Thread: .338 rum

Default .338 rum

Recently purchased a .338 RUM on a Remington Model 700 action. Being a .338 WM fan, owning several different rifles over the years, I thought this caliber would provide the same qualities of the .338WM with more powder capacity for higher levels of performance. I found it very similar to the .338 Lapua and of it's ballistics.

Knowing the versatility of the caliber, and of it's bullet properties, is there anybody out there that uses the the .338 RUM ? Experiences would be appreciated.

Joe

Is it a factory rifle or a custom job? Does it have a break? How long of a barrel? What scope? The RUM's are best used for long range(ish) shooting in my opinion or why bother. Brass is hard to find for the 338, when you do find it, buy all you need.

Default .338 rum

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    Is it a factory rifle or a custom job? Does it have a break? How long of a barrel? What scope? The RUM's are best used for long range(ish) shooting in my opinion or why bother. Brass is hard to find for the 338, when you do find it, buy all you need.

It is a stock factory barrel, 26" in total length, no brake/arrestor, and I have a Nikon Monarch on top of it. I know some people that work in the Dundee, Michigan Cabelas store, and all of them reload the .338 RUM and stock it for that purpose alone. I target shoot, but do not hunt anymore.

Thanks,

Joe

I had a browning abolt in 338 RUM and found retumbo to be about the best powder for it. 225gr accubonds with 103.0gr of REtumbo gave me 3140fps and excellent accuracy. It is a long range hammer on big game. You can get it punched out to 338 Edge really easily to shoot the heaviest bullets at better velocities and easy to come by brass from forming 300 and 375 RUM brass. I'd really look into going with the wyatt extended magazine box as it allows for a COL of nearly 4" and that will buy you case capacity with the longer heavy 338 cal bullets.

Add to that a new trigger and ditch that silly Remington stock. I just had my 300 RUM box lengthen out. About $100 for gunsmith and parts total. If you are shooting paper, try those super high BC Berger bullets. If you email Berger, they will give you what reload data they have. You may have to start reloading if you do not already just to afford to shoot that bad boy. Sounds like fun.

All my buddies call my 338 RUM "thumper" .. When it hits the target it goes WHACK! And critters collapse !! I use retumbo powder & speer GS 250 & sierra BT 250 around the 2850 to 2900 FPS mark.