Thread: Anchorage Creeks, mainly Ship Ck?

Default Anchorage Creeks, mainly Ship Ck?

I noticed some of the creeks around town are starting to open up. Does anybody have much luck for anything this early in the year? I hear Chester used to be really good in late April and through May, but this was before they started closing it down in April.
    Does Ship Creek still produce through out the winter like it used to when the power plant was still working? I remember when I lived on base seeing cars parked down by Reeve blvd. and seeing some fellas fishing in the dead of winter.

Just got new waders in today and I'm itchin to use them! .

I've fished Ship in the spring in years past with no success. I've walked from Reeve all the way to the dam and never seen a thing. Seems when they shut the power plant down it killed off most of what was in there. One thing I would love to see happen is the dam by Reeve removed so the salmon have a chance to get to the upper reaches of the creek to spawn. Or at least a fish ladder put in. I think it would vastly improve that fishery. Put some trout in there to establish a self sustaining population. I've also fished it when the salmon are in with no luck. I know there's dollies in there when the salmon are in.

I've also fished Campbell when the salmon are in for trout and dollies with limited success. Never early in the spring. Chester can be good for dollies. Both creeks are very dirty right now from the runoff though.

If you're looking to wet a line with a chance at a fish I would suggest heading south to Cooper Landing and fish the bridge. That or steelhead on the Kasilof once it breaks up.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Yep found the same thing today. Caught some trout in the summer there a number of years ago, but thats when the plant was still running. Lots of fishy lookin water, but not a **** thing.

Also tried on base near the culvert between the 6 mile lakes.
    Thought of running down to Cooper Landing, but with gas the way it is, i'll wait a little longer to make the drive, when the fish are a bit more active.