Thread: Recommended Rides?

Default Recommended Rides?

Any recommended rides for a newby ATVer? Close to Anchorage? Far from Anchorage? For spring /summer conditions. I'm curious how big of a list we can compile... and then me ride every single one of them

Thanks

Knik Glacier and Eklutna will be about the most open to ridin. Many over trails near Anchorage are gonna need more time before they are passable considering our heavy snow fall.

Higher elevation places outside of Wasilla are usually good late may but I have turned around due to snow as late as June.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Jim creek(knik) is where I started to learn to ride. Wide open and plenty of room to avoid people if that's what you'd like when learning. As well as a variety of terrain for you to get used to and have fun.

Bird creek is another one close to anchorage. Nice easy trail, short, but easy enough to where I would take newbies. Snow level there is around two feet still(says the snowmachine trail report). Keep in mind, I would not recommend riding here while the salmon are in Bird Creek as for it is a narrow valley with a rather dense bear population.

Your best bet would probably be knik for the earliest riding.

Boulder Creek, Petersville, Eureka, Swede Lake trail and lots of ones in between.
    Enjoy you rides and ask lots of questions. More then likely we have all messed up in the past and can shed light on what not to do.

Any others? My list is pretty short right now

Not much within 45 minutes out of Anchorage. Especially nothing that's gonna be doable with the snow we have.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

There are enough rides between Anchorage and Eureka to keep you busy for a full summer I think.

-Eklutna lake- easy, slow trail ride. Only open on certain days of the week to motorized access.
    -Jim Creek/KRPUA - Kind of the "back yard" of riding for many of us- a place to go for all day fun and not too far out. Ride the dunes or ride back to the glacier. Everything from sand to mud to ice. Usually can ride there year round, the wind blows the snow out. This winter was an exception.
    -Buffalo Mine - easy trail riding, for the most part.
    -Jonesville Mine to Eska falls- more technical riding with some steep ascents, off camber stuff. Nice ride back to the falls.
    -Kings River- A little bit of technical stuff with some off-camber and boulder crawling, but mostly the trail is wide and easy.
    -Permanente- About the same as Kings River, mostly easy with a bit of technical stuff.
    -Purington/Boulder Creek- This can be a one day or multi-day adventure. Once you gain access to the Boulder Creek area, there are multiple valleys to explore. Mudholes year round, some boulder crawling.
    -Pinochle- IMO, this is one of the more technical rides. There is a serious hill at Hicks Creek that can sometimes require winching up and down. The mudholes are deep and endless back to the river and this trip can be utterly exhausting but also very rewarding.
    -Beringer Pass- Nice alpine riding, not very technical, can ride back over to the end of Pinochle if you can find the trail.
    -Eureka- Miles and miles of trails for days and days of fun. Mostly non-technical with the exception of some river crossings and the occasional steep hill. Ending the day with a Eureka burger and fries cannot be discounted, either.

On the other side of the highway there are several trails in Hatchers Pass that can be pretty fun, there's the B29 trail in Palmer, and also trails up in Petersville and Cantwell.

Check out the Alaska ATV Club's forum- you might need to register to see it but registration is free. They have detailed descriptions of most of the trails I listed. Also, my album here at AOD has pictures of a lot of the trails.

Recommend you make some riding buddies here- it's good to go with people that know the way and also have some experience. Whatever ATV you have, you should have 4WD, a winch and good tires. Wear a brain bucket. Carry basic tools and tire repair kit.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

I'm looking for post snow melt... and a drive is not a problem. What rides are you thinking about TWB?

Thanks Dee. I tried to rep you but apparently you were the last person I rep'd and it's not allowing me to hit you again until I rep someone else.

You might try going to the Matsu ATV club website , that is where you will find people who actually ride together each weekend in the summertime. You can just rep me first then Dee !!!!