Thread: Another 454 Redhawk is born!

Default Another 454 Redhawk is born!

Another 454 Redhawk is born! Thanks to Snyd for posting on how easy this is to do. I found a new satin stainless finish 454 super redhawk with 9 ½ inch barrel for a good price to get a cylinder. I did have to do a little stoning on the pawl on the redhawk, but not much. Everything lines up and timing is right.

I havenít got it to the range yet, however, have loaded up some 355 gr and 405 gr hardcast from beartooth bullets in casull cases. I have already shot some of these in 45 colt cases, but am trying a little more powder for casull.

I believe Snyd found up to 435gr bullet worked fine in his 454 Redhawk. This would be only for short range bear protection while backpacking and fishing in Montana and Alaska. I might try finding a heavier bullet, maybe a .458 diameter that I could size down to .454, however, it would need to be no longer than about 1.05-1.07 inches to get enough powder in the case according to my calculations.

As I posted in another thread, I put a taller front sight blade on the redhawk that is made for a 45Colt Blackhawk, turns out it is the right height. I can adjust the rear sight to shoot heavy or light loads without hitting the bottom or top of adjustment.

I have the Nill Griffe wood grips on this redhawk as well as on my 5.5 inch 45 Colt redhawk (again thanks to Snyd for posting about these). I find these grips work really well for heavy loads and they look great. The bantam hogue rubber grips, while they fit my hand, donít allow the grip to slide like the wood and so the recoil I feel is harder. I also develop blisters with the rubber if I shoot more than a few loads.

If anybody is looking for a super redhawk frame with everything except the cylinder send me a PM, I am looking to sell it.

Enjoy the Ruger's and load safe.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Wow! Cool!. I did experiment with the RCBS 45-405-FN. It drops 435gr with ww alloy. It's a .458 and I sized em down to .454 and .452. Problem with that boolit is there is not much of a crimp groove. I could keep them from jumping crimp after 3 rnds and poking out of the end of the cylinder. I used new brass, .454, rcbs and lee sizer dies. minimal case flare. All to no avail. I do have some boolits from a Lyman 457643 that I sized down. They have a better crimp groove and after 9rnds it moved .010 but not enough to lock up gun. I still need to do some testing with this one, it might work. But for now I'm shooting the 355wfns at 12-1300fps. I sold the 45-405-FN mold.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I can't PM you - perhaps because you are a new member? I'd interested in the cylinderless SRH - try and PM me with what you want for it.

Quote Originally Posted by theguy52 View Post
    Another 454 Redhawk is born! Thanks to Snyd for posting on how easy this is to do. I found a new satin stainless finish 454 super redhawk with 9 ½ inch barrel for a good price to get a cylinder. I did have to do a little stoning on the pawl on the redhawk, but not much. Everything lines up and timing is right.

I havenít got it to the range yet, however, have loaded up some 355 gr and 405 gr hardcast from beartooth bullets in casull cases. I have already shot some of these in 45 colt cases, but am trying a little more powder for casull.

I believe Snyd found up to 435gr bullet worked fine in his 454 Redhawk. This would be only for short range bear protection while backpacking and fishing in Montana and Alaska. I might try finding a heavier bullet, maybe a .458 diameter that I could size down to .454, however, it would need to be no longer than about 1.05-1.07 inches to get enough powder in the case according to my calculations.

As I posted in another thread, I put a taller front sight blade on the redhawk that is made for a 45Colt Blackhawk, turns out it is the right height. I can adjust the rear sight to shoot heavy or light loads without hitting the bottom or top of adjustment.

I have the Nill Griffe wood grips on this redhawk as well as on my 5.5 inch 45 Colt redhawk (again thanks to Snyd for posting about these). I find these grips work really well for heavy loads and they look great. The bantam hogue rubber grips, while they fit my hand, donít allow the grip to slide like the wood and so the recoil I feel is harder. I also develop blisters with the rubber if I shoot more than a few loads.

If anybody is looking for a super redhawk frame with everything except the cylinder send me a PM, I am looking to sell it.

Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I can't PM you either theguy52, but I might be interested in your Redhawk cylinder in .45 Colt.

Based on what Snyd posted about bullets about 435gr jumping crimp. Maybe I'll stick with the 355gr and 405gr bullets I already have.

I don't know what the deal is with PM's. Do I have to have a certain number of posts?

I am not looking to sell the 45 Colt cylinder at this time, but am looking to sell the SRH frame.

Hopefully we can figure out someway to communicate on that.

What boolit are you loading and shooting for the 405's? Have you experimented with them much?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Snyd,
    The 405 gr hard cast are from Beartooth bullets in Idaho (I don't cast my own). I have loaded them in 45 colt cases with a 1.77 inch OAL and 19.5 gr H110. I used Hodgdon reloading data for casull 395gr and calculated that pressure would be around the 32,000 that seems to be considered max for redhawk 45 colt. They shoot just fine at short distances (<25 yds), and recoil actually felt less than the 355 gr load (1.68 inch OAL) in 45 Colt cases 21 gr H110 (this is max from Hodgedon data).

Default Contact

Send me an email on the frame to tvfinak@gmail.com

Based on what Snyd posted about bullets about 435gr jumping crimp. Maybe I'll stick with the 355gr and 405gr bullets I already have.

I don't know what the deal is with PM's. Do I have to have a certain number of posts?

I am not looking to sell the 45 Colt cylinder at this time, but am looking to sell the SRH frame.

Hopefully we can figure out someway to communicate on that.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

If you guys donít come to a deal on that frame give me a holler and see if we can make a deal on it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Now instead of a switch barrels gun, you've got a switch cylinders one! So what kind of a discount comes on a cylinder free SRH?
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

As I said before I found that I needed to do some stoning of the pawl for it not to bind up when using the 454 cylinder. When I dry fired the 4" redhawk it was fine, then when I got to the range it would be hard to turn on some cylinders (maybe because it was getting dirty from firing?). I have smoothed it out some more and think it will be good now. I am getting a couple extra pawls, so that I can keep the fitted pawl for use with the each cylinder on each redhawk (4" and 5.5" redhawks, 45 colt and 454 cylinders).

ADfields,
    I have sent you an email, I don't know if you got it or not. Please send me an email whether you are or arent interested in the SRH frame.
    Thanks

Very Nice!
    How Much?

Attached Images Attached Images

ADfields,
    I have sent you an email, I don't know if you got it or not. Please send me an email whether you are or arent interested in the SRH frame.
    Thanks
    Sorry, I missed that till now, I sent an email through the system.
    Yes Iím very interested in it to build a custom on, how much are you looking for on it?
    My email is: adfields(at)mtaonline.net phone is 907-841-seven4one6
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona