Thread: 1911 Upgrades

Default 1911 Upgrades

So I just picked up my first 1911 in a trade and I'm wondering what all a guy could/should do to one of these from the factory to help it out a little. Not saying anything is wrong with it the way it is, just curious about what all I can do to it. It's a Kimber Tactical Pro II and I'm thinking about converting it to .460 Rowland. I may have it cerakoted as well. This will be a daily carry gun, but I also want to take it to the range pretty often and start dialing her in... Right now it has an ambidextrous thumb safety on it and I think I want to change that to left side only so I can add a Crimson Trace grip to it.

My advice would be to first get it to the range and shoot the heck out of it, then shoot it more. Should be nothing wrong with it the way it came from the factory. There are many upgrades you can do yourself with some learning and trial/error. A lot of people want to immediately start swapping out parts on a 1911 to try and improve it, myself included. My vote would be invest in ammo and practice. The safety change out is a reasonably easy deal. Go to Brownell's or Midway ect... buy your safety and install it. Most likely will require fitting of engagement area by careful filing. You should pick up a good DVD, book or 2 on the 1911 platform before you dive in as it is not exactly a modular parts swap type of weapon. Last thing you want is to render your 1911 unsafe by misfit home gun smithing. If you don't want the bother, should be plenty of smith's able to change out your safety for you so you can add the Crimson Trace grips.

For the most part, any decent brand 1911 should be sound as it comes from the factory. Most things you can do to improve it will likely lead to expensive parts replacement and fitting and might or might not add to the improved function of the weapon. Definitely want to shoot lots of rounds thru it including your carry ammo to prove reliability and function.

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTERKJL View Post
    My advice would be to first get it to the range and shoot the heck out of it, then shoot it more. Should be nothing wrong with it the way it came from the factory. There are many upgrades you can do yourself with some learning and trial/error. A lot of people want to immediately start swapping out parts on a 1911 to try and improve it, myself included. My vote would be invest in ammo and practice. The safety change out is a reasonably easy deal. Go to Brownell's or Midway ect... buy your safety and install it. Most likely will require fitting of engagement area by careful filing. You should pick up a good DVD, book or 2 on the 1911 platform before you dive in as it is not exactly a modular parts swap type of weapon. Last thing you want is to render your 1911 unsafe by misfit home gun smithing. If you don't want the bother, should be plenty of smith's able to change out your safety for you so you can add the Crimson Trace grips.

For the most part, any decent brand 1911 should be sound as it comes from the factory. Most things you can do to improve it will likely lead to expensive parts replacement and fitting and might or might not add to the improved function of the weapon. Definitely want to shoot lots of rounds thru it including your carry ammo to prove reliability and function.

Thanks for your advice. I agree with everything you've said. The only thing is that I kinda feel like I should wait on the conversion before I start tearing up the range since it'll be essentially a new gun with new ballistics...

That Kimber should be good to go. I wouldn't change a thing. If the safety really bothers you do it up but kimber makes a pretty complete package.
    I would skip the lazer grip as well, and learn how to shoot it. Go to Wilson Combat's web page and order a copy of their maintenance manual, it is great to have on your bench, they also make first rate parts if you ever need them.

Here's a link to $10 well spent. The combat auto is also a good book.
    http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-C...oductinfo/401/

Any comments and info on converting an aluminum framed 1911 to .460 Rowland?? I've kicked round doing Ito my Kimber CustomTacII.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

If you really want a CTC grip and aren't confident in fitting a new safety, most ambis can be trimmed on the right side to work with the laser.