Thread: Prop pitch for freighter canoe

Default Prop pitch for freighter canoe

I recently bought an old 20' aluminum freighter, pretty similar in design to the Scott HB. Right now I'm in the process of buying a Honda BF20 for it.
    I'd like to have an extra propeller for long trips just in case something goes sideways. The prop that comes on the motor is a 4 blade and I have the understanding that this prop is designed to be used for heavy loads or as a kicker on large boats. I'm thinking about using this stock propeller as the spare and buying one more suited to freighter canoe applications to use as my main prop.

My question is this: what pitch do you guys use on your outboards for you HBs and other comparable freighters?
    I'm thinking that I would want to go with a three blade with a higher pitch (10" or 11") because I don't think I'd need as much thrust on a canoe. Is this thinking reasonable?

Thanks

Supporting Member

canishunter22-250 ...

I'd sure like to hear more about the "old aluminum freighter, pretty similar to the Scott HB." I haven't been able to find such a canoe in aluminum. Is there a manufacturer's ID plate? And is it actually 20'? Further, how wide is the transom, and how wide at the gunwales. Right now I'd label this a mystery ship.

I have no idea as to the optimal pitch ... I'd start with the stock prop ... they're usually matched to the motor. What is your intended use, in what conditions? We'd have to identify the canoe and it's spec.s to determine if the Honda 20 is the right motor or is too large/heavy. See what you can find out for us. Some of us have been looking for a 20'+ Hudson Bay clone in aluminum, and been unable to find anything close. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    canishunter22-250 ...

I'd sure like to hear more about the "old aluminum freighter, pretty similar to the Scott HB." I haven't been able to find such a canoe in aluminum. Is there a manufacturer's ID plate? And is it actually 20'? Further, how wide is the transom, and how wide at the gunwales. Right now I'd label this a mystery ship.

I have no idea as to the optimal pitch ... I'd start with the stock prop ... they're usually matched to the motor. What is your intended use, in what conditions? We'd have to identify the canoe and it's spec.s to determine if the Honda 20 is the right motor or is too large/heavy. See what you can find out for us. Some of us have been looking for a 20'+ Hudson Bay clone in aluminum, and been unable to find anything close. Thanks.
    I bought it off a guy in Saskatchewan who claimed it was made in 1970, and said the brand was Princeville. I have tried to find out any information about it myself and haven't come up with anything. I measured it, and it's exactly 20' long and has a 48" beam.
    Here is a video of me using it with an old 15hp 2stroke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8BHp...ature=youtu.be

I'd love to hear if anyone knows anything more than me about it.

Default Nice

Quote Originally Posted by canishunter22-250 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8BHp...ature=youtu.be

I'd love to hear if anyone knows anything more than me about it.
    I've never seen an aluminum freighter that long, or with that large of a transom; nice!

Looks like spray rails might be a good next step, especially with you stepping up the motor size.

Post more pics/vids with the new motor; I'd love to see more.
    Dear whatever doesn't kill me, I'm strong enough now. Thanks.

Supporting Member

The transom appears to be, perhaps, 16"-18" wide, at most, but it seems to move quite nicely with the 15 hp. Nice boat.

amazing what is out there... more pics please

PROP PITCH you should see how what you have handles with your load, you just might be happy with it, if not then look for a 3 blade, more or less pitch, don't get caught up with the pitch or how fast you go, use what you got an them inprove if not happy,
    PS wish I had your 20 FT an not the 19 I have
    my 2 cts
    SID

Default More pics

Here's a few more pics of my canoe for those who are interested.

I got this one from the previous owner. Taken in the '70s. He said this load was 1800 lbs.

Here's what the canoe looked like when I got it this winter. I tried to spiff it up a bit and tailor it to my needs a little more. I took out one of the seats and the floatation block from the front (figured if I swamp this thing in a river, a couple of pieces of styrafoam aren't going to save the boat anyways, so may as well use the room for something more useful) to make more room for hauling gear.

Default love it

I love the 70s pic of the 1800# load. I thought I was the only one that loaded a canoe that high and long.

How wide is your transom? I've never seen a transom on an aluminum canoe wider than about 14 or so inches; and surely you've got that beat.

Wonderful craft.
    Dear whatever doesn't kill me, I'm strong enough now. Thanks.

i dont know much about the aluminum boat building process . is that a one off design? if a manf. tooled up for production there would be more around. can you just get that shape by hammering it out?