Thread: Trail recommendation

Default Trail recommendation

2 of us are coming to Alaska for the first time in the beginning of June for a week. We have one day free now, and am looking for a nice day hike, about 3-6 miles. We are staying in the Kenai area, but will spend one day in the Anchorage area as well. Any trail recommendations? We are experienced backpackers, not climbers, but will not be bringing any of our gear except a water filter and cooking equipment. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Summit Creek Trail. When you get to the back, turn left, when you get to the lake turn right.

For the Kenai Peninsula...

I'll second that...Summit Creek Trail is a great recommendation. It was overcast on this day but on a blue sky day you will regret not pitching a tent and just staying. Very pretty up there. Its difficult to find the pulloff for the trailhead, print out the instructions in the link.
    http://www.alaskahikesearch.com/Hikes/Summitcrk.htm

024.jpg
    My only concern is your timeframe. There may be snow then at higher elevations. We did it last year on the 15th of June and had no problems, but we did get extra snow this year and you mentioned early June. So you should check on trail conditions then, and plan on a backup trail just in case.

For the backup plan I think you might like this one. It is very beautiful but also a popular shorter hike, you will probably see other hikers on the trail.
    skilak6.JPG

http://www.alaskahikesearch.com/Hikes/Skilak.htm
    On a hot sunny day you will want to sit on that hillside overlooking Skilak and kick back and have lunch and just look. Absolutely stunning views in every direction.

Quote Originally Posted by tustumena_lake View Post
    Its difficult to find the pulloff for the trailhead, print out the instructions in the link. .
    Really? I didn't find it difficult at all! As of fall 2010 at least it was clearly signed as far as I saw.

I must be blind ! I sure don't remember seeing one on the highway.

Thanks for the correction dreamerofdreams.

Quote Originally Posted by tustumena_lake View Post
    I must be blind ! I sure don't remember seeing one on the highway.

Thanks for the correction dreamerofdreams.
    You are correct there is NO sign on the Hwy. In fact the trail head sign is 70 yards up the trail, and NOT visible from the Hidden parking area.

Summit LAKE is marked, but not Summit Creek.

Huh, I'd have to go back and check, but I thought there was the little hiker sign for a trailhead. Maybe I'm thinking Devil's Pass.