Thread: Carmacks to Dawson City rafting? Dawson City music festival...

Default Carmacks to Dawson City rafting? Dawson City music festival...

Ok, I realize both Carmacks and Dawson City are not in Alaska! But I am...

Has anybody rafted from Carmacks to Dawson City? I'm thinking of doing it with the hope of arriving in Dawson City for the D.C. Music Festival 2012.

I know Carmacks to Dawson city is quite popular for kayaking and canoeing, but I can't find much regarding rafting. I do know it's class 1, and maybe class 2 on the Five Finger Rapids, but other than that I can't find much info.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Keep to the right finger of the five finger rapids and you should have a fun trip. Scenery is nice if not spectacular and there are lots of good camping spots. Lots of river guides at Fireweed books in Whitehorse. I have one here somewhere. Can't find anything quickly it seems.

Found it....

Yukon River by Mike Rourke, Marsh Lake to Dawson City.ISBN 978-0-920655-21-4 1983 revised 2006 and available at Fireweed Books in Whitehorse. There are other guides too, but this is what I have. 191 pages. Good historical info, good maps, shows camps, ect, Good deal.

I was thinking about this trip last year and contacted the Dawson Chamber of Commerce. I spoke with a young woman who had just done the trip a few months ago. She was quite helpfull and had a couple of contacts that would shuttle our rig back to Dawson for us. It might be worth a call to the Chamber to help with some logistics...

Good luck
    Brian