Thread: parachute vs drift sock for dislodging a jet boat?

Default parachute vs drift sock for dislodging a jet boat?

Wondering if anyone has had the chance to try both methods to un-park your jet boat from a gravel bar, etc? Is there any big advantages or disadvantages of parachute vs drift socks? I've seen drift socks on Cabelas for relatively cheap, wondering if they're up to the task or if their too wimpy. This would be for a 17.5 ft. Wooldridge Alaskan.

I have tried the drift sock and the one I have has helped but was not quite big enough, its maybe a 60" diameter.....? Will have to check, it is well made and quite heavy duty but I wish it was bigger, so a parchute may be a better choice. They work, but can be awkward to deploy at times. It can be hard to get a large diameter object filled with water if the channel is only 18" deep........
    The 77 incher from Cabelas may be worth a try, I think it would heavy enough, I am sure its heavier than a chute, make sure you have a release tied to it, or keep a sharp knife handy...
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I bought a HUGE ocean purpose drift sock and they do work. Like Akgramps stated be ready to cut the cord or have a way to release. the pulling power in a fast current is incredible. They are not the easiest to deploy but do work. I used in conjunction with some deflated basketballs that I pumped up to break the suction of hull from sand and mud. A rope a long is helpful as well.

your wasting your time and money with both. just buy a PulPal. they will hook up in mud, sand, gravel, dirt, whatever without fail. it's the best thing out there for pulling youself off a sandbar using a winch or comealong.

Quote Originally Posted by ALASKAN KODA View Post
    your wasting your time and money with both. just buy a PulPal. they will hook up in mud, sand, gravel, dirt, whatever without fail. it's the best thing out there for pulling youself off a sandbar using a winch or comealong.
    I havent found one single item that is the ticket for every situation, you better have more tricks up yer sleeve than just a yank along, pulpal, paypal or whatever.
    Been stuck at the edge of a channel in the Tanana, dont care what kinda winch or anchor you had unless you could swim the river to hook to the other side. I could have yanked it right off with a sock or chute that time.
    Bought a sock and next time I needed a winch, carry both now and 600 feet of wire rope. Good to be prepared or get better at reading water.........
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Thumbs up Chain saw winch

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    I havent found one single item that is the ticket for every situation, you better have more tricks up yer sleeve than just a yank along, pulpal, paypal or whatever.
    Been stuck at the edge of a channel in the Tanana, dont care what kinda winch or anchor you had unless you could swim the river to hook to the other side. I could have yanked it right off with a sock or chute that time.
    Bought a sock and next time I needed a winch, carry both now and 600 feet of wire rope. Good to be prepared or get better at reading water.........
    I've used a Lewis chain saw winch on three occasions. Somebody might have to stay on the beach, But Mr Lewis ALWAYS rides.

Thumbs up

I have used socks, parachutes and winches. What I carry in the boat-- a Simpson capstan winch, 600ft of rope and 8x10 blue tarp. The blue tarp is tough, cheap, available at almost every store and serves many uses other than shelter, ground cloth, etc. Tie ropes to that thing get it to catch water and you better have someone ready to cut the rope at the boat or it will leave you standing there. I have found the ole blue tarp is hard to beat for the price and availability!
    Forgot to add, more times than not, a winch is my go to recovery tool.
    Just my 2 Cents.
    Mike

I second the pull pal, 9 times out 10 the problem I have is nothing to winch to. I carry a lewiston winch but any pulling system will work. The pull pal has no problem staying put while I winch my 4000+lb boat to it.

i have seen the chute work a couple of times pulling a 23' with a 454 for weight. worked like a champ, as stated above keep a knife handy to cut ONE of the ropes to dump the water and let it empty. Don't freak out and cut both attachment ropes. Bye bye chute...... I do carry a come a long and 100' of rope. Havent had to use it on my tub ...yet
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's