Thread: Chinapoot Butters/Otter rock day of fun

Default Chinapoot Butters/Otter rock day of fun

Awesome day today. 11 of us piled in the boat and headed for a few hours at Otter rock where the kids saw more critters than ever. Sun stars, shrimp, sponge, crab and a slew of unknown living thingys. Then a couple hours in chinapoot and we got a couple buckets of butters. Gotta love getting out in April to get the season started.

Anyone else go for razors or butters? How did you do?

Razors from a spot that I almost never see others dig, two other diggers and I only got 51 not to bad!

Never went for clams in chinapoot I am heading out tomorrow for a little fishng and claming where were you at in chinapoot. I have a spot I have went to in Sadie cove for years but it seems to have dried up over the last three years or so and you really have to work for them

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

You need to be into chinapoot before tide goes lower than about - 2 or it gets real tricky. Hug about 40 to 60 feet off rocks on left side of the bay going in. The channel is narrow. And stay close left till you get to the huge sandbar on left side about 3/4 mile in. Stay away from right side of the bay, you will see rapids showing very shallow water. The whole bar is loaded with butters around 8-10 inches deep. Well not the whole bar but we load a bucket in about 30 minutes. I do best on slight inclines working my way from a low spot towards the incline.

Good luck.

Steamers have gotten pretty slim in the bay the last few years, the ones we can find are all pretty good sized, with no new cohort waiting in the wings. Doubt we will have any in a couple years. A shame we didn't drop the limit from 1000 to 80 years ago.... (of course the Homer AC had wanted to...)
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Went to clam gulch and dug some razor clams. First experience with that and the kids had a good time. Brought home about 50 or so and cleaned them up and fried them today. They were real tasty. Saturday night spent in Homer on the spit. Fishing near the hotel on the end and caught a really nice flounder in the 10+pound range. Only thing is when I fileted it up the filets were like jelly, really nasty looking.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Steamers have gotten pretty slim in the bay the last few years, the ones we can find are all pretty good sized, with no new cohort waiting in the wings. Doubt we will have any in a couple years. A shame we didn't drop the limit from 1000 to 80 years ago.... (of course the Homer AC had wanted to...)
    The steamers we dug from 20+ years ago were the quarter size you find in Peterson bay lagoon. Those are off limits now. What I call butters are the 2.5 inch at least in size and they are 700 per day. Like you say they have diminished in numbers as well. A 2.5 " butter is 20 to 25 years old. A quarter size steamer is around 8 years give or take.

Honestly I have little use for more than a half bucket to a full bucket depending on how many I'm feeding. 700 is just gouging because you can in my opinion. I wonder how many go bad to freezer burn or just aren't eaten because people got more than they could deal with. I like the idea of limiting butters similar to razors. 80 per person is seriously a lot of clams.

[QUOTE=TYBSP;1107047] What I call butters are the 2.5 inch at least in size and they are 700 per day. QUOTE]

Not Anymore. They are now 80 per day combined Butters and Little Necks.
    This is a link to the EO. Hopefullly this helps the clams out.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static-sf...hell_clams.pdf

Dave didn't you once say you had some -20* weather in Homer a few years ago during a minus tide that may at least be partly responsible for the decline? Seems plausible anyway.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

2012 regs show the 700. I read there were some changes they couldn't get to print soon enough. You would think limits would be reduced long ago. This seems like quite a knee jerk reaction though a needed one. The decline has been ongoing for some time.

However on any given tide I've been to chinapoot, I've only seen no more than three maybe four boats digging butters. I would think the decline has other factors besides harvest limits.

Got check those emergecy orders before you go......they changed the limit last year.

I see in this year's regulation booklet under Littleneck and Butter limits for Cook Inlet they put a note in red that says, "See special notice below"
    And the special notice is in red stating: SPECIAL NOTICE: The Alaska Board of Fisheries is scheduled to meet in March 2012 and will consider proposals tht potentially affect Cook Inlet, North Gulf Coast, and Prince William Sound shellfish fisheries. Any regulations resulting from that meeting will not make the printing deadline for this regulation summary. Please contact ADF&G offices in Anchorage (267-2218) or Homer (235-8191) for changes to shellfish regulations.

Seems pretty clear to me, but then I read the booklet.

Here's a link to the EO's. First one at the top of the page...