Thread: Floating lodge/cabin

Default Floating lodge/cabin

Been dreaming today. Came up on this website. Wouldn't it be nice to have one of these to anchor up in PWS in a nice protected bay like at Disk Island or Knight Island, or Hidden Bay to be able to come back to everyday after a day of fishing or hunting. http://www.metro-ship.com/ Not a bad price but I'm sure shipping would be a bear to Alaska.

Yes they are nice, but a bit too impractical for Alaskan conditions. Don't think they can handle much chop, much less any heavier seas. But if I could get one into the bay at Disk, I would probably live there forever...!!!......lol

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Yes they are nice, but a bit too impractical for Alaskan conditions. Don't think they can handle much chop, much less any heavier seas. But if I could get one into the bay at Disk, I would probably live there forever...!!!......lol
    I agree that there is no way besides a flat calm day I would dare take it out to sea but it would make one heck of a nice floating cabin to moor up some place in protected seas like Disk, Copper Bay. or Taz Basin out of Seward. I'm sure a guy puts 4 of those in any one of those locations and they would pay for them selves if you had the time to keep a close eye on them so they dont get broken into or messed with. IMO they would be much easier to move arround then one of the cabins built on floats. I looked hard at the one for sale on CL a few years ago for 25000. It was homebuilt. You put a rain catcher up on the roof to collect fresh water so all you have to do is worry about black water for dumping. Sounds like a great retirement bussiness/Investment with no land to buy.

A couple years back there was a 24' pontoon boat all tarped up tucked back in a bay on the south side of Knight Island. It was anchored up in a bay, hard top, all tarped around the outside. Don't know any more than that. We cruised by to check it out.
    BK

I wonder what law there is that prevents people from doing that. I am sure there is one somewhere. It would be a bummer to go to all of that work and then find out you had to move it somewhere else.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    I wonder what law there is that prevents people from doing that. I am sure there is one somewhere. It would be a bummer to go to all of that work and then find out you had to move it somewhere else.

The one on CL a few years ago for 25G was tucked into a bay out of seward and stayed there from spring to fall I believe. They would just commute with a boat or float plane. I want to say it was in Puget Bay, but I really can't remember. I never went to see it. I don't think there is a law you can't do it as long as you register it as a boat and keep it current.

I think once you started charging for use a whole ball of government busy bodies would have their hands out wanting to make you buy permits and pay for inspections, then the greenies would file complaints that it ruins there wilderness experience, the forest service already is always busting the setnetters balls for their tents and cabins in Main Bay even though the setnetters have been there way before any of those do gooders had those jobs. I've got to stop cause the more i think about stuff like this the more i hate government!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I think once you started charging for use a whole ball of government busy bodies would have their hands out wanting to make you buy permits and pay for inspections, then the greenies would file complaints that it ruins there wilderness experience, the forest service already is always busting the setnetters balls for their tents and cabins in Main Bay even though the setnetters have been there way before any of those do gooders had those jobs. I've got to stop cause the more i think about stuff like this the more i hate government!!
    Tell us what you really think, Steve. You would have had fun up here when the d2 lands were set aside and all the brown shirts came up thinking they owned the place - oh, wait! They still act that way.

Back on the subject, there was a floating lodge off Dangerous Passage in Paddy Bay a number of years ago. I don't know if he's still there or how he arranged it.

There is a floating cabin out in Port Fidalgo and that is a good run out of Valdez. It is tucked away in a nice protected area and I have yet to see anyone at it.