Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting with the wife or significant other

Default Hunting with the wife or significant other

I'm curious how many guys have their wife / fiance/ girlfriend as their hunting partner of choice? I'm not talking about those guys that have to convince the wife to go hunting, I'm talking about the ones that want to go and are jealous if we go with other guys.

On the other hand, I'm curious to know if there are any lady members on here that that have a significant other that DOES NOT like hunting with them? I would think that may pose some planning challenges for some.

My wife is always an active part of making black bear hunting plans in the sound. It usually ends up as more of a getaway trip and is usually more productive on the shrimping end of things but its always a good time.

When it comes to moose hunting she likes to get out and go on the weekends but always supports the guys trip of 1-2 weeks. She likes full freezers

As for caribou hunting or getting out somewhere that requires sleeping in a tent, well I'm still working on her. She has a phobea of sleeping in bear country. I'm hoping that she'll come around and be ok with a bear fence. If not she will just have to pass. Either way its all good.

My wife is my hunting partner, regardless of what we are chasing. My old partner moved out of state and she took his spot. Wouldn't have it any other way. No suprises out in the field.
    In fact, I love taking her out so she can do the shooting and experience everything first hand.
    (Plus it makes it easier to buy toys!!)
    BK

My wife is my best hunting partner, period. My wife has been hunting with me since we started dating back in 1976. We have hunted all over the states, for all kinds of game. We've hiked in, used horses, floated, used 4-wheelers, in tracked machines, and snowmachines. I'm hard of hearing and colorblind, she is my ears and eyes. When Still Hunting she is either just ahead of me where I can see her responses or she is right behind me where she can pull my hip pocket if she hears something and I don't. She can see color, and spot things that I will miss, I can spot movement, or shapes faster than she can. So we compliment each other. We never split up to hunt alone. She has saved my bacon with a charging Grizzly. Darn that woman can shoot, she is a pretty good skinner too.

Plus the one major advantage. At the end of a hard tiring day of hunting, skinning, or what ever. How many of your hunting partners do you want crawling into your sleeping bag to snuggle with you? She is my best friend, hunting partner, and my little snuggle bunny, all wrapped up in one.

As for buying toys, that's where it gets expensive. She wants only the best. She shoots a Browning BAR in .338, a Remington 7400 in 30-06, and an over and under 20ga shotgun for birds, and skeet. She wants her own snowmachine and 4-wheeler, she won't ride double. She wants her own cataraft, and she carries her own pistols when she is out with me. When I met her she was anti-gun. Today she is an NRA shooting instructor, and collects .357 mag pistols. Her phylosiphy if you know how many guns you own you don't have enough. Every month or so she is buying a new gun, either for herself, our son, or for me. She's a keeper.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Quote Originally Posted by iusckeeper View Post
    I'm talking about the ones that want to go and are jealous if we go with other guys.
    That describes my wife perfectly. I only hunt with friends a couple of times per year, as my wife is my go-to partner and always wants to go along. Like the others here, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    My wife is my best hunting partner, period. My wife has been hunting with me since we started dating back in 1976.......
    Kuddos to you buddy.....that is fantastic...!!!

[QUOTE=Graybeard;1105754As for buying toys, that's where it gets expensive. She wants only the best. She shoots a Browning BAR in .338, a Remington 7400 in 30-06, and an over and under 20ga shotgun for birds, and skeet. She wants her own snowmachine and 4-wheeler, she won't ride double. She wants her own cataraft, and she carries her own pistols when she is out with me. When I met her she was anti-gun. Today she is an NRA shooting instructor, and collects .357 mag pistols. Her phylosiphy if you know how many guns you own you don't have enough. Every month or so she is buying a new gun, either for herself, our son, or for me. She's a keeper.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm talking about... the only down side is how the expense of hunting is doubled. No sharing... Can't only have one of everything. Hunting in Alaska is expensive. Hunting in Alaska with your wife is twice as expensive.

I hunt with my husband. Neither of us would be upset if the other hunted with someone else, but only if we couldn't go. Like I had to work or he was overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by iusckeeper View Post
    That's what I'm talking about... the only down side is how the expense of hunting is doubled. No sharing... Can't only have one of everything. Hunting in Alaska is expensive. Hunting in Alaska with your wife is twice as expensive.
    Mostly true...but on the other hand, there's also no need to split the meat between two households, so the added expense reaps added rewards.

My wife loves to hunt and fish just as much as I do. Not taking her with me is not an option. LOL I work on the Slope and when I'm away she goes hunting and fishing with the kids or if they can't go, she goes by herself. When I met her in Delta Junction in 1994 we would go hunting and fishing for dates. Not much else to do there back in the day. It was all new to her as she never did as a kid with her family or church group. She quickly grew to like it and then after she killed her first whitetail deer when I was transfered to Maine, she fell in love with hunting. She was hunting alone that day when she killed it. She loves to hunt grouse or Ptarmigan more than any other game but has killed moose also. She does love to fish more than hunt and has her own little skiff, miniature pontoon boat and canoe to give her the flexibility to fish which ever lake, stream she desires while I'm away. Funny that I have to ask to use them when she is working during the day as she reminds me that they are her boats.

Yes, the Wife, shes handy out there, ..........so good, when the kids grow up , we wont come back.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

My gal is hands down the best partner I've ever had on the river, in the woods or on the hills. Best part is the entire catch goes into 1 freezer. I wouldn't change it for the world.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

My wife and I love to fish and enjoy the outdoors together whenever we get the chance. I took her rabbit hunting with me once, and she had fun, but when she saw the rabbit flopping around after a well placed head shot, she started crying. Next time I think she will do better if we hunt something that isn't quite so "cute".

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticmayhem View Post
    My wife and I love to fish and enjoy the outdoors together whenever we get the chance. I took her rabbit hunting with me once, and she had fun, but when she saw the rabbit flopping around after a well placed head shot, she started crying. Next time I think she will do better if we hunt something that isn't quite so "cute".
    Ha, for some reason all the women I have seen or known that learned to hunt felt the least amount of remourse dropping a bird. Get after them feathers!

The bride and I spend at least a couple weeks each month in the forest until snowed out each year.We went looking for bear yesterday and the grounds still have three to five foot of snow most everywhere so it will be a long spring.Camp food is always great and the sleeping bag warm.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Default Enough Said?

My wife and I have a great time hunting and fishing together. She comes as often as she can and she is a real trooper. Each year she signs on for more trips and this year she will make almost every trip I do.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My wife is my #1 fishing buddy. I would rather fish with her than anyone else on this planet. When it comes to hunting, we do a few rabbit hunting trips together but she spends most of the day hiking and taking pictures. She's not against shooting any kind of animal, she just seems to prefer I do it.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

I like to go hunting, but my husband isn't as into it. It does make it kinda hard sometimes, especially since all my other hunting buddies seem to keep moving back to the lower 48 as the military/school situation dictates (I haven't been out hunting in a couple years now, actually, and have only ever gotten one caribou). He recently got out of the army and had to give all his outdoor gear back, and now that we are slowly accumulating all his equipment back (sleeping bags, backpacks, etc...), he has been game to go out more frequently, so hopefully I can convince him to go out with me more! Unfortunately I am rather limited in going hunting by myself; some of the sheep packs I hear guys talking about packing out here weigh more than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    My wife loves to hunt and fish just as much as I do. Not taking her with me is not an option. LOL I work on the Slope and when I'm away she goes hunting and fishing with the kids or if they can't go, she goes by herself. When I met her in Delta Junction in 1994 we would go hunting and fishing for dates. Not much else to do there back in the day. It was all new to her as she never did as a kid with her family or church group. She quickly grew to like it and then after she killed her first whitetail deer when I was transfered to Maine, she fell in love with hunting. She was hunting alone that day when she killed it. She loves to hunt grouse or Ptarmigan more than any other game but has killed moose also. She does love to fish more than hunt and has her own little skiff, miniature pontoon boat and canoe to give her the flexibility to fish which ever lake, stream she desires while I'm away. Funny that I have to ask to use them when she is working during the day as she reminds me that they are her boats.

Here is her first Moose, a huge cow taken infront of Donnely Dome on Ft. Greely about 5 years ago. Its a cellphone shot, not as clear as I would have liked. Not the most estetic looking photo op, but I had it all ready for processing when she realized she had her cellphone on her so we could take a picture. She had left the camera back at the motorhome and it was late in the day, and I had already processed 2 other moose, (both my boys) that day and I just wanted to get r done!!!

10-03-07_1515.jpg

My wife almost always goes with me - if she doesn't she is wishing she were.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast