it up in 2 minutes or so and down even quicker.

Used mine for Sheep, Moose, Goat and Kodiak Bear.

Video of it on Kodiak in some usual Kodiak weather, I pitched it in an exposed area on purpose to see if it hold up. Was more than happy with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps9jdCMo4gg
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/