Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun boot mount

Default Gun boot mount

I'm looking to add a gun boot mount to my new Grizzly. I've seen a few different styles out there and was wanting to get some reviews on the different ones. I'd like to get one that has a tight fit and doesn't rattle around while on the trails. Any of you guys prefer one style over another? I'm leaning towards the one that has a sleeve that the boot slides in to.

I have one of the Kolpin sleeve style (Boottector) mounted on the front rack of my Grizzly for easier access. Mounted on the rear rack, it either gets in the way of your right leg or the boot hits the fender. On the front you can reach the gun without having to get off and walk around to the rear.

http://www.kolpinpowersports.com/pro...r-bracket.html

Quote Originally Posted by MORSNO View Post
    I have one of the Kolpin sleeve style (Boottector) mounted on the front rack of my Grizzly for easier access. Mounted on the rear rack, it either gets in the way of your right leg or the boot hits the fender. On the front you can reach the gun without having to get off and walk around to the rear.

I have one too.....would like to see how you have it mounted on the front rack for easier access......if possible?

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I have one too.....would like to see how you have it mounted on the front rack for easier access......if possible?
    Sure, let me know if you want any other angles.

Wow thats a strange setup with it on the front. Looks like it adds another 3 feet to your machine. IF you hit something looks like thats the first thing to get ripped off.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Wow thats a strange setup with it on the front. Looks like it adds another 3 feet to your machine. IF you hit something looks like thats the first thing to get ripped off.
    I have yet to have an issue with it sticking out the front, it rides plenty high to clear anything on the trail. It also allows you free movement on the ATV and not trapping you in on the right side. To each his own.

I've used the Kolpin gun boot and mount on 2 different wheelers and 2 different snogos with no complaints. Sometimes I attach a bungee or rafting strap through the handle or on the barrel section of the boot to the machine to reduce the jarring on rough trails. The boot fits tight to the machine and doesn't stick out beyond the tires - of course you can mount it many different ways.

http://www.kolpinpowersports.com/pro...v-impacta.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sure, let me know if you want any other angles.
    Thanks. That does look pretty convenient. I see my mounting bracket (gift from my wife) is different than yours so it may not work like that. I'll check it out. Other than the setup you have on the front rack, I've almost resigned myself to the fact that I may only use mine for long travel times, and just use the regular rifle holders on the front while hunting around here from the rig.

wow
    jp gots some nice hunting partners
    I bet they dont say anything if some ashes fall on there steak

MORSNO, Does that mount stay pretty tight when on the trail? I've heard reports of that one loosening up.

Quote Originally Posted by bravodelta View Post
    MORSNO, Does that mount stay pretty tight when on the trail? I've heard reports of that one loosening up.
    It stays tight, the threads are pretty fine on the nut/wheel for adjusting the bracket angle, I can't imagine it loosening up if tightened normally (I've never cranked it tight).

I got rid of my mount and now just strap the case to my storage seat straight across (where a person would sit if riding two) so I can pop the cap off the end and pull the gun out on the side I dismount from most often. Its much quieter, no wider, more secure and less likely to get grabbed on a huge rock etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    I've used the Kolpin gun boot and mount on 2 different wheelers and 2 different snogos with no complaints. Sometimes I attach a bungee or rafting strap through the handle or on the barrel section of the boot to the machine to reduce the jarring on rough trails. The boot fits tight to the machine and doesn't stick out beyond the tires - of course you can mount it many different ways.

http://www.kolpinpowersports.com/pro...v-impacta.html
    LIKE... good to see each lab color represented

I'll 2nd the boottector though I keep it mounted on the rear. I've tried several mounts and this one I've found to be the most secure. I normally just leave the butt end of the case at camp which leaves my stock sticking a short ways out of the case for quick access from the seat.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Default Kolpin on the side

That's exactly where my Kolpin is mounted on my Grizzly. I posted one picture on here and got some heat about how dumb that was, since the first time I rolled her, it'd bust off.

I'm hoping I'm past my ATV-rolling days, myself...

Mine is still there and no problems, years later, though I will admit to coming close to rolling her forward once, which would have certainly busted the gun off if I had it mounted on my front rack.... So where the heck is it safe? I don't like it on my back for so many miles.

Dear whatever doesn't kill me, I'm strong enough now. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    That's exactly where my Kolpin is mounted on my Grizzly. I posted one picture on here and got some heat about how dumb that was, since the first time I rolled her, it'd bust off.

I'm hoping I'm past my ATV-rolling days, myself...

Mine is still there and no problems, years later, though I will admit to coming close to rolling her forward once, which would have certainly busted the gun off if I had it mounted on my front rack.... So where the heck is it safe? I don't like it on my back for so many miles.
    Ya, there is no perfect place, they break off the rear when rolled also.

Note to self; Keep the rubber side down!

Ya, there is no perfect place, they break off the rear when rolled also.

Note to self; Keep the rubber side down!
    I agree, I doubt there is any safe place. If you have it mounted on the left you better hope you roll it on the right.....lol

Default use the winch!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I agree, I doubt there is any safe place. If you have it mounted on the left you better hope you roll it on the right.....lol
    4mer, morsno, yeah, that's why I still haven't moved mine. And so far, my Grizzly's rubber has always faced down.

Though there was a time a couple of years back, while towing out a fellow-member's buddy's ATV, that I almost flipped it back up onto me. Going up a 30+ degree slope (climbing 100 feet vertical) pulling a dead Can Am with rider is bad stuff. I had all four ITP mudlites spinning and smoking on a dry trail and me at a standstill with my nose glued to the front rack, and still I almost did a backflip. I should have winched myself up that...
    Dear whatever doesn't kill me, I'm strong enough now. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    And so far, my Grizzly's rubber has always faced down.
    Me too....but careful now......we don't wannna jinx ourselves.........lol

So good read so far. Personally I have found that no matter where I mount the boot it seems to get in the way of lashing packs,camp gear,meat and such so I have given up and now just lash it with my pack for trip in. When hunting or short trips I just use those V's or whatever they are and no boot.similat to the ones in this pic that I quick searched for

http://www.cabelas.com/atv-gun-bow-racks.shtml

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast