Thread: how to find burn maps for hunting morel mushrooms

Default how to find burn maps for hunting morel mushrooms

anybody have any advice Ive only gotten into a small patch or two in the Turnagain arm but i want more!!!!!!

Ask the Area Forester or Fire Management Officer at the DNR Forestry office for the area you're in (Palmer Area Forestry for the ANC/Mat-Su; Kenai/Kodiak Area Forestry for those areas, etc.).
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

is there any picking groups meeting around anchorage

I used to pick lots of Morels when I lived in the PNW. I didn't like picking in burns because the mushrooms tend to be so much dirtier... Burned areas are popular and get lots of attention, but Morels also grow profusely in areas that haven't burned in a hundred years. Once you get a feel for them you can find them pretty consistently, and often the same areas will produce predictably year after year. Good Morel spots are closely guarded secrets, and none of mine were anywhere near any burned areas.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Am I too late to go find morels? I would love to go pick a mess. Back home they always grew around dead elm trees, but were a little short on those up here...lol

No, it's not too late. I was looking while at work today. Still pretty dry, a good rain would help pop 'em up.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

when that sun comes out today I WILL BE OUT ON THE HUNT dont forget your mesh or paper bags we are obligated to spread them spores FISH ON!!!!!!