Thread: Talley rings

Default Talley rings

For some time now I've read posts on here and in the hunting forum talking up the Talley rings. Mostly I've read about their use on lighter rifles. I'm not aware of ever having problems with Leupold rings around my Leupold scopes. So, I'm curious about what's the lure to Talley's? Are the few ounces saved the attraction?

Quote Originally Posted by HuntKodiak View Post
    For some time now I've read posts on here and in the hunting forum talking up the Talley rings. Mostly I've read about their use on lighter rifles. I'm not aware of ever having problems with Leupold rings around my Leupold scopes. So, I'm curious about what's the lure to Talley's? Are the few ounces saved the attraction?
    The Talley's are popular because of their weight and the integral base- one less piece to come loose.

I personally don't care for them from an aesthetic standpoint but they work. I do like their steel vertical split rings and I'm also a fan of the Leupold Dual Dovetail rings- pretty finicky to set up and lap but once they're on- they're on...forever.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I like their design, function, and appearance. Have never selected them based on weight.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I like their design, function, and appearance. Have never selected them based on weight.
    same here, the weight savings on a normal weight rifle is minimal and unnoticed for me, but I like everything about them.

I'm a firm believer in the less parts an assembly has, the less things there are to go wrong. I have several sets of the talley 1 pc lw's, and unless I need a 20 moa rail for long range, they are my ring/base of choice.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Yep, nice rings for sure. Simple design and lightweight. Pretty much all I use now.

I like the Talley LW rings and have them are several rifles. Some guys think they are the greatest ever, others will not use them at all, I fall into a third category of use...

The LW weight savings can be significant IMO. I've not weighed every setup I use, but the LWs are around 2.5 oz and an all steel system can easily be 7 oz or more. That doesn't sound like much, but placed directly over the receiver it makes a great deal of difference in a rifle's balance if not in overall weight.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I have slowly changed out my rifles from Leupold bases to Talley Lightweights. They are so much better built than other models are.

Any other base system I have used has needed to be lapped for proper fit and to keep scope tube scratches to a minimum. The Talley ones never have needed any lapping at all. They have all matched up perfectly.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

I just purchased my first pair for my 300wsm on a Rem 700 action. I wish the lows would have been a little lower but they are not bad. They needed to be lapped, but usually so does everything else. So far I like them. My rifle is fitted with a Leupold vx 2 3x9x40. I called Talley and they suggested the torque the base to the action 25inlbs and 18inlbs for the rings, if anyone needed that info. I think I am going to buy another pair for my fathers 338wm project.

Birdman,
    As you discovered, the lows are a bit higher than most bases but they also list an EXTRA LOW Talley.

As far as the lows being lower, it depends on what scope you use. Here is my son's M700 .243 with a leupold 6X42 in talley lw lows with butler creek caps. The front bell with the scope cap is just clearing the barrel.

I believe talley makes and extra low ring, but it may give clearance issues with some scopes and barrels.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Exactly!
    I also use the lows on 42mm scopes but for my 2.5X I prefer the extra low.

I did not know they offered an ultra low, everywhere I looked when shopping, all I read was low's. Bummer, thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    Birdman,
    As you discovered, the lows are a bit higher than most bases but they also list an EXTRA LOW Talley.
    You learn something everyday! The thing I dislike about Talley LWs is they're too high....duh. Now I may give them another whirl with the extra-lows. Thanks Vern.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Birdman - you will most likely find that the need for lapping isn't the fault of the Talleys but lies in the alignment of the bridge holes on your 700

I had a windage screw back out on me during a hunt in 2006. Soon after the hunt, I bought my first set of Talley LW rings......and soon after that, I swapped out every stupid set of windage adjustable bases/rings I had. Talley LW's are my mount of choice.

I agree with dan. I had a scope break in half on one of my rifles during a atv accident, it was with leupold windage adjustable bases. a second rifle in the same accident broke the stock in half but the dual turn in bases rings and scope didn't even need adjusted after putting it in a new stock. Leupold dual turn in are great but the adjustable bases just ad another weak spot that aren't there with the talley LW. I've switched over to talley lightweights on anything that I don't want a detachable scope on.

Geez.....Bear 78 that must have been a bad incident. I hope you came through OK!

I haven't experienced that extreme of a test but I have not had any failures at all and I have 6 sets of Tallys in use.

I have never used a set of Talley rings or bases before but have used several sets of Leupold rings and bases. I am in no way talking down the Talley's because I have no experience with them. But I have had a lot of experence with the Leupold and never had any of the problems that have been wrote in the above threads.

Thebear 78 I would like to hear more about your atv accident. What kind of rifles and what make of scopes were on them? What scope did you break in half and where did it break? You should of finished that day off buying lottery tickets.

I now have 2 rifles with Talley LW and I like them a lot. The one piece design I like as its one less area of potential problems to worry about. I still have nothing bad to say about Leupolds either - they are both fine quality products with very good service.... I had a cpl bad screws on my first pair of Talleys and one phone call had me some more screws asap at no chg...
    I have a pair of medium Talley LW, I think, for a Rem700 that I put on, and then opted to go lower. I will make someone a very good deal if interested? These are just like new...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....