Thread: valley

Default valley

when can i expect the valley streams to start breaking up and becoming fishable?
    hook, line, sinker, done.

Quote Originally Posted by fishak View Post
    when can i expect the valley streams to start breaking up and becoming fishable?
    Define valley streams. In the Palmer-Wasilla area all flowing waters close on April 15th for trout spawning in which is about the time they start to open +/- a week on a typical year. With the snow fall we have had this year I would expect later.

If I'm not mistaken the Parks Highway streams (Willow Creek north) typically open towards the first part of may.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    Define valley streams. In the Palmer-Wasilla area all flowing waters close on April 15th for trout spawning in which is about the time they start to open +/- a week on a typical year. With the snow fall we have had this year I would expect later.

If I'm not mistaken the Parks Highway streams (Willow Creek north) typically open towards the first part of may.
    im thinking willow creek and above. does that closure effect them too? how big of a window would i have to fish them before they wash out? thanks

I would say around the 10th of may would be a good bet this year.

I'd say its going to be hard to call until it thaws. With the snowfall this year there may be flooding, ice jams etc. that might hose up any good intention of fishing. You really need to read the regs for each river you might go to, their have been some changes implemented this year. Here is a link http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...egulations.pdf

Willow Creek drainage flowing waters (see map on page 26)
    From its mouth upstream to the Parks Highway:
    • This section is open to fishing for all species, including king salmon, January 1–June 20, June
    25–27, July 2–4. Daily limits for king salmon are: 20” or longer 1 per day/1 in possession,
    less than 20” 10 per day/10 in possession. Bag/possession limits for other species follow the
    general limits on page 25.
    • Fishing is not allowed from 11:00 pm-6:00 am, May 15–July 13.
    • This section is closed to all fishing June 21–24, June 28–July 1, and July 5–13.
    • Fishing from a boat for any species is prohibited in a portion of the Susitna River at the furthest
    downstream mouth of Willow Creek from May 1–July 13. The area closed to fishing from a boat
    is from an ADF&G marker located on the upstream bank, downstream approximately 300 yards
    to another ADF&G marker.
    • No retention of rainbow trout or Arctic grayling is allowed year-round, including all waters
    within a ˝-mile radius of its confluence with the Susitna River.
    • This section is open to fishing for all species (except king salmon) July 14–December 31.
    • In the Willow Creek drainage upstream from ADF&G markers ˝ mile upstream from its mouth,
    only one unbaited, single-hook, artificial lure is allowed year-round. The bag and possession
    limits for species other than king salmon, rainbow trout, and Arctic grayling follow the general
    limits on page 25.
    Upstream of the Parks Highway: closed for king salmon.
    • Only one unbaited, single hook, artificial lure is allowed year-round.
    • In Willow Creek from the Parks Highway bridge upstream to its confluence with Deception Creek,
    open season for all species except king salmon is year-round.
    • The Willow Creek drainage above Deception Creek and the Deception Creek drainage are
    closed year-round to fishing for salmon.
    • The Deception Creek drainage is closed to all fishing April 15–June 14.
    • In all of the Willow Creek drainage upstream of the Parks Highway, the bag limit for rainbow/
    steelhead trout is 1 per day/1 in possession—must be less than 16” long. From April 15–
    June 14, No retention of rainbow/steelhead trout is allowed.
    • In all of the Willow Creek drainage upstream of the Parks Highway, No retention of Arctic
    grayling is allowed.
    • In all of the Willow Creek drainage upstream of the Parks Highway, bag and possession limits
    for species except king

any updates?

as I posted in another thread, I am heading up a ways tomorrow afternoon, gonna look at little sue, willow and those on the parks highway, and see what there is to see. If I see even a slier of water I will fish it so we will see what happens....
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    as I posted in another thread, I am heading up a ways tomorrow afternoon, gonna look at little sue, willow and those on the parks highway, and see what there is to see. If I see even a slier of water I will fish it so we will see what happens....
    As I stated I am going with the 10th of may. Good luck to you I would bet there is some fishable water at the mouths of a creek or 2 to get a line in but not much else. It will be interesting to hear what you find.

posted a report on the fishing thread
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.