Thread: Fire:Bow & Drill Method

Default Fire:Bow & Drill Method

Since we are all Alaskans we are all epic...but some time ago I tried that fire bow thin with a broken clothes hanger as the bow...pencil as the spindal...and a block of dry spruce wood for the fireboard...i tried with the writting end...but then i switched to the metal eraser end...what happened is the metal actually melted before fire started...has anyone here started fire with out matches? How do I do this sucsessfully with the firebow?

I havent done it in years but more than once Ive found myself whittling a fire board and stick/bow

A bow with a couple winds around a long smooth dry stick as staright as you can get, with rounded ends.

Split dry wood and shave yourself a board. A flat board with a notch cut into the edge and a socket with the notch ending in its center. This notch is to hold the dry stick your gonna furiously twirl by whipping your bow stick back and forth. You will also need a hand hold to hold an dapply downward pressure on the stick your twirling, also with a socket to hold the top end of the twirling stick.

Then you need finely sredded tinder, if fine silk cotton grass thats ben scortched ,or burnt grass or burnt shaveings, but unburnt will do, just not as easy to make the spark catch.
    Anyway place your tender below the notch cut into the board with socket, insert dry straight stick with rounded ends, hold in place with said top hand board and start twirling.

When you figure out how much pressure to apppply and how strong to stroke and get up a rythem, you will find lots of smoke wafting from the notched lower board. There will be some very hot wood dust dropping onto your tinder placed below the board. You get up some smoke and remove the tinder quickly puffing and stedly blowing the ember untill a flame lights, and set the rest of your tender afire. "

Fire!! Hee hee he he he hehheeehehehhe.....

Then the Meat you Hunted that day can be cooked and you can prepare a tinder for next time, itll be much easier each time after.

Practise practise practise...
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Make sure the spindle isn't too big or you won't get the spindle speed you want (no thicker than your thumb). Also there are some tricks like using your shoes with the laces tied at the top of the spindle instead of a bow that work good. Wood selection for your bow and drill are essential too. Willow works great. The wood can't be too hard or pitchy, or too soft and punky. About like willow is perfect. Good tinder is essential and good construction matters (though there are many techniques that work). The bit needs to be well rounded and the top end fairly pointed, with appropriate receptacles for each end. Lube the top end with oil from your face or ear wax (or whatever you have) so it spins better with less friction on the top. Cut a good notch in your fire board but not too big or your spindle will slip out. Too small and it will be hard to get enough debris to make a coal. The pith of devils club makes awesome tinder dry or wet (dry devils club burns like nobodies business) best I've found around here. There are lot's of great websites including Youtube that illustrate various techniques.

One thing is for sure, once you learn, you'll never forget your lighter!
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Kingfisher invented the whole fire thing so maybe he will reply.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by RainGull View Post
    Make sure the spindle isn't too big or you won't get the spindle speed you want (no thicker than your thumb). Also there are some tricks like using your shoes with the laces tied at the top of the spindle instead of a bow that work good. Wood selection for your bow and drill are essential too. Willow works great. The wood can't be too hard or pitchy, or too soft and punky. About like willow is perfect. Good tinder is essential and good construction matters (though there are many techniques that work). The bit needs to be well rounded and the top end fairly pointed, with appropriate receptacles for each end. Lube the top end with oil from your face or ear wax (or whatever you have) so it spins better with less friction on the top. Cut a good notch in your fire board but not too big or your spindle will slip out. Too small and it will be hard to get enough debris to make a coal. The pith of devils club makes awesome tinder dry or wet (dry devils club burns like nobodies business) best I've found around here. There are lot's of great websites including Youtube that illustrate various techniques.

One thing is for sure, once you learn, you'll never forget your lighter!
    Very good answer Thank you for your information!

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    I havent done it in years but more than once Ive found myself whittling a fire board and stick/bow

A bow with a couple winds around a long smooth dry stick as staright as you can get, with rounded ends.

Split dry wood and shave yourself a board. A flat board with a notch cut into the edge and a socket with the notch ending in its center. This notch is to hold the dry stick your gonna furiously twirl by whipping your bow stick back and forth. You will also need a hand hold to hold an dapply downward pressure on the stick your twirling, also with a socket to hold the top end of the twirling stick.

Then you need finely sredded tinder, if fine silk cotton grass thats ben scortched ,or burnt grass or burnt shaveings, but unburnt will do, just not as easy to make the spark catch.
    Anyway place your tender below the notch cut into the board with socket, insert dry straight stick with rounded ends, hold in place with said top hand board and start twirling.

When you figure out how much pressure to apppply and how strong to stroke and get up a rythem, you will find lots of smoke wafting from the notched lower board. There will be some very hot wood dust dropping onto your tinder placed below the board. You get up some smoke and remove the tinder quickly puffing and stedly blowing the ember untill a flame lights, and set the rest of your tender afire. "

Fire!! Hee hee he he he hehheeehehehhe.....

Then the Meat you Hunted that day can be cooked and you can prepare a tinder for next time, itll be much easier each time after.

Practise practise practise...
    Thanks man