Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose hunt without an ATV

Default Moose hunt without an ATV

So this will be my first year hunting a moose and I am not sure if I will be able to afford an ATV this year. I mean its not like a deer that I can just pack it out. So my question if I get lucky enough to get one, is it really feasible for someone to go get a moose without one? The boss AKA my wife wants to know what do people who don't have one do they do. So.........

That's the only way I've done if for almost 30 years. And yes, you still can pack it out, just one part at a time......

Don't shoot one farther away from the road than you feel comfortable packing out.

A coworkers FIL and his buddy (both in their late 60's) can pack a moose out about 3 miles on decent foot trails. They are both NFL line-backer sized old men. Still more fit than men half their age. They are also very picky about where they go and what they shoot.

One clue about ATVs and hunting. They go far and fast to get away from the road. In doing so they don't take the time to hunt along the way passing by animals that don't spook. Hang back and watch an area after ATVs move through. A heavyily used ATV area might not hold animals due to the daily grind, but a lesser hit area might hold a few animals.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Don't shoot one farther away from the road than you feel comfortable packing out.

A coworkers FIL and his buddy (both in their late 60's) can pack a moose out about 3 miles on decent foot trails. They are both NFL line-backer sized old men. Still more fit than men half their age. They are also very picky about where they go and what they shoot.

One clue about ATVs and hunting. They go far and fast to get away from the road. In doing so they don't take the time to hunt along the way passing by animals that don't spook. Hang back and watch an area after ATVs move through. A heavyily used ATV area might not hold animals due to the daily grind, but a lesser hit area might hold a few animals.

Thanks for the tip, truthfully kinda was hoping that I get a legal one on my property.

yep...just be picky about where you drop one. Which is pretty good advice even with an ATV come to think of it. A good packframe and stout boots will still get it done.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

atv's are just a tool to help in some hunts but they are not the only tool. My feet get me into places an atv could never go.... just be comfortable with the reality of what it takes to pack out a moose and let that dictate how far you choose to hike and harvest...

Hunting in a group of 4 or 5 helps. We shot a bull moose about 3 miles off the road in the mountains of Alberta, granted it was different countryside, fairly steep but firm walking with no muskeg. It wasn't a huge moose and we made it out in one trip with about 100 lbs each on our backs. We boned it out in the field. I think if it were a really big moose you could do it with a group of 4 in two trips.

Search for a recent thread about moose hunting solo. Between factual arguments and experiences that people posted, it's definitely possible but definitely a giant pain and requires a lot of planning ahead. You and someone else should be able to do it depending on how far from the road, whether you're camping overnight etc... It's a good sign that you are planning ahead this far. I'd say if you dont have an ATV, find a rock-solid reliable partner without back or knee problems and get together to plan at least 2 months ahead of time. Make checklists. That revolutionized my experience with my go-to hunting partner. Checklists, checklists, checklists. Think of every ridiculous outcome and make a plan for it.

Moose quarters are comparable to shingles and I've hauled a lot of them in my day. Definitely do-able.

Welcome to the Great Land, kantill. We should get together one of the times when I'm in Sutton this summer. I'll buy
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Yeah, I would dread taking a moose alone, even with my King Quad. Two people makes it an enjoyable experience.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by kantill View Post
    So this will be my first year hunting a moose and I am not sure if I will be able to afford an ATV this year. I mean its not like a deer that I can just pack it out. So my question if I get lucky enough to get one, is it really feasible for someone to go get a moose without one? The boss AKA my wife wants to know what do people who don't have one do they do. So.........
    Check out the State of Alaska Moose Management reports. Example: Table 7 (moose harvest percent by transport method for successful hunters) for unit 13 (yr 2008-2009) shows 12 moose were taken by hunters using highway vehicles versus 56 percent were taken by those using 3 or 4 wheelers.

From my own experiences and others success, I would say that it's feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by northernalberta View Post
    Hunting in a group of 4 or 5 helps. We shot a bull moose about 3 miles off the road in the mountains of Alberta, granted it was different countryside, fairly steep but firm walking with no muskeg. It wasn't a huge moose and we made it out in one trip with about 100 lbs each on our backs. We boned it out in the field. I think if it were a really big moose you could do it with a group of 4 in two trips.
    The issue is I really don't know four guys to go hunting with, I might have one but not four.

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    Search for a recent thread about moose hunting solo. Between factual arguments and experiences that people posted, it's definitely possible but definitely a giant pain and requires a lot of planning ahead. You and someone else should be able to do it depending on how far from the road, whether you're camping overnight etc... It's a good sign that you are planning ahead this far. I'd say if you dont have an ATV, find a rock-solid reliable partner without back or knee problems and get together to plan at least 2 months ahead of time. Make checklists. That revolutionized my experience with my go-to hunting partner. Checklists, checklists, checklists. Think of every ridiculous outcome and make a plan for it.

Moose quarters are comparable to shingles and I've hauled a lot of them in my day. Definitely do-able.

Welcome to the Great Land, kantill. We should get together one of the times when I'm in Sutton this summer. I'll buy
    Sure let me know

The issue is I really don't know four guys to go hunting with, I might have one but not four.
    IMO - that's a good thing... as with more people ... someone would probably drop one in a swamp (thinking they had all this help) and forget they had walked 2-3 miles through swamp after the thing.

I have a 4 wheeler but still spend most of my time off it and on my boots. An old timer shared a rule of thumb with me long before I got my wheeler, "one man, one moose, one mile, one day". He was right. One mile is about as far as one man can pack a moose in one day. Some can make more than a mile, some cannot, but packing a moose on one's back is entirely doable. Just be prepared for the job. Good luck.

Mart

Default Someone will help

Plan ahead and line up some buddies to help pack one out. I'm sure there are many that would be willing to help for a small meat donation; I know I would. There's always the chance that someone may be willing to loan you an ATV as well.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

That's the beauty of this forum. I have already met & gone hunting with one fellow on here. Looking forward to meeting more. I think one thing they could do with the forum is have a "need a partner" thread or something where you annouce the dates/times/location and other people with the same dates available could possibly join you. I would be open to helping any of you drag a moose out in exchange for a small portion of the meat.

Definitely do-able (been there, done that, have the t-shirt), but like they said, it sure is nice to have friends.
    AK Ray is right, I wouldn't go more than a mile off the road on foot. out of sight of the road hunters and before the area the ATVs are headed for leaves a lot of ground.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Quote Originally Posted by northernalberta View Post
    That's the beauty of this forum. I have already met & gone hunting with one fellow on here. Looking forward to meeting more. I think one thing they could do with the forum is have a "need a partner" thread or something where you annouce the dates/times/location and other people with the same dates available could possibly join you. I would be open to helping any of you drag a moose out in exchange for a small portion of the meat.
    Yeah the hunting forum I was a mod on back in Washington we had an section that people could post for partners needed.

To me, going moose hunting without a wheeler would be like going on a float hunt without a boat. We use them to get camp out there and bring meat back in, primarily; we're not ripping around all day, we're walking or sitting. Camp supplies usually get into the hundreds of pounds, and it's nine nine miles from the road. We've had the same machines since the mid-90s, and used 'em to bring in meat more years than not, sometimes several animals per season(there can be anywhere from 4-12 people filtering through camp in any one year). Definitely paid for themselves many times over!
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I like the comparison of moose quarters like bags of shingles, true for the fronts on a small moose but the hind quarter on a big bull might go 250 or more bones in. The one hind quarter on my 45 inch bull last fall was about twice what I could handle. I'll go far for sheep, not quite so far for caribou, and if I can't get my 4 wheeler to it I won't even consider it for moose. That's just a lot of work. A moose on the ground is a "ton of dead weight" literally.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast