Thread: Eklutna Snow Level?

Default Eklutna Snow Level?

Well guys I am scheduled to be in the area on the 30 Apr but was hoping to get a little info on the current snow depth and how fast it is disappearing so I can work out some of the last minute planning. If anyone could help me out I would appreciate it.

Thanks
    Dave

If you need snowshoes they are sitting at the house. Anything else you need? How much time are you going to have to hunt? That should be a good time to start looking for those brown bears.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

It's accumulating (not disappearing) today.

We were there yesterday (4/5/12) for a little early season hiking up the twin peaks trail. Quite a bit of snow left below tree line, mostly hard packed in the trees on the trail, in a few areas are starting to rot and we did encounter a couple of areas where we potholed a bit usually no deeper than knee level.

Once we broke treeline we left the trail and climbed up the side of the mountain. Much of the snow is gone up high, either from wind or sun exposure (we were on the south facing side)...

Every year is different, but I can tell you we were able to bike past the far end of the lake on May 13th last year and the lakeside trail was clear with a couple exceptions:

Saturday had 4.5 more inches at 10 AM mile 2 Eklutna RD. Higher MTNS loked like they had a lot more.

Thanks guys.

Rob, if it keeps up I may have to take you up on those snow shoes. My brother is going to be going with me, his first trip to Alaska. If I am successful I might have to look at getting him on a fishing charter.

I hope things are going as good as possible for you guys over there. Let me know if you need anything. And I apologize for not hitting up you up more. Take care of yourself and I should be seeing you next January.

Any updates on the Lake trail and or Twin Peaks trail up to tree line area like Becca and her hubby did? Sure have had tons of sunshine and more expected with decent temps. Might go check it out today, any bear sightings up there yet?

Well I will be headed to Alaska on Sunday, so just wondering if anyone has been to Eklutna Lake recently. Just wondering how the snow levels are.

Anybody been up there in the last week?

Haven't seen anybody post anything so I assume not
    Diamond Marquis

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Sniper View Post
    Anybody been up there in the last week?

Haven't seen anybody post anything so I assume not
    L@@kin_4_holes better be back in there finding a brown bear or I am going to disown him as a friend!

Well jsut spent the last week out at the lake and things seem to be picking up. Sunday we saw a good looking brown bear 3.5 miles away and about 2400 hundred feet above us. We tried to make a move on him but when we got there he was gone. The only action other bear we saw was a sow black bear with cub, so just sat and watched her for the last few days. Did see some fresh scat walking out last night but no luck.

But as far as the snow level, it is melting quick and the lake should be iced out in the next week.

Bronco,

I will say I wasn't planning on being above the sheep trying to find a brown bear. Oh, doesn't look like my egg is going to hatch.

It has been a blast, though.

Sorry to hear you guys didn't connect with a bear but it is good to hear you two had a good time out there!