Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is a better rifle Tikka lite or win mod 70

Default what is a better rifle Tikka lite or win mod 70

looking to buy a new 300 wsm. But not sure if I should work on hunting down a winchester that I can seam to find or just get a tikka lite. I have one tikka and it shoots great but their are some minor thing I dont like about them. I would really like tofind a winchester but cant seam to find a new one in a 300 wsm. o ya it must be in stainless.
    thanks for the tips

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I have a rare (Unfired) "CUSTOM" Winchester Model 70 in .300 Rem. Ultra Mag. for sale. Stainless Classic.

The FN built extreme weather Model 70 rifles are really nice rifles.

it all depends on what you like, what you want, how you hunt and what kind of hunting you do - you cannot beat a Model 70 but those T3's are lightweight, consistently very accurate and smooth as a baby's behind - I have a T3 superlight SS fluted barrel from Cabela's and it just plain feels good (and so far it is telling me it's gonna be accurate) but be sure to buy a couple of extra magazines !

I think the M70 is a better design built with better materials. The tikka is cheaper built and cheaper feeling but certainly not functionally "cheap". As mentioned the tikka is smooth, accurate, reasonably priced and light.

I suggest just buying both!

I had a Tikka .300WSM...super smooth action, good trigger, sub MOA accurate.

My Tikka was so good I began to wonder why there's a Sako...
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

one of my huntin' buddies has a T3 SS in 300 WSM that absolutely drives tacks with 200 Accubonds and THAT has had me lying awake some nights wondering if I too should not own one of "those" (as he won't sell me his) for the ultimate elk rifle ...

I have a new model 70 in the extreme weather 300 win mag. I am very impressed with it. I looked at a T3 before I bought this one and know you cant beat a Winchester. I have a pre 64 model 70 in .270 and best shooting gun I have ever owned. The new model 70 may cost more but it was worth the cost I feel. One complaint I had about the T3 was the removable magazine. It is not flush with the bottom of the stock and it costs $100 if you lose it, which I'm sure lots of hunters have done. Overall quality seems much better with the Winchester as stated by others here already.

Just curious, on the Tikka magazine issue,.....

How the heck, does someone accidently pop one of those out and lose it in the field ??

Just as I keep hearing about it,... everyone worried about finding a spare somewhere, and the cost, etc.
    Are some of them really loosely latched or something ?
    Mine fits so perfect, unlatches with one hand easily, but clicks in so snug, I can't remotely imagine losing it in the field.
    Tho it isn't flush beneath the stock, fits in my carryin hand really well, doesn't seem like any kind of problem.

Maybe leavin it at the range bench, in the ultimate space moment,....I could see it, I guess
    (I did leave a scope adjustment cover laying on a bench once, actually found it the next day,
    under three fresh inches of snow..., right where I left it, heh heh)

But as a "Don't buy this rifle," issue,... what's the story, is anyone really having their's pop out, while walkin in the woods?
    Or is it just another, "Imagined, thing to worry about?"

My T-3 lite, is a stunning rifle, hard to imagine how they cost so little, just a Fine Piece
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I really like both of them as I've handled them both. Personally though, I have a big issue with short-action cartridges being chambered in rifles designed for 30-06 length cartridges. I think it's stooopid. Having handled the tikka in 30-06, that's a dang nice gun. Both CZ and Tikka do this. Whenever I've considered either of them, it's never been for a short action cartridge. I'd go the Winchester model 70 route.

I agree that the likelihood of losing a T3 magazine "accidentally" is pretty darn remote but the "ultimate space moment" isn't (for me anyway) and it goes for ANY rifle with a removable magazine, not only Tikka's - I sure haven't noticed that extra length in the bolt cycle with a T3 and I don't think I would suggest a heads up contest between any model 70 and a T3 for smoooooth feeding ... "every" gun has it's good points and "bad" points, every gun has it's thumbs-uppers and thumbs-downers ... that's just the way it is - I have purchased 7 magazines for my T3 .308's within the past 12 months and didn't pay more than $48 for any of 'em, ya just gotta keep yer lookers open

I have used old Tikka 55 .308 about 30 years and now few years T3 6,5x55. No magazines lost ever even in some very rought hunts. Both guns are extremenly reliable and very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I think the M70 is a better design built with better materials. The tikka is cheaper built and cheaper feeling but certainly not functionally "cheap". As mentioned the tikka is smooth, accurate, reasonably priced and light.

I suggest just buying both!
    A good comparison

(and then sell the one you dont like.)

I'm not certain, but I believe the Tikka WSM only holds 2 or 3 in the single stack magazine. From my experience, that's a bit anemic. On one particular occasion a couple years back, I had shot two into a running bear, and missed him on the third shot.

In a situation like that, I wouldn't appreciate an unloaded rifle. You can't "top off" the Tikka either, you have to drop the clip to replace the rounds. I appreciate bolt rifles that allow you to top off from above, after a rapid-fire event.

If you bypassed the WSM route, and went with a Model 70 in 30-06 or 308, you'd gain two extra cartridges in the magazine. This might be of importance if you're the kind of guy that travels with an unloaded chamber. A model 70 Extreme Weather SS in 30-06 is only 2 oz heavier than the same rifle in WSM, and the 30-06 model 70 comes with a shorter barrel; the overall length is much shorter because of this.

Another thing that would distinguish the Winchester over the Tikka, is the Bell & Carlson stock as opposed to the plastic one on the Tikka

Uh oh......in year 2012, I voiced preference in standard cartridges (and their inherent advantages) over a Short Magnum. I deserve any and all ridicule or scolding for this action.

Mariner I second that. The bell and Carlson stock is amazing. Model 70 all the way

the "observation" that the B&C stock is "wonderful" falls on skeptical ears here because I would own an Extreme Weather 70 if the stock didn't feel like a baseball bat to me (I much prefer the "feel" of the Coyote Lite stock) - the T3 stock isn't "plastic", it's a carbon fiber mixture much the same as ANY synthetic stock other than the hand laid fiberglass or Kevlar mixes and - I've handled and worked on a number of T3 stocks and rifles and seen far fewer flaws than in the Bell & Carlson stocks I've encountered (or ordered from them) If one were to check SAKO stats it would be noticed that Tikka's outsell AND outperform their Sako brethren, much to the consternation of the SAKO execs

They outsell Sako because of their price, not quality. T3 seem nice, just not for me

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    (I much prefer the "feel" of the Coyote Lite stock) - the T3 stock isn't "plastic", it's a carbon fiber mixture much the same as ANY synthetic stock

I'm doubtful the Synthetic Tikka Stocks are a mixture of carbon fiber. In your world, does polypropylene qualify as a plastic, even if it's reinforced with a bit of cheap fiberglass chopped fiber? I'd agree with you that they are indeed like most synthetic stocks, but I'd add the word "cheap" in there to boot.

I've always wondered how much it costs a company to mix up a bunch of chopped fiberglass with tupperware/polyproplene plastic, and inject it into a mold. It does make good food containers though.

Though Bell and Carlson stocks may not be at the caliber of something like a McMillan, most folks who have one on their rifles can distinguish it's difference from the common tupper-fare.

This is quoted from their website, am I missing something about carbon fiber and "not plastic"? :

STOCK

" glass fiber reinforced copolymer polypropylene featuring palm swell. Butt plate system with spacers provide adjustability in length of pull. Carefully designed checkered patterns on grip areas for added comfort and firm grip. Sling swivels as standard."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast