Thread: .17 Hornet

Default .17 Hornet

Has anyone been able to find any information on the availability of Savage model 25's in .17 Hornet? I have been looking all over the internet, and can't seem to find any real info besides the fact that they are releasing this particular rifle this year. Checked galleryofguns.com and there seems to be no availability. Any suggestions or insight?

I've been looking for one as well....also heard that Ruger would be releasing the 77/22 Hornet with the .17 Hornet chamber which honestly interests me more than the homely Savage M25.

Pretty interesting cartridge and in the light varmint/ fur gun category the .22 Hornet is one of my favorites. The .17 Hornet should be ideal for fox and lynx called in.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

It's good to hear that Ruger is also going to go for it. Pencil head entrance wound and no exit wound from what i hear, you're right could be the "perfect" fur gun for calling.

One of those ruger 17 hornets ought to be just the ticket for fox/cats/coyotes but I think it would be a tad light for wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebear_78 View Post
    One of those ruger 17 hornets ought to be just the ticket for fox/cats/coyotes but I think it would be a tad light for wolves.
    I'm thinking it would be light for wolves and perhaps a little light for coyote at longer ranges.

I have more issues with tearing up foxes and lynx up close than getting shots at wolves at distance in my area.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

out to 250-300 yards I don't think there is a coyote out there that could stand up to this little round. Its not intended for a long, 300+ yard, varminter. Just a really cool mid range shooter. I would wager that most predators are called in to under 150 yards than are shot beyond that.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebear_78 View Post
    I would wager that most predators are called in to under 150 yards than are shot beyond that.
    I totally agree...I've never been calling and got critters at 300+....usually well under 100yds and I'm betting the .17H would do great on critters up to coyote out to that far. Not tearing up fur is pretty important to me and this round looks ideal for it.

It will be an excellent pelt gathering round. I have been using the 17AH and 17M4 loaded down for years and there is nothing better. A handloaders dream, and hopefully Hornady will offer its 25g HP in a factory load and not just the Vamaxs.

Also great news, CZ will be jumping on board as well for us Non Ruger Non Savage types. I will have to scoop one up to replace my 17AH contender barrel I suppose.