Thread: Live Birds

Default Live Birds

Where can you obtain live birds. Ducks would be nice but I am sure they are a little pricey -- was thinking of pigeons to start with .... maybe even put up a pen and raise them so I always have a supply. The pup is more than ready.

What does everyone do about this.

Not a lot of breeders in the state. I'd recommend putting an ad up on craigslist in the farm section. I know a few folks that raise pigeons and quail that are always keeping an eye in that section. Good luck with your pup.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Pigeons are a good place to start, fairly durable, inexpensive, and pretty easy to keep. In years past I'd go get permission to crawl in attics to remove them, or place live traps on roofs or other areas that could not be bothered. If you catch more than you can use, they do have value to other trainers. All birds are dirty when kept, pigeons no exception to that. You just have to find somebody that thinks they are a pest and you'll have a deal.
    I remember one year we had permission from a property owner to go in an attic in a downtown building. It was an old house that had been converted into offices, and the pigeons were making a mess. Somebody saw us enter the attic, thought it was a deed going wrong, called the PoPo, and the place was surrounded. When I stuck my head out the attic vent to see what the commotion was we were on the wrong end of a bunch of focus. One of the guys I knew and called him by name. Things relaxed a bit.
    We came out and told them what was up, who gave us permission, and all was well. Interesting thing, the renter was SPCA and the guys wife, who was an animal lover, did not know we were there pulling pigeons. Oops.
    Just drive around downtown and knock on doors. Best time is first am or evening when they fly to roost. Better get them know or they'll be laying eggs and hatching young soon. You don't want to abaondon chicks in somebodies attic to die.
    ARR

hmmmmmm-- my last post did not make it so here we go again

Thanks all-- and does anyone have a pigeon trap they want to part with.

For pigeons I used a fishing net and bird seed. If they are used to being fed just throw the stuff next to the net and drop the net on them. Pretty easy. Have a kennel ready to put hem in. I spray them with bug spray for pets to get any thing bad off them.